C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushing coolant out the overflow tube

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:33 AM
NitrousMan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Pushing coolant out the overflow tube

I'm having an issue with coolant pushing out the overflow tube on the coolant tank on my LS7 when I'm on the boost. I can drive it around town normal without getting into the boost and it never looses coolant. Nothing in the oil and I don't see or smell anything in the exhaust. I've done a leak down test and all cylinders look good with no bubbles in the coolant. I did the leak down test with the motor warm and then again with it cold to see if there was a difference but it still tested ok. I've replaced upper and lower coolant hoses plus added a spring to the lower in case it was collapsing under boost. Any ideas on what else it could be? Motor temp is always good and the system will still have pressure in it after the car has sat for more than 24 hours. Running 10 lbs of boost and the motor is all forged with ARP head studs. I know under boost its seeing way more than 100 psi like the leak down test uses so anything else I should check before pulling the heads to install new gaskets and check for warpage? Would a bad thermostat cause something like this? Short bursts of throttle don't seem to be an issue its more when I stay in for more than 4-5 seconds. It may be the heads are lifting after a while under boost but I'm hoping to avoid pulling the heads if it could be something else. Thanks for any ideas to check.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:29 AM
SPIN20
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe try a new resovoir cap?
Old 07-02-2015, 08:45 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Agree... test or try a new cap... if not that sounds like lifting heads a bit.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:16 PM
maustin195
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My guess is lifting a head gasket under boost. I have a turbo sled that only does it above 15 psi. Stay below that and no leak. Has never gotten better or worse.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:07 PM
NitrousMan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SPIN20
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe try a new resovoir cap?
Sorry I forgot to post I replaced the cap too. Do the reservoirs ever get warped at the neck? What about torquing the head studs again? It's been a few years since the motor was built.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:09 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Sounds like it's detonating, creating excess cylinder pressure and lifting the head. The MLS gaskets are usually good about resealing provided they aren't torched. I had this happen on an overly aggressive tune once.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:22 PM
sr71bb
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Well It is almost certain you have hurt a head gasket. This condition unfortunately will only get worse. To properly fix this you are going to have to remove BOTH heads and check them to make sure you still have a perfectly flat head surface. It is VERY likely that you will need to mill the heads to get them perfectly flat again. Usually a .005 pass on the heads will do the trick. The block side is usually OK.

In the meantime, go easy with the car. Try not to do any full throttle runs. If it were my car I would make sure I kept it under 3000 RPM until I get things fixed.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:56 PM
NitrousMan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Sounds like it's detonating, creating excess cylinder pressure and lifting the head. The MLS gaskets are usually good about resealing provided they aren't torched. I had this happen on an overly aggressive tune once.
I didn't see any signs of detonation on the Pistons or plugs when I was taking a look with my bore scope. Dr. Phil did the tune a few years ago and he was pretty conservative with the tune since I street drive it a lot on pump gas. Would I be able to see if it's pulling timing out with HP tuners connected while making a run?
Old 07-03-2015, 08:39 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by NitrousMan
I didn't see any signs of detonation on the Pistons or plugs when I was taking a look with my bore scope. Dr. Phil did the tune a few years ago and he was pretty conservative with the tune since I street drive it a lot on pump gas. Would I be able to see if it's pulling timing out with HP tuners connected while making a run?
Yes.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Why dont you replace thermostat and burp system again first before you rebuild. Would suck to do a rebuild or pull engine when there is no need. I had this happen to me on my bike it would spit out coolant when rev hard, i replaced radiator, rad cap, thermostat, replaced coolant flush n fill, replaced thermo sensor.. Not sure which one it was but never ever overheated after and never spit out fluids again.. I think my thermo was stuck or had air in system..
Old 07-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Louis Gigliotti
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sr71bb
Well It is almost certain you have hurt a head gasket. This condition unfortunately will only get worse. To properly fix this you are going to have to remove BOTH heads and check them to make sure you still have a perfectly flat head surface. It is VERY likely that you will need to mill the heads to get them perfectly flat again. Usually a .005 pass on the heads will do the trick. The block side is usually OK.

In the meantime, go easy with the car. Try not to do any full throttle runs. If it were my car I would make sure I kept it under 3000 RPM until I get things fixed.
Is that how you "drove your car 5k miles with no issue" after RR?
Old 07-04-2015, 07:05 PM
sr71bb
Racer

Originally Posted by Louis Gigliotti
Is that how you "drove your car 5k miles with no issue" after RR?
Whats your point? You obviously know more about my car than I do. LOL Hell maybe I have just been driving the SOB in my dreams. Regardless of what you may think this car was certainly faster than anything you or your customers had at RR,,,,,,,,,,,,PERIOD,
Old 07-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Louis Gigliotti
Instructor

Whats your point? You obviously know more about my car than I do. LOL Hell maybe I have just been driving the SOB in my dreams. Regardless of what you may think this car was certainly faster than anything you or your customers had at RR,,,,,,,,,,,,PERIOD,

Actually, the car I tuned beat your car in the final.

I was simply asking a question. I saw the water pouring out every pass, and if your "recommendation was to keep it below 3k, and not beat on it till you can fix it" was from experi mce, it was obviously hurt more than anyone led on.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:20 PM
sr71bb
Racer

Actually, the car I tuned beat your car in the final.

I was simply asking a question. I saw the water pouring out every pass, and if your "recommendation was to keep it below 3k, and not beat on it till you can fix it" was from experi mce, it was obviously hurt more than anyone led on.
I deleted my response to this because after thinking about it , I was being as *******! LOL

Last edited by sr71bb; 07-05-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Louis Gigliotti
Instructor

OK you mean the one with the F1X car than was a 1000 pounds lighter . All you did was tune that car, you had nothing to do with the installation. So the simple tuning of that car makes it YOUR car???

That Corvette was a beast and he deserved the win but PROPERLY tuned and that car should make 1200 RWHP PLUS.

Have any idea where THAT car is now being tuned?

I would tread lightly. FLAME ON
Boy, your shop and scare tactics.

The car didn't break out, it had a stock motor, it exceeded the customers expectations. It's
No fault of mine he took it elsewhere. He wants to drink that coolaid, he can. He has no money to build an engine if it breaks, and no need to make the power level its at.

No need to tread lightly. Your car hurt a head gasket, tuned by the same place he took his car to? Ok!
Old 07-04-2015, 07:57 PM
sr71bb
Racer

Well frankly, my car also exceeded expectations. With the exception of a ECS supercharged C7 corvette, it was a little underpowered with the F1R and it certainly was alot heavier in the *** than the other cars that AMP had a hand in, We thought that it would be good to get in at least the top 16 but it ran better than expected and we ran 7th fastest in qualifications.

Logically the car SHOULDNT have made the finals but it was very consistent within 1MPH on each run (final was exception) despite what you were seeing between rounds. The final round was a disappointment because the SOB wouldnt go into 4th gear at 7700 RPM which I blame now on the Centerforce DYAD clutch. THAT is being changed out now as we speak.

Boy, your shop and scare tactics.

The car didn't break out, it had a stock motor, it exceeded the customers expectations. It's
No fault of mine he took it elsewhere. He wants to drink that coolaid, he can. He has no money to build an engine if it breaks, and no need to make the power level its at.

No need to tread lightly. Your car hurt a head gasket, tuned by the same place he took his car to? Ok!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Louis Gigliotti
Instructor

Well frankly, my car also exceeded expectations. With the exception of a ECS supercharged C7 corvette, it was a little underpowered with the F1R and it certainly was alot heavier in the *** than the other cars that AMP had a hand in, We thought that it would be good to get in at least the top 16 but it ran better than expected and we ran 7th fastest in qualifications.

Logically the car SHOULDNT have made the finals but it was very consistent within 1MPH on each run (final was exception) despite what you were seeing between rounds. The final round was a disappointment because the SOB wouldnt go into 4th gear at 7700 RPM which I blame now on the Centerforce DYAD clutch. THAT is being changed out now as we speak.
I agree. Your son can drive!

Get notified of new replies

To Pushing coolant out the overflow tube

Old 07-05-2015, 10:28 PM
NitrousMan
Burning Brakes

So since you guys are done with the thread hijack do you have any other ideas besides a head gasket as to what could cause it to push coolant out under load?
Old 07-05-2015, 10:40 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Cracked head/block?

I can't think of anything good that can be causing it, assuming the cap is in good shape and holding pressure. The only way it should overflow is if it's seeing too much pressure. It can only see too much pressure by getting way, way too hot, or from something else pressurizing it. i.e. cylinder pressure.

There are test kits that you can buy that will test for the presence of combustion gases in the coolant if you want to be sure that's what it is.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Louis Gigliotti
Instructor

Originally Posted by NitrousMan
So since you guys are done with the thread hijack do you have any other ideas besides a head gasket as to what could cause it to push coolant out under load?
Take some timing out and see if it still does it.

Most likely it needs head gaskets. MLS gaskets seal
Up well, but they are not invincible.

Quick Reply: Pushing coolant out the overflow tube