C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting Cog Belt Tension on ECS Flip Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:31 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The cog looks like a great system and I guess like everything else it works well when you get it right. That said before ECS came up with it many were getting by very well with the flip drive without issues. Every time something new comes out, it seems what was fine before it is thought of as garbage. Seems silly to me.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:37 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by realcanuk
The cog looks like a great system and I guess like everything else it works well when you get it right. That said before ECS came up with it many were getting by very well with the flip drive without issues. Every time something new comes out, it seems what was fine before it is thought of as garbage. Seems silly to me.
it's all about $$$$
Old 07-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I know what you mean.

Pulley seems to be in line, but it's just 2 pulley's. Crank and accessory pulley. Nothing really to adjust and with the other 3 belts running fine, I'm kinda stumped.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:38 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by neutron82
it's all about $$$$
Every time something comes out, it's said to be "the only fix"...........until something else does. I find it comical watching it happen.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
I know what you mean.

Pulley seems to be in line, but it's just 2 pulley's. Crank and accessory pulley. Nothing really to adjust and with the other 3 belts running fine, I'm kinda stumped.
I don't have the cog, and don't feel I need it, but looking at the pics, and knowing how it works, it would seem almost impossible for it to be out of alignment. I have no clue why you are having that issue.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Every time something comes out, it's said to be "the only fix"...........until something else does. I find it comical watching it happen.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:26 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

The cog belt doesn't have to be tight. Just tighten the eccentric/pulley to put SLIGHT pressure on the belt. Just enough to take the slack out. It needs some room to flex. Too tight and the belt won't last.

Let me see if I have a pic.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:30 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Alignment.

Although after running it some, the belt aligned itself back to the backing plate they put on the modded Jack shaft pulley. It's not touching the balancer now.

Tension.

This is almost as loose as I could get it. It looked plenty tight to me.. Spun it to 7200 and the belt is fine. I have about 140 miles on it now.

Last edited by ajrothm; 07-19-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:27 AM
ironhorse583
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just installed my 3rd belt tonight...1st one i had as tight..2nd was looser..now the 3rd i tightened the alternator belt b4 setting the cog tension.. i adjusted the cog fairly loose again..i dont think the cog is up to the task..a thought was to install an alternator with a clutch pulley or just scrap the cog and go back to the 8rib...im not sure what to do but i know i cant count on the cog to last
Old 07-20-2015, 05:13 AM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Thanks ajrothm. Exactly the info I needed.

I know how you feel ironhorse. I think it will work once we figure it out.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:27 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ironhorse583
just installed my 3rd belt tonight...1st one i had as tight..2nd was looser..now the 3rd i tightened the alternator belt b4 setting the cog tension.. i adjusted the cog fairly loose again..i dont think the cog is up to the task..a thought was to install an alternator with a clutch pulley or just scrap the cog and go back to the 8rib...im not sure what to do but i know i cant count on the cog to last

What was wrong with the 8rib if you don't mind me asking? Why the need to go flip/are you YSI now?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Ran straight 8 rib, ran 8 rib flip drive, 10 rib flip drive, and 10 rib with cog. Almost 8k miles now on my cog setup, zero issues. All the others had issues.

I slipped cog belt on, use my hands to rotate the idler just to put a little tension on the belt, not tight at all.

I also said I loved my flip drive right away, but after 3k miles, started to slip, put a new belt on, lasted ok and didn't slip for another 2-3k miles, then would slip again with a/c or turning sharply. Would be out there tightening the belt. Would get to the point where it would squeal on start ups for 10-15 seconds. My flip worked fine with fresh belts, not so much once the belts wore at all. If you have an A&A drive system that would take care of some of those issues for sure since it would auto adjust, but I still don't see it holding 4 rib+ac on a hot day.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Unreal
Ran straight 8 rib, ran 8 rib flip drive, 10 rib flip drive, and 10 rib with cog. Almost 8k miles now on my cog setup, zero issues. All the others had issues.

I slipped cog belt on, use my hands to rotate the idler just to put a little tension on the belt, not tight at all.

I also said I loved my flip drive right away, but after 3k miles, started to slip, put a new belt on, lasted ok and didn't slip for another 2-3k miles, then would slip again with a/c or turning sharply. Would be out there tightening the belt. Would get to the point where it would squeal on start ups for 10-15 seconds. My flip worked fine with fresh belts, not so much once the belts wore at all. If you have an A&A drive system that would take care of some of those issues for sure since it would auto adjust, but I still don't see it holding 4 rib+ac on a hot day.
Was straight 8 rib ok? Breaking belts there? Why did you go to flip?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:42 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I guess I will find out in time. I have about 1000 miles now with no issues. I put a new, slightly stiffer tensioner on the A/C belt..... maybe that will help some.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unreal

Thanks for the info. That confirms what ajrothm said also. I think too much tension has been my issue. I know it was on the second belt. I thought it was too loose the first go around so I cranked it down the second time. Went back out and found the belt last night and it had holes between every cog almost like there were teeth down the middle of the cog pulley. I'm going to try a very light tension on the 3rd belt. I bet that solves the problem. There just isn't much info out there yet. When I told ECS I didn't have instructions they sent me some for the standard flip drive without the cog so I guess they don't have any yet.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info. That confirms what ajrothm said also. I think too much tension has been my issue. I know it was on the second belt. I thought it was too loose the first go around so I cranked it down the second time. Went back out and found the belt last night and it had holes between every cog almost like there were teeth down the middle of the cog pulley. I'm going to try a very light tension on the 3rd belt. I bet that solves the problem. There just isn't much info out there yet. When I told ECS I didn't have instructions they sent me some for the standard flip drive without the cog so I guess they don't have any yet.
Good luck with that today bud!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arctic Vette
Good luck with that today bud!
Thanks man. Might get to it this evening. On base today.

Get notified of new replies

To Adjusting Cog Belt Tension on ECS Flip Drive?

Old 07-20-2015, 09:45 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I guess I will find out in time. I have about 1000 miles now with no issues. I put a new, slightly stiffer tensioner on the A/C belt..... maybe that will help some.
I haven't had any issues with my a&a secondary drive since I put it on, granted I haven't put a ton of miles on it and I have a c5 so I have an extra idler on the a/c... I had my balancer and jackshaft pulley cut for 6 ribs so if the 4 rib setup doesn't hold up I will get a zr1 a/c compressor and switch over to 6 rib
Old 07-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic Vette
Was straight 8 rib ok? Breaking belts there? Why did you go to flip?
Won't hold and slipped like crazy.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Thanks man. Might get to it this evening. On base today.
Sounds good brother, stay vigilant!

Quick Reply: Adjusting Cog Belt Tension on ECS Flip Drive?