C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Turbo Kit to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

I should be hitting the dyno this weekend. I'll post up the pull, I'm turning it up to around 800 (stock motor). I think you'll be surprised how quick it spools. And I'm not sure about you guys but when I race my car it never sees low rpms. Also, I can build boost on the launch easily with my 2 step.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:21 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS
I'm not at all saying that they don't make power. Just the spool time is lacking, and the overall efficiency of the system is lacking when in comparison to a proper turbo setup. I know many of them have made power, some alot of power due to the available room in the back for giant turbos compared to what you can acceptably fit under a hood up front. But if you don't need that big of a turbo, and there are other options available, I don't see why you would choose a less efficient system...
....it's like still using dialup...

CK
To work aroud the inherent flaws of a rear mounted system you ceramic coat and wrap the hot side to maintain as much heat in the exhaust gas. I may have 2-500 rpm retard in spool time versus a front mount.

All that is made up in tuning as my four foot charge pipes cool the air prior to even seeing an intercooler. The result is 5-10* over ambient AIT at cruise and moderate driving. Im making something silly like 1200rwhp on gate pressure of 11psi

With rolling antilag there is no more waiting to spool, just release the switch and go, quickly

@07:02 I use antilag and run through some gears at 1400rwhp on rear mounted 80mm turbos

Perhaps the notion of lag and inefficiency was true a few years ago but with modern technology its pretty insignificant now

Last edited by SinisterC6; 09-18-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:28 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NYOverlord
What kit are you using? I'm super interested in the STS rear mounted kit. I'll also be going with oil-less turbos. Rick Squires who re-purchased STS recently and is starting to re-start production on the kits said that he deals with Comp Turbos and suggests I upgrade from 1.75 inch diameter turbo piping to 2.0 inches to feed to turbos. He said I can't go bigger than 2.0 due to fitment constraints.

I'm not sure if I should go with his recommended Comp turbos. I feel like spending the extra money to custom fab his pipes to accommodate Garret oil-less turbos would be worth it and allow me to sleep better at night since they are an OEM turbo supplier.

What are your thoughts guys? I'm new to the turbo game.
I'm not using a "kit" as I bought everything separately and built it to my specifications. Just know if you go the custom route, it will cost you quite a bit more than buying something from one of the companies listed.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:23 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Why do you say that?
No broken belts to worry about..
Old 09-19-2015, 12:08 PM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Proper rear mount graph. They work great if you take the time to do it right. On the street spool time is insane. Stock bottom end 5.3/7175 combo i used last year.

Last edited by DANZGLASS; 09-19-2015 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C6 Curtis (09-19-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 02:44 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DANZGLASS

Proper rear mount graph. They work great if you take the time to do it right. On the street spool time is insane. Stock bottom end 5.3/7175 combo i used last year.
Am I reading this correctly; 20psi and 836whp?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:57 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Am I reading this correctly; 20psi and 836whp?
On a stock 5.3....
Old 09-22-2015, 03:03 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dude_man
On a stock 5.3....
Oh I caught that.....but I'm pushing just under 700 on my stock 4.8L with 12psi, and that's through an 4L80E auto....

I'm sure there's more to it, but as you can see efficiency plays a big roll.....

And yes you can ceramic coat, and heat wrap, and anti-lag, but all of those options are still available on a proper turbo setup as well. And when comparing apples to apples, there is a huge difference.

CK
Old 09-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Oh I caught that.....but I'm pushing just under 700 on my stock 4.8L with 12psi, and that's through an 4L80E auto....

I'm sure there's more to it, but as you can see efficiency plays a big roll.....

And yes you can ceramic coat, and heat wrap, and anti-lag, but all of those options are still available on a proper turbo setup as well. And when comparing apples to apples, there is a huge difference.

CK
No one is saying rear mount it better, we're just saying it's not as bad people think. I'm actually going to be racing a c5 with a built motor and your original turbo kit but with pte 6766s in two weeks.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:12 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

I get that, and just like I said before, I'm in no way saying it's junk or doesn't work. I just feel there is a better, more efficient way, so why would you not utilize it? Now if you're trying to squeeze twin 102mm turbos in your options are cut the hood, or place them out back.....obviously at that point there is good reasoning behind the rear mounted setup.

CK
Old 09-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Hanlon's Law
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw a car at some point from one of the big shops that had fuel tanks removed and turbos mounted there. More of a "mid-mount" setup at that point. Ever since I've been wanting to do that also... Not sure what the logistics around switching to a fuel cell will be, though, especially from a standpoint of safety (NHRA/etc).
Old 09-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hanlon's Law
Saw a car at some point from one of the big shops that had fuel tanks removed and turbos mounted there. More of a "mid-mount" setup at that point. Ever since I've been wanting to do that also... Not sure what the logistics around switching to a fuel cell will be, though, especially from a standpoint of safety (NHRA/etc).
That would be sinister who commented on the thread.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:59 PM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

That combo took down a 875whp c6z with a built motor/ttx kit on it. It works very well.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:22 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanlon's Law
Many cars with fuel cells place them in the trunk also. Foxbodys and such. I also went to a fuel cell and love it. It's much cheaper to maintain and any changes can be done easily with a lot less time on my back with jackstands.

I get that, and just like I said before, I'm in no way saying it's junk or doesn't work. I just feel there is a better, more efficient way, so why would you not utilize it? Now if you're trying to squeeze twin 102mm turbos in your options are cut the hood, or place them out back.....obviously at that point there is good reasoning behind the rear mounted setup.

CK
I would still squeeze a large T6 in the fenders
Old 09-23-2015, 06:41 PM
NYOverlord
Pro

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I've had a TTiX kit with a built LS6 running for about 5 years. Only issue I had is after 3 years I had to replace a turbo manifold (which was pretty hard to do).

turbos get a bad rap, but consider this, truckers put many hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

put it together well, tune it right, and just like nitrous, don't get greedy and push it too much and they are very reliable.

maintenance is a bear though, blowers are MUCH easier to install and maintain.

but with the advanced boost controllers and traction control, it's a bit easier to ramp the boost up accordingly to available traction.

blowers are more "forgiving" in this respect as the power increases a bit more linear according to RPM. turbos tend to provide improved mid range torq and go full boost earlier in the RPM range, but that can also prove difficult to control.

I think the turbos are a bit easier on the crank too as the blower takes quite a bit of power to spin, so turbos are slightly easier on the snout and don't flex the crank as bad.

that being said, turbos are not for the faint of heart or light of wallet.

the secret to making a small fortune, start with a large fortune and go with turbos! you'll see it get smaller quick.

the ttix kit is 12k but features some nice cast iron manifolds but that also limits the turbo size due to placement

my personal belief is anything over 1k hp should have a full cage and safety equipment but that's because I've needed it before!!

the vette isn't really the best platform for hp above 1k. it's expensive to beef up the drive train enough to reliably hold and plant that kind of power. (ask me how I know)

that being said, UPP and others have stepped up to fill the void left by APS and some of the other high hp kits that have dried up.

the TTix is good up to 1k at the wheels and a bit beyond.

my advice, set you goals carefully and make sure you budget enough for all the upgrades at once. it's best to drop the engine and cradles to install the ttix (again, ask me how I know) clearance is really tight and while you CAN install it without doing all that, you need a better clutch, tranny beefed, fuel system, ect.....

do it all at once and be done. good luck, boostamuv!

Rkreigh,

What caused the manifold to need to be replaced after only 3 years? I know they are cast instead of welded, so I expected them to last a whole lot longer than 3 years.
Also, how much did it cost to buy the new manifold and the labor to replace it?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:40 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Rkreigh,

What caused the manifold to need to be replaced after only 3 years? I know they are cast instead of welded, so I expected them to last a whole lot longer than 3 years.
If I'm right they charge something like 850 per cast manifold which I think is insane that makes it 1700 for 2 crazy... It costed me less to have a complete hot side made. A cast manifold shouldn't cost anywhere near that.

-Curtis
Old 09-23-2015, 09:52 PM
NYOverlord
Pro

Originally Posted by C6 Curtis
If I'm right they charge something like 850 per cast manifold which I think is insane that makes it 1700 for 2 crazy... It costed me less to have a complete hot side made. A cast manifold shouldn't cost anywhere near that.

-Curtis
Damn! That turns me off from front mounted kits. Might as well go with a rear mount, keep my long tube headers, use oil less turbos that spool up faster and are less maintenance, and not have manifolds to worry about. What could go wrong with that type of set up? I'm thinking pipe leaks. Anyone want to jump in here??

Get notified of new replies

To Which Turbo Kit to Buy

Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Rkreigh,

I think it might have been over torqued when installed the rear most mounting flange on the turbo manifold cracked and I started getting and exhaust leak on boost

labor cost was 1400 cuss words and many CASES of beer it wasn't trivial

getting to the rear 5 bolt downpipe bolts is tough

trust me when I say drop the cradle down about 4-5 inches

you'll have a much easier time replacing the inlet pipe to the turbo which is very tight

the manifolds usually hold up great as they are cast iron the turbo positioning is very tight against the frame so not too much to go bigger but trust me if you are actually making 1k at the tire which the system is capable of you will seeing the world through a screaming face and it's the most fun you can have with your pants on

if you want an all out race car (which IMHO, a 1k plus vette IS) you'll need some pretty extensive drive train mods

I would go glide with a strong rear and again, it's expensive
Old 09-24-2015, 09:36 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Damn! That turns me off from front mounted kits. Might as well go with a rear mount, keep my long tube headers, use oil less turbos that spool up faster and are less maintenance, and not have manifolds to worry about. What could go wrong with that type of set up? I'm thinking pipe leaks. Anyone want to jump in here??

Youll lose spool time and power by running long tubes. Use the stock C6Z manifolds.

Last edited by Dude_man; 09-24-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:33 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Or just look for a front mounted kit with a lifetime warranty on all the manifolds/piping......(hint....UPP)

Quick Reply: Which Turbo Kit to Buy