C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS tensioner bolt broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:59 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

On mine the idler was still there, just basically tilted sideways towards the head unit. I didn't see it until after the belt was snapped, so I have no idea what it looked like before that.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:47 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
On mine the idler was still there, just basically tilted sideways towards the head unit. I didn't see it until after the belt was snapped, so I have no idea what it looked like before that.
Interesting, I'm going to sit down with the crew here and make some decisions, odd that this is just now becoming an issue, but regardless we'll look into this.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:03 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

for whatever it's worth the tensioner on my procharger A&A backet was also bent recently for no good reason too, it's the old style bracket and i know they have since upgraded the tensioner setup on all new brackets but just making the point that this is not an ECS specific issue as all the blower kit providers have had past issues with tensioners.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:07 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Originally Posted by neverstop
for whatever it's worth the tensioner on my procharger A&A backet was also bent recently for no good reason too, it's the old style bracket and i know they have since upgraded the tensioner setup on all new brackets but just making the point that this is not an ECS specific issue as all the blower kit providers have had past issues with tensioners.
This is a bolt breaking on an idler, not the tensioner. I'm wondering if we changed hardware manufactures or something for this to be an issue now after the kit being this same way for years. I'll get to the bottom of it.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:10 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

ARP L19 tensioner bolt
Old 08-26-2015, 03:15 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
This is a bolt breaking on an idler, not the tensioner. I'm wondering if we changed hardware manufactures or something for this to be an issue now after the kit being this same way for years. I'll get to the bottom of it.
I replaced mine with a cheap'o bolt from Lowes and I haven't had any problems since. I don't remember the grade #'s, but the replacement was a lower grade bolt than the one that came with the kit (because that's all Lowe's had in a full threaded version)

My belief is the portion of the bolt that threads into the idler is coming loose when people are tightening the nut that holds the manual tensioner still. This creates a small gap between the idler and the bracket. This makes it possible for the tension on the idler to bend the bolt, causing it to eventually break. If it's tight, it can't bend, and the only way it's breaking is if there is enough force to basically shear the bolt in half.

Given that this portion of the belt is on the "loose" section of belt, I don't see it having enough force to shear the bolt

I would have to take a better look at it to be sure I'm remembering how it works properly, but that is my best guess going from what I remember when I replaced mine.

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-26-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced mine with a cheap'o bolt from Lowes and I haven't had any problems since. I don't remember the grade #'s, but the replacement was a lower grade bolt than the one that came with the kit (because that's all Lowe's had in a full threaded version)

My belief is the portion of the bolt that threads into the idler is coming loose when people are tightening the nut that holds the manual tensioner still. This creates a small gap between the idler and the bracket. This makes it possible for the tension on the idler to bend the bolt, causing it to eventually break. If it's tight, it can't bend, and the only way it's breaking is if there is enough force to basically shear the bolt in half.

Given that this portion of the belt is on the "loose" section of belt, I don't see it having enough force to shear the bolt

I would have to take a better look at it to be sure I'm remembering how it works properly, but that is my best guess going from what I remember when I replaced mine.
That is exactly what I've been trying to bring to everyone's attention. I don't think the bolts are bad. It doesn't have to be very loose to put a lot of extra stress on it and unless it's really tight, that nyloc nut has just enough grip to back the bolt out slightly before the nut gets tight. Some loctite on the bolt where it threads into the bracket and replacing the nyloc nut with a regular nut and lock washer fixed the issue for me so far.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:01 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
Some loctite on the bolt where it threads into the bracket and replacing the nyloc nut with a regular nut and lock washer fixed the issue for me so far.
I used a B7 bolt - the local bolt supply warehouse did not have any "all threaded" grade 8 in 3/8" 16 3.5" - B7 is 97K versus the Grade 8 being 130K. I used a regular nut and lock washer as opposed to the nyloc along with thread lock where the bolt screws thru the bracket as Xtreme did. The car now makes a solid 12 psi and the belt alignment has held steady.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Yahelou
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

basically the same as mine. dealt with this last month. and also with my friends car a couple of months before then.

didnt realize the bolt was broken until I saw the belt was off a rib.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:29 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
That is exactly what I've been trying to bring to everyone's attention. I don't think the bolts are bad. It doesn't have to be very loose to put a lot of extra stress on it and unless it's really tight, that nyloc nut has just enough grip to back the bolt out slightly before the nut gets tight. Some loctite on the bolt where it threads into the bracket and replacing the nyloc nut with a regular nut and lock washer fixed the issue for me so far.
Yep! I completely understand what you're saying now. Whenever I have the manual tensioner loose on mine again I'll probably go with some loctite on the portion of the bolt that threads into the tensioner and/or switch to a different type of nut on the end, like you had suggested. Can't hurt.

Originally Posted by Yahelou
basically the same as mine. dealt with this last month. and also with my friends car a couple of months before then.

didnt realize the bolt was broken until I saw the belt was off a rib.
This is looking like a pretty common issue. Will be interesting to see what changes are or aren't made to help.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:47 AM
DOUG @ ECS

What we have decided on, which is exactly what you guys have concluded as well it appears, is that the bolt must be backing out a bit. It's the only thing that makes sense.

We are going to assemble them with a really hard lock tight and if anything in the assembly every needs replacing like an idler, we will just send the entire assembly.

Thanks for your input guys, we appreciate it.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:10 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Good to see you are improving the system.

Any particular kind of loctite? I was going to just put regular red loctite on mine next time I have it off (which is hopefully no time soon!)
Old 08-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Doug. I think the loctite will probably do the job. Switching from the nyloc nut to a regular nut with a lock washer also seems to help.

I used loctite 272 which is for bolts over 1" but the normal 271 should be plenty. You just have to let it set up a little.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

yup bolt snapped right in the center FSP showed it to me when I went to pick up the car
Old 08-29-2015, 09:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Wonder why it happened to so many of us all at once? If I ever have that off I may try to find a stronger bolt to use in the future. I'm not sure what's above grade 8 though?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:16 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm not sure what's above grade 8 though?
There's not much in SAE above Grade 8. There are 9 and 10.9 but they're not readily available & most likely not in 3/8"
Old 08-31-2015, 10:50 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
Welp - add me to the list as mine just snapped. Luckily I was at home when it happened.
As habit when I park the car at home, I pop the hood to let the heat out. I had been on the freeway giving it "the business" following the changing of the plugs (took out TR6 and put in some BR7EF gap .28 - wow, cured all my high rpm stutter/misfire issues) and noticed the belt was off 1 rib. Curious as I hadn't seen that issue once I got the alignment correct a few weeks back. Get the belt loose, back on the pulley correctly and as I go to tighten it back up - the tensioner bolt halved itself

Pretty much the same area that everyone else experiences.

Not falling on deaf ears. As schpenexel stated, I noticed that about mine as well. I actually took a shaved down open end to wedge down in there to to tighten bolt (as much as I could).
My bolt is missing the spacer... Wounder if that's a big deal, I have to change mine out cuz the bolt got stripped I always used the size wrenched that was in instructions / belt video but I always seemed a little too large and that bottom bolt the head got stripped and I need to change, the top bolt seems to fit the wrench better tho! What size wrench are you guys using?

Get notified of new replies

To ECS tensioner bolt broken

Old 08-31-2015, 11:26 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
There's not much in SAE above Grade 8. There are 9 and 10.9 but they're not readily available & most likely not in 3/8"
Ah.. well, that sucks then! Grade 8 should work, though.

Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
My bolt is missing the spacer... Wounder if that's a big deal, I have to change mine out cuz the bolt got stripped I always used the size wrenched that was in instructions / belt video but I always seemed a little too large and that bottom bolt the head got stripped and I need to change, the top bolt seems to fit the wrench better tho! What size wrench are you guys using?
You mean the thick washer that is under the head of the bolt in the picture above?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:06 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Ah.. well, that sucks then! Grade 8 should work, though.

You mean the thick washer that is under the head of the bolt in the picture above?
Yea the washer... Did I say spacer lol, I'm still tired from corvettes @ Carlisle ahaha
Old 08-31-2015, 01:43 PM
Yahelou
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
What we have decided on, which is exactly what you guys have concluded as well it appears, is that the bolt must be backing out a bit. It's the only thing that makes sense.

We are going to assemble them with a really hard lock tight and if anything in the assembly every needs replacing like an idler, we will just send the entire assembly.

Thanks for your input guys, we appreciate it.
so do u recommend applying loctite on the bolt thats already installed or leaving it as is?

Quick Reply: ECS tensioner bolt broken