C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting Cog Belt Tension on ECS Flip Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 02:08 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Looks like you are on your way to getting this set up correctly. If you have any questions feel free to call or PM me.

BTW, I laughed at the guys that think we make parts just to make money. Yes this is a business, but we makes parts to make our customers car faster then the others, you get the by products of that. I spend my life data logging cars and the negative or positive effects that come along the way. When I see ten cars with the same problem, we go to work on a fix, if you haven't seen an issue we have, you probably don't push your vehicles like we do.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:08 PM
ironhorse583
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic Vette
What was wrong with the 8rib if you don't mind me asking? Why the need to go flip/are you YSI now?
nothing wrong with the 8rib setup..was prepping to go YSI is all..ended up spending the cash on 6L80 to 4L60 swap..

For every1 not having any issues with the cog - how aggressive do you drive.? I need the system to be reliable on the street as well as at the track (1/4 mile).
Old 07-20-2015, 02:11 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Looks like you are on your way to getting this set up correctly. If you have any questions feel free to call or PM me.

BTW, I laughed at the guys that think we make parts just to make money. Yes this is a business, but we makes parts to make our customers car faster then the others, you get the by products of that. I spend my life data logging cars and the negative or positive effects that come along the way. When I see ten cars with the same problem, we go to work on a fix, if you haven't seen an issue we have, you probably don't push your vehicles like we do.

I didn't mean to say you do it just to make money. I said it is probably the best thing going at the moment.
What amuses me is that once a new thing comes out, what was working for years becomes garbage.

Its like saying that because the C7 came out, a C6 just cant cut it any more.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS

Thanks for the reply Doug. I sent you a pm.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by ironhorse583
nothing wrong with the 8rib setup..was prepping to go YSI is all..ended up spending the cash on 6L80 to 4L60 swap..

For every1 not having any issues with the cog - how aggressive do you drive.? I need the system to be reliable on the street as well as at the track (1/4 mile).
Beat the crap out of it. Tons of miles, and easily 25+ 1/2 mile passes in the last year.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:41 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

When I was running just the DP direct drive with the 4 rib AC belt running everything, I never had a HUGE problem. I would occasionally see voltage drop in logs, nothing major and then it would usually catch up and grab. I had 8k miles on my original 4 rib belt and countless highway hits... And this is spinning a 170 amp alternator loaded down. I never heard it or felt it slip, nor see the voltage drop on the dash.. But the logs showed it, especially on 1.3x 60' launches.

I mainly went to the cogged direct drive mod since I had the engine out anyway, other wise I may not have done it, at least until it acted up more. Mine is a C5 with the dual idler tensioner on the AC belt tho and I'm sure that helps.

I will be driving my car more this weekend and making some test hits and I'll keep an eye on the cog belt and look for anything going wrong on it. So far it's been fine, I just tightened the adjuster/eccentric by hand and just enough to take some slack out of the bottom run of the belt.--as seen in my pic. I had no instruction on adjustment, I just winged it.

Making sure stuff is aligned right will make all the difference with a cog belt.

Last edited by ajrothm; 07-20-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you get the cog straight xtremespeed?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Got another belt on it but no time to test tonight. I tried just barely taking the slack out on the bottom side leaving the top a little loose. Matt at FSP suggested 1/4" slack when warmed up as a general rule for cogs. Hopefully that idea along with the info in this thread will get it. I just can't see anything out of alignment especially with the other 3 belts running perfect. The cog belt looks to be running dead center on the small pulley. I'm sure it was a tension issue. The first one was a little tight and the second was real tight, thinking that the first one was too loose.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:22 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Wish u luck bud..
Old 07-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Did some back road testing today. Still not driving too hard due to the startup tune still being in there, and not having the Alky setup configured, but I believe the problem is solved. Special thanks to Unreal and especially ajrothm for providing the proper tensioning procedure. Tightened the belt just enough to take up the slack at the bottom and left it slightly loose on the top and the belt seems to be running perfect. Will know more once the tune is ironed out, but for now it appears to be working great. Thanks again guys.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Glad to hear that Xtreme! Hope it lasts..
Old 07-21-2015, 11:02 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Mine has plenty of miles and has been the most trouble free belt setup I've had on the car. Glad I could help. Feel free to get ahold of me if you have any other issues.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:01 AM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unreal
Mine has plenty of miles and has been the most trouble free belt setup I've had on the car. Glad I could help. Feel free to get ahold of me if you have any other issues.
Really appreciate that.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Monte4ever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's that cog belt holding up Xtremespeed?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Perfect. Been 14+ hours in the car for the tune and 12+ hours this weekend to Eureka Springs for Corvette Weekend. Lots of full throttle passes also. After I figured out the proper tension, the cog has been flawless. Love it.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:52 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

I've got 2k miles on my cog belt, many hits, did 500 miles in one day, no issues.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Monte4ever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good to here fellas. Ima pull the trigger and get me one in about a month. Ajrothm, looks like you are using a iron block. Are you just using two of the three bolts that hold the cog and cog tensioner bracket? If so, how is it holding up?

Last edited by Monte4ever; 10-05-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Adjusting Cog Belt Tension on ECS Flip Drive?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:17 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
That's good to here fellas. Ima pull the trigger and get me one in about a month. Ajrothm, looks like you are using a iron block. Are you just using two of the three bolts that hold the cog and cog tensioner bracket? If so, how is it holding up?
I have a 6.0 iron block, it is drilled/tapped for the 3rd hole for the direct drive. I don't think I'd try it with 2 bolts.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:13 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I have a 6.0 iron block, it is drilled/tapped for the 3rd hole for the direct drive. I don't think I'd try it with 2 bolts.

Perhaps I am confused, but how did you drill and tap the block for the 3rd hole when the Iron block does not have the boss casted into it?

The photos you posted on page two only show two bolts holding the jackshaft pulley bracket on, like all iron block users do. The iron block does not have the boss next to the timing cover.

Am I missing something? Ive always just used the one exhisting hole and drilled/tapped the upper hole and held them on with two bolts.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

A bolt fell out of mine, no idea when but it worked pretty damn good

Quick Reply: Adjusting Cog Belt Tension on ECS Flip Drive?