C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 402 Ysi build underway!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:36 PM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default LS2 402 Ysi build underway!!!

Hey guys. Well it's been a long time coming but we are getting started this week on the build. Going with a forged 402 and running 9.2 to 1 compression. Last year we put down a healthy 486 rwhp on the stock ls2 with a mild heads and cam package. I'm keeping the same heads and fast 102. Gonna be running a McLeod rxt clutch and tick adjustable clutch master cylinder. Installing the 10 rib ysi with the second drive kit, 52 mm bov, 92 # injectors, hd tensioner with a 3.85 pulley now and innovators west 10% overdrive pulley 8". Just for now as I'm not gonna be running meth until next spring. Also installing a boost a pump just for now until next spring as well. The cam I'm not changing until next year once we install the meth, and stage 2 fuel system from Andy at A&A. The cam I'm currently using is 231/239.617/.624 113 lsa. Also running kooks 1 3/4 lts with corsa exhaust. So what do you guys think I'll be laying down for boost and hp numbers. Josh thinks I'll be right around 11 psi or so and probably be in the 700 rwhp area. I know the cam is not the best but it will have to do for now. I'm planning on running the Ecs big blower cam next year. Cheers guys!!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:42 AM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

A 3.85 pulley is a bit bigger than most put on a Ysi, but I see you're not doing meth yet... Josh is probably correct on his estimate. When you do the new cam, do the meth too...it's very worth it.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:50 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

No idea why you wouldn't put a good blower cam in while it's apart and do a little bigger headers, and pulley down. That YSI is basically robbing hp from you with that giant pulley which doesn't put it in its peak prime efficiency range. I'd sell your headers, get some 1 7/8's, swap in a good blower cam, and pulley it to a 3.0 and enjoy the car. Do it one time and be done. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:08 AM
achaluja
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck on your new build ! If you dont want to wait for a 402 low cr , i have one for sale and will give you a good price on it , engine its at Matt's from FSP in Bradenton FL its got LS3 intake and LS3 CNC heads ...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-parts-for-sale-wanted/3679937-fully-assembled-402-w-ls3-top-end.html

Last edited by achaluja; 07-16-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:15 AM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Originally Posted by achaluja
Good luck on your new build ! If you dont want to wait for a 402 low cr , i have one for sale and will give you a good price on it , engine its at Matt's from FSP in Bradenton FL its got LS3 intake and LS3 CNC heads ...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...3-top-end.html
Thanks for the offer man but its already in the process of being done.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:18 AM
achaluja
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6vettegfw
Thanks for the offer man but its already in the process of being done.
Good luck keep us posted !!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:36 AM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Originally Posted by winters97gt
No idea why you wouldn't put a good blower cam in while it's apart and do a little bigger headers, and pulley down. That YSI is basically robbing hp from you with that giant pulley which doesn't put it in its peak prime efficiency range. I'd sell your headers, get some 1 7/8's, swap in a good blower cam, and pulley it to a 3.0 and enjoy the car. Do it one time and be done. Good luck.
Hey bud well I've already spent enough money on this build for this year. I work offshore in oil and gas. With the price of oil being so low my job could be gone any day so I have to try and stick with my budget. For me to make this into a 1000 rwhp car at the moment I would probably have to throw another five to ten tthousand at it in upgrades to make it work. For example stage 2 fuel system, meth, direct drive kit, and a **** load of drive train upgrades not to mention additional labour and tuning. Right now its just not feesable. In order for me to pulley down I would need a better fuel system that's for sure. So for now its a big pulley with the boost a pump on my stock pump with a conservative tune until next year where I crank it up and aim for 900 or so. Cheers bud.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:57 AM
newvetteguy9
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey brother i'm not trying to change things up for you, but you may want to rethink running a FAST on a boosted motor. I highly recommend you sell it and go back to a stock intake manifold if budget is in mind. I've personally seen FAST collapse internals under even light boost pressures. If you would be interested when I get out of work I can post/pm pictures of what happens.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:17 AM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Awesome sounding build. Are you running the stock LS2 fuel pump and BAP for the time being? Wasn't sure if you had any other pump already installed.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:03 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I would bump the compression closer too or just over 10.0, 9.2 is going to be lazy out of boost and rob you of fuel efficiency when cruising.

I also wouldn't run a pulley any bigger than a 3.0" on a YSI, if you don't spin that blower in its efficiency range there is no reason to have a blower that big. Its going to build power like a turd if you spin it that slow. Not to mention no need for a 10 rib drive with a pulley that big, 8 rib holds a 3.0" with no problem. I would just put a 2.75" on it like most of us and be done with it.

Last edited by SquatchMachining; 07-16-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:40 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Lot of good advice here. I would go with closer to 10:1 compression. No need or advantage to lower. I don't think you will enjoy the car the way you are setting this up. As mentioned, the YSI will be a dog down low with that pulley and compression. IMO if you don't have the funds to do it right, maybe consider a smaller blower to enjoy, and then trade it up when you are ready to do the supporting mods.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:33 PM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining
I would bump the compression closer too or just over 10.0, 9.2 is going to be lazy out of boost and rob you of fuel efficiency when cruising.

I also wouldn't run a pulley any bigger than a 3.0" on a YSI, if you don't spin that blower in its efficiency range there is no reason to have a blower that big. Its going to build power like a turd if you spin it that slow. Not to mention no need for a 10 rib drive with a pulley that big, 8 rib holds a 3.0" with no problem. I would just put a 2.75" on it like most of us and be done with it.
I would but I don't have a fuel system to support that pulley. It's only the stock fuel pump and boost a pump for now.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:38 PM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Lot of good advice here. I would go with closer to 10:1 compression. No need or advantage to lower. I don't think you will enjoy the car the way you are setting this up. As mentioned, the YSI will be a dog down low with that pulley and compression. IMO if you don't have the funds to do it right, maybe consider a smaller blower to enjoy, and then trade it up when you are ready to do the supporting mods.
I'm not gonna waste money on a smaller blower dude. Your Canadian so you know the score for weather up here. I'm home in a couple weeks for a month. Then I'm back to work in Asia until the end of September when I pick up the car so I'll only get one month of use out of it. Come the spring it's gomna have all the upgrades required to hit 1000 rwhp. So logically buying a smaller blower for one months use doesn't sound like a very financially smart thing to do. I was told by many great guys on this forum to just get the ysi if your planning on going for high hp to save money. That's the plan!!! Roll on May 2016!!!! Ha ha.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:40 PM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Originally Posted by GS_DAN
Awesome sounding build. Are you running the stock LS2 fuel pump and BAP for the time being? Wasn't sure if you had any other pump already installed.
Just the stock ls2 pump with bap
Old 07-16-2015, 12:42 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You are making a huge mistake. Even if you make 700 rwhp, that is not enough fuel. You are risking a brand new motor doing things this way.

Just my 2 cents.... but good luck with the build. 402 and YSI is a great combo done right. I can vouch for that.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:45 PM
staticki
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I would suggest going with the larger blower and only do it once. Then add the 2.75" pulley and add a wastegate to the system to bleed off excessive boost pressure. You are going to quickly run out of fuel though.

Also, since you are a LS2 car, I would suggest running a LS3 MAF.

Last edited by staticki; 07-16-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:46 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Originally Posted by realcanuk
You are making a huge mistake. Even if you make 700 rwhp, that is not enough fuel. You are risking a brand new motor doing things this way.

Just my 2 cents.... but good luck with the build. 402 and YSI is a great combo done right. I can vouch for that.

I agree, that fuel system is not safe to go over 600whp in my opinion. More fuel is better in this game, you don't want to gamble with the fuel system.

The 402 is going to be a total slug with the YSI pullied like that and the low compression.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 402 Ysi build underway!!!

Old 07-16-2015, 12:48 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Originally Posted by staticki
I would suggest going with the larger blower and only do it once. Then add the 2.75" pulley and add a wastegate to the system to bleed off excessive boost pressure.

Have you tried a wastegate with a blower before? Or is this just bench racing advice?

Ive done it and it does not work very well, pulley the blower properly and leave it alone.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Agreed.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:36 PM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Just so everybody knows.... I took some of the advice here. I just ordered a&a stage 2 fuel system, the alky twin nozzle meth kit, and the auto meter dual gauge pod with the cobalt boost gauge!!! Skipped on the 3.85 pulley went with a 3.0 pulley and aiming for around 17 psi and close to 900!!!!!! Cheers guys. The wife is going to kill me lol!!!!!

Quick Reply: LS2 402 Ysi build underway!!!