C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glowing Red Turbos/Manifolds/downpipes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 03:39 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Awesome! Well awesome for me that my temps aren't that high. I don't have hardly any overlap. Going to chalk this up to a non-issue and start tuning on it.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:38 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Awesome! Well awesome for me that my temps aren't that high. I don't have hardly any overlap. Going to chalk this up to a non-issue and start tuning on it.
I have 15.5* over lap.

Not saying this is the cause of higher exhaust temps but.. In my layman's perspective, it very well could be...

I'll be curious to do a compression test on mine and see how much the cranking psi has dropped. With the small cam I was 180-185 psi cold. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see 165 psi now..

For reference, I used the same temp gun on my 10-1 comp 496 years ago and it was 400-500* but the shiny coating on the headers was screwing with the temp gun.. Not consistent at all. It was very consistent today with the dull coating on these headers.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:02 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Well I still have my double start issue, although I have no cam codes. I have a new sensor and lead that goes along the timing cover. Hopefully that clears up the double start issue (it worked fine using the rear cam sensor in the back of the LQ block).

The reason I bring this up is I've heard that if there are cam sensor issues that the motor fires in batch mode instead of sequentially which could be dumping excess fuel into the exhaust.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:06 PM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

I have installed my fair share of these kits or helped at the shop. Glowing like this is far from normal. We beat the **** out of the cars and Im super aware of the stresses these systems are put thru and I have never not once seen any of our TTIX or modded TTIX systems glow. Yes this is at night rolling hard 20 + psi and checking the engine compartment after the runs. This is not normal in my opinion. Just my .02
Old 08-26-2015, 09:33 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

So tonight I replaced the cam sensor and the jumper harness on the front timing cover. Immediately after starting it I got P0340 and P0341 codes. The double start issue is still there. Not sure why those codes weren't showing up with the old sensor. These DTC's indicate a case learn is needed but I can't get the damn function to work in HPT. Keeps telling me not all requirements met.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

OK so I got the case learn/crank relearn to work by setting all my DTC's to no error reported so the emissions tests would go to complete. Did the process twice. The double start issue is still there as are the P0340 and P0341. I really don't know why these codes weren't showing with the old cam sensor but it still double started. So I'm at a loss now.

Either:

The new cam sensor is borked
The reluctor wheel is on wrong
The cam is ground wrong
Something else I'm overlooking

The double start issue was there on my old LQ block as well, although no cam codes. And I fixed it by using the rear cam sensor. So it seems like something cam sensor or timing gear related. But on the old motor I had a Comp double roller timing set which I blamed for the issue, now I have a stock LS2 cam and crank gear and C7R chain. So the timing cover is stock, the cam gear is stock, the cam sensor is new and the lead that goes up the timing cover is new.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:44 AM
fe9_fe9
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try reversing the wires in the cam sensor connector?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

No but in checking the harness where it plugs into the timing cover it doesn't appear its providing the 5V power. So I need to trace that down.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:03 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Good work, Bill. I think you are getting closer to figuring it out.

Soon you'll be deep in the 9's.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:49 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

DTC P0340

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor works in conjunction with the 1X reluctor trigger wheel on the front of the camshaft gear. The engine control module (ECM) provides a 12-volt reference to the CMP sensor, as well as a low reference and a signal circuit. As the camshaft gear rotates, the reluctor trigger wheel interrupts a magnetic field produced by a magnet within the sensor. The CMP sensor internal circuitry detects this interruption of the magnetic field and produces a signal, which the ECM reads. The 1X signal produced by the CMP sensor is used by the ECM to determine if the cylinder at the top dead center (TDC) is on the firing stroke or the exhaust stroke. The ECM can determine TDC for all cylinders by using the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor 24X signal. If the 1X signal is not received by the ECM, a slightly longer cranking time may be experienced. The ECM will attempt synchronization and looks for an increase in engine speed, indicating that the engine is running. If the ECM does not detect an increase in engine speed, the ECM assumes that it incorrectly synchronized to the exhaust stroke, and then will synchronize to the opposite cam position. If the ECM detects that there is no output signal from the CMP sensor, DTC P0340 will set.

DTC DESCRIPTOR
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
DTC P0340 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

The engine is cranking, or the engine is running.
DTC P0340 runs continuously when the above condition is met.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The ECM detects no CMP sensor output for more than 3 seconds .

DTC P0341

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor works in conjunction with the 1X reluctor trigger wheel on the front of the camshaft gear. The engine control module (ECM) provides a 12-volt reference to the CMP sensor, as well as a low reference and a signal circuit. As the camshaft gear rotates, the reluctor trigger wheel interrupts a magnetic field produced by a magnet within the sensor. The CMP sensor internal circuitry detects this interruption of the magnetic field and produces a signal, which the ECM reads. The 1X signal produced by the CMP sensor is used by the ECM to determine if the cylinder at the top dead center (TDC) is on the firing stroke or the exhaust stroke. The ECM can determine TDC for all cylinders by using the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor 24X signal. The engine will start without a CMP sensor signal as long as the ECM receives the CKP sensor 24X signal. If the 1X signal is not received by the ECM, a slightly longer cranking time may be experienced. The ECM will attempt synchronization and looks for an increase in engine speed, indicating that the engine is running. If the ECM does not detect an increase in engine speed, the ECM assumes that it incorrectly synchronized to the exhaust stroke, and then will synchronize to the opposite cam position. If the ECM detects that the ratio of the CMP sensor to CKP sensor trigger pulses are missing or incorrect, DTC P0341 will set.

DTC DESCRIPTOR
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
DTC P0341 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

The engine is cranking, or the engine is running.
DTCs P0335, P0336, and P0340 are not set.
DTC P0341 runs continuously when the above conditions are met.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The ECM detects a missing or a noisy CMP sensor signal for 100 engine cycles

The conditions for running the DTC's tell me the two codes are being generated at different times.
I'm guessing when you're losing the code you're running in batch fire mode. Maybe that's contributing to your glow.

Let me know if you need help troubleshooting this.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:57 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Well after much troubleshooting the cam sensor issue is fixed. Appears to have been the connection at the PCM. Bad news is it still glows.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:42 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What about the double start issue?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:48 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

That's gone too. Was tied to the cam sensor issue.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:27 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Keep chipping at it Bill, you are chasing the demons out of it, one by one...

BTW, I re-shot my headers with the temp gun after a 20 min idle at 230* water temp, 800-880* across the board... I bet my sh*t would glow too if it was iron.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:37 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

So I did a compression check. All cylinders were ~150# (9.2:1 compression). Did a spot check leak down test on the two lowest cylinders (rockers off) and got 90%. Spot checked rocker adjustment (Jesel J2K's) and they looked good. So exhaust valves aren't leaking, nor are the valves hanging open. Decided to cut the wrap off and remove the turbo blanket from the passenger side and took it for a ride, no boost. Drivers side turbo was bright red, orange really. Passenger side was barely visibly dark red in the dark. I'll take some new temp measurements later but I'm pretty much calling it good.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:13 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Bout damn time!

(good to hear though--guess that insulation is/was doing it's job)

Quick Reply: Glowing Red Turbos/Manifolds/downpipes!