C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 highway coolant temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 12:24 AM
desert-vette
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Z06 highway coolant temps

Hello everyone,

As the title says, I have a C6 Z06 with an A&A V3 supercharger. As happens fairly often with these, my fan connector melted and my fan stopped working a few days ago.
The garage I work on stuff is about an hour away from my house and to ensure I wouldn't have any issues with the fried connector I pulled the fuse and set out today. There are some lights around my house but most of the drive is wide open 4-lane highway so with temps around 80 I wasn't worried about the car getting warm. Anyways, it seemed I caught every light on my way out and the car got to around 200 before I got to where the road opened up. I was able to drive for about 30 mins and even with the heat on and 60-65 mph speeds the car never cooled down below 200 for more than a few mins, which is not normal for my car. On this same trip (with similar weather temps) a few weeks ago the car ran mid 180s.
I was very surprised by the higher temps as it seems my fan must be running a lot more than I expected, including when I'm running down the highway at speeds above 50 mph.
I wondered if this was the normal or if I'm having some sort of issue with the car? I know that the intercooler blocks a good bit of airflow to the radiator but what have you guys seen?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

200 is nothing. Fans on stock cars don't even kick on high until 225 or so. C7s run 220ish normally. Even 200 on your car is below where it runs from the factory. Don't worry about it. If you start seeing 240+ then you have an issue.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Agreed, bone stock my car was 220 dunno why people freak out over that lol. Id be freaked out at 240-250
Old 07-04-2015, 09:25 AM
desert-vette
Navigator

Originally Posted by Unreal
200 is nothing. Fans on stock cars don't even kick on high until 225 or so. C7s run 220ish normally. Even 200 on your car is below where it runs from the factory. Don't worry about it. If you start seeing 240+ then you have an issue.
Thanks for the reply, Unreal.

I wasn't really concerned with the temps, but I guess I was surprised that my fan must be running when I'm at speeds above 45 mph to keep the car cooler than it would be without. I didn't realize that it was running once I was going down the road until I had pulled the fuse because of my melted connector. I always figured that above 40 or so air moving through the radiator would be all of the cooling it would need.
I figure it's perfectly fine and I'm overthinking the whole thing.
Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by desert-vette
Thanks for the reply, Unreal.

I wasn't really concerned with the temps, but I guess I was surprised that my fan must be running when I'm at speeds above 45 mph to keep the car cooler than it would be without. I didn't realize that it was running once I was going down the road until I had pulled the fuse because of my melted connector. I always figured that above 40 or so air moving through the radiator would be all of the cooling it would need.
I figure it's perfectly fine and I'm overthinking the whole thing.
Thanks again.
I installed a Dashlogic device into my ODBII port and one of the things that I monitor is my fan speed percentage as compared to my coolant temps. My tune and fan speed have been modified from stock (along with a 160 degree stat) after the A&A kit installation and my original tuner had the fan running a lot more to keep temps lower. My current tuner was concerned about running the fan that high would melt the connectors so he turned it down somewhat. My car currently runs about 105-110 degrees above outside ambient temps while cruising 70-75 mph highway speeds on level roads. When the outside temps get above 85 degrees or so and my coolant gets up to 190-195 or so, my fan will start to come on at a various speed percentages to try and maintain that temp and keep it from going higher (even at freeway speeds).
Old 07-04-2015, 09:59 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I don't even turn my fans on until high 190's and they don't get to pretty high until 210'ish. Plenty of cars run over 210 all the time.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:38 AM
desert-vette
Navigator

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I don't even turn my fans on until high 190's and they don't get to pretty high until 210'ish. Plenty of cars run over 210 all the time.
Thanks for the comments, guys.

I might have to look into having that changed for the same reasons. I'm sure my fans are coming on earlier than stock and from what I saw on my drive yesterday it appears they are running a good bit even cruising down the highway. I'd rather not have a fan (or something else) burn up from running too much.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 highway coolant temps

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 highway coolant temps