C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPS triple or what other option is there for 1000+RWHP ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 04:43 PM
BRING IT
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
1.4-1.5 short times, full street trim

Launching a high HP Corvette - YouTube
Looks good! What power level with those launches?
Old 07-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Icevettez06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'm pretty on par with Ben.

I've cut 1.5's with 4 different clutches. Stock LS7, ACT, Spec, and Mcleod. You couldn't break my old stock C6 driveline after I finally swapped to the Mcleod at 800-850rwhp if you slipped it and didn't dump it high. Everything else just smokes(ceramic) or bites. I've got videos of launching almost all the clutches.

Really bad to see my new Mcleod crap out in my C5 at 887rwhp on the first pass before we even leaned it out or added timing. That's why we want to see real track results with the clutches.

John's car is a beast. I have a similar setup, we've chatted over the years here and on YouTube. I have the same ECS blower setup as his car. But for guys that now race as their secondary hobby, like myself since I have a few bay boats, and I'm not rich, I can't just buy a clutch without results. My wallet isn't that fat. Especially on 17-18 inch drag radials without a drag pack, etc.

There are quit some collection of clutches that can handle 800- 850RWHP just like the twin RPS I have and I have no issue cutting 1,4-1,5 60” but this is about handling 1000+ RWHP and 1000+RWTQ and still be able to handle soft fast takeoff on prepped dragstrip. It looks to me on your video like your clutch is smoking little at each takeoff seen from behind your car?
Old 07-26-2015, 10:11 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Our cars trapped 1mph difference, and I'm quite sure is heavier than yours. So, whatever dyno we each used, they were putting about the same power down. I've driven a CTSV with less power but at 5000lbs I roasted a stronger clutch on launch.

My RXT gave out first pull on a dyno in my C5 at 878rwhp. That was on a mustang dyno, rich, with no timing. Probably would have been ~940rwhp once tuned. Higher on a dynojet most likely.

So I'm in the same boat looking for a clutch in the 1000rwhp range. Yes, clutch dust is common when you slip them. Just watch some of Rangers videos on launching corvettes.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:22 AM
Icevettez06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our cars trapped 1mph difference, and I'm quite sure is heavier than yours. So, whatever dyno we each used, they were putting about the same power down. I've driven a CTSV with less power but at 5000lbs I roasted a stronger clutch on launch.

My RXT gave out first pull on a dyno in my C5 at 878rwhp. That was on a mustang dyno, rich, with no timing. Probably would have been ~940rwhp once tuned. Higher on a dynojet most likely.

So I'm in the same boat looking for a clutch in the 1000rwhp range. Yes, clutch dust is common when you slip them. Just watch some of Rangers videos on launching corvettes.
I did put the clutch I using now in the car mid 2011 so it have +- 4000 miles on it mostly street and some strip. I use to have bad issue with hooking the car but I have fixed that now. This is not the same setup I had when I was running 9,75 @ 147 mph with 1,6 60” at +16 psi ( APS PTE 58mm turbo) Now I´m running DKT 6266 turbo. I have had those for +1 year set at 9 psi running 9,9-10,1 on 9 psi trapping 141-144 ( +-800 RWHP I assume ) Car is 3650 lb with driver. I always run it as I drive it pump gas with meth injection. I have great experience with RPS twin which started to slip after I turned up the boost but is still pretty much holding at 9 psi. I only made few test runs on 1/8 mile with 12 psi of the line and 16 psi in 2 gear( boost be speed) Believe me I do not want to spend almost 3k for clutch and I do not have ton of money but it will cost double if I go with the wrong clutch and If it will not work. I see that all the time people are saving money on parts but spending money on labor do to not going with the correct parts for theirs need to start with.

Your video is nice as is your driving.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:05 PM
0ggerko
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mantic Options

Hey Guys,

Just saw this and thought I would chime in. Keep in mind...most of us clutch manufactures must focus on the torque made at the flywheel...that's where our products do the work. Safe to assume that 1000 at the wheel is going to 1150-1200 at the flywheel. Not to mention...the WAY in which the car makes that power affects the clutches capability as well. A turbo car varies from a supercharged car which varies from a nitrous car....combine any of those and it gets even more interesting.

That said, Mantic Clutch is offering a Triple Disc 9000 Series which is good for 1515 ft-lbs at the crank and drives just a nice as the twins. Part number M931202. Feel free to shoot me a message here or via Mantic Clutch's website
Old 07-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Matt @ FSP
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We have some Mantic's in cars that are handling quite well at these levels. Over the 1k whp mark I would recommend the Mantic Triple for the C6 cars.. They do drive just as nice as the twin, which is near stock considering the HP levels.

We have a RPS triple in the half mile C6Z build and that clutch drove great with almost 1500whp. Changing it up to the RPS quad to handle the new power next go around.

The McLeod RXT's are also a great driving clutch, just you are going over the HP rating on them, they do have a steel strap designed clutch which holds more power but I have not driven one of them personally. I have a RXT in my personal car.

Quick Reply: RPS triple or what other option is there for 1000+RWHP ?