C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Turbo Kit to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:40 AM
NYOverlord
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Which Turbo Kit to Buy

Well, I've got a fully forged 7.1 liter good for at least 20 PSI and 1,450 hp to the CRANK. I'm set on a twin turbo using ball bearing style turbos. I'm looking at doing a custom set up as well as a few others like UPP's larger turbo set up utilizing the larger Precision 6182R option and and DPE's option using Turbonetics, but would like to know about other options (both front and rear mounted). Does anyone have any experience or opinions? Mostly looking for advice. I know there are a lot of well-thought out and executed kits out there, but I'd appreciate a little help out there as I'm a total newbie to turbos.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Full out race car? Ship to vengance with a check for $30-50k, and enjoy.

Otherwise maybe IPS kit, but I would take an ECS or A&A kit over a TT setup on a vette any day of the week for a street car.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:33 AM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Which Turbo Kit to Buy

Goals?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Swap your 1500 for a 2200R, be happy.

Difference between a 850rwhp car and a 1200rwhp is probably $30k, so do you have 1400hp worth of fuel system? Built drive train? Wheels/tires/spindles?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:40 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
I would take an ECS or A&A kit over a TT setup on a vette any day of the week for a street car...
Difference between a 850rwhp car and a 1200rwhp is probably $30k, so do you have
Swap your 1500 for a 2200R, be happy.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:53 AM
LethalTT
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Full out race car? Ship to vengance with a check for $30-50k, and enjoy.

Otherwise maybe IPS kit, but I would take an ECS or A&A kit over a TT setup on a vette any day of the week for a street car.
I completely disagree with this. Have you had a TT kit on your Vette? I've had NA setup, T trim, F1 procharger, and now UPP 6182R kit on this car and the TT is head and shoulders above them all. The F1 maxed out at 859/825 at 20lbs and had slipping issues. 763/797@8 896/840@12 978/885@14 1020/907@16 everything above that is need to know. 26 is Overboost. Press of a button and no need to change pullies. on this new setup only thing changed was TT kit. Oh and the car is amazing on street.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Not on a vette, but seen 3 local guys with them, have them for 6 months then sell the cars because they had nothing but issues and couldn't daily drive them.

My car makes too much power as is, no belt issues, and runs great. If I went full out race car I would add turbos, but for a street car, blower works just fine.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:59 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LethalTT
I completely disagree with this. Have you had a TT kit on your Vette? I've had NA setup, T trim, F1 procharger, and now UPP 6182R kit on this car and the TT is head and shoulders above them all. The F1 maxed out at 859/825 at 20lbs and had slipping issues. 763/797@8 896/840@12 978/885@14 1020/907@16 everything above that is need to know. 26 is Overboost. Press of a button and no need to change pullies. on this new setup only thing changed was TT kit. Oh and the car is amazing on street.
Any pics or more details? Maybe a build thread? Not many people on here with the UPP top kit. Looks like a good kit though.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:19 AM
NYOverlord
Pro

We all would love to hear more about your amazing twin turbo kit. Certainly I would, since I'm in the market for one. Most important is being a daily driver and reliability.

What Unreal said about knowing 3 people that went turbo and ended up selling their cars cuz they were nonstop problems and no longer daily drivers scares the living sh*t out of me!!!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:20 AM
NYOverlord
Pro

How long have you had the turbo set up on your vette?

Which kit is it?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I've had a TTiX kit with a built LS6 running for about 5 years. Only issue I had is after 3 years I had to replace a turbo manifold (which was pretty hard to do).

turbos get a bad rap, but consider this, truckers put many hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

put it together well, tune it right, and just like nitrous, don't get greedy and push it too much and they are very reliable.

maintenance is a bear though, blowers are MUCH easier to install and maintain.

but with the advanced boost controllers and traction control, it's a bit easier to ramp the boost up accordingly to available traction.

blowers are more "forgiving" in this respect as the power increases a bit more linear according to RPM. turbos tend to provide improved mid range torq and go full boost earlier in the RPM range, but that can also prove difficult to control.

I think the turbos are a bit easier on the crank too as the blower takes quite a bit of power to spin, so turbos are slightly easier on the snout and don't flex the crank as bad.

that being said, turbos are not for the faint of heart or light of wallet.

the secret to making a small fortune, start with a large fortune and go with turbos! you'll see it get smaller quick.

the ttix kit is 12k but features some nice cast iron manifolds but that also limits the turbo size due to placement

my personal belief is anything over 1k hp should have a full cage and safety equipment but that's because I've needed it before!!

the vette isn't really the best platform for hp above 1k. it's expensive to beef up the drive train enough to reliably hold and plant that kind of power. (ask me how I know)

that being said, UPP and others have stepped up to fill the void left by APS and some of the other high hp kits that have dried up.

the TTix is good up to 1k at the wheels and a bit beyond.

my advice, set you goals carefully and make sure you budget enough for all the upgrades at once. it's best to drop the engine and cradles to install the ttix (again, ask me how I know) clearance is really tight and while you CAN install it without doing all that, you need a better clutch, tranny beefed, fuel system, ect.....

do it all at once and be done. good luck, boostamuv!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:52 PM
NYOverlord
Pro

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I've had a TTiX kit with a built LS6 running for about 5 years. Only issue I had is after 3 years I had to replace a turbo manifold (which was pretty hard to do).

turbos get a bad rap, but consider this, truckers put many hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

put it together well, tune it right, and just like nitrous, don't get greedy and push it too much and they are very reliable.

maintenance is a bear though, blowers are MUCH easier to install and maintain.

but with the advanced boost controllers and traction control, it's a bit easier to ramp the boost up accordingly to available traction.

blowers are more "forgiving" in this respect as the power increases a bit more linear according to RPM. turbos tend to provide improved mid range torq and go full boost earlier in the RPM range, but that can also prove difficult to control.

I think the turbos are a bit easier on the crank too as the blower takes quite a bit of power to spin, so turbos are slightly easier on the snout and don't flex the crank as bad.

that being said, turbos are not for the faint of heart or light of wallet.

the secret to making a small fortune, start with a large fortune and go with turbos! you'll see it get smaller quick.

the ttix kit is 12k but features some nice cast iron manifolds but that also limits the turbo size due to placement

my personal belief is anything over 1k hp should have a full cage and safety equipment but that's because I've needed it before!!

the vette isn't really the best platform for hp above 1k. it's expensive to beef up the drive train enough to reliably hold and plant that kind of power. (ask me how I know)

that being said, UPP and others have stepped up to fill the void left by APS and some of the other high hp kits that have dried up.

the TTix is good up to 1k at the wheels and a bit beyond.

my advice, set you goals carefully and make sure you budget enough for all the upgrades at once. it's best to drop the engine and cradles to install the ttix (again, ask me how I know) clearance is really tight and while you CAN install it without doing all that, you need a better clutch, tranny beefed, fuel system, ect.....

do it all at once and be done. good luck, boostamuv!
This is absolutely fantastic info and advice! Thank you so much.
If I do go turbo and spare no expense right from the start, will I likely still have major maintenance issues or problems?
I'm planning to run Garret turbos for reliability reasons and because I hear they are better about warranty-ing their product than Precision.
Seriously considering the rear mount set up to avoid heat issues and easier to install for my tuner. Also wondering what size turbos to go with considering I want to make about 900rwhp, but want to minimize the time required to spoil up rear mounted turbos....
Old 09-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

TTiX is a decent kit, but from what I've seen, a Ysi/2200R will make more power without modding the kit. In his case, he can just swap head units for $1500 or so, and make 1000-1100rwhp all day, compared to all the expense of going to a TT kit.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

TTiX is a decent kit, but from what I've seen, a Ysi/2200R will make more power without modding the kit. In his case, he can just swap head units for $1500 or so, and make 1000-1100rwhp all day, compared to all the expense of going to a TT kit.
I agree. if you are looking for much more than 1k at the tire it's pushing those little turbos.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you can look at UPP, Fabberge, TTiX or APS for front mounts or even ****** up a STS kit for a rear mount if you can find one.

Looking at those power levels, you'll be limited on the kit you can purchase by the size of the turbo you need to run. I, for instance, went with rear mounted 62mm twins. You dont really have to fight for room in the rear like up front, get better cooling and it sounds a hell of a lot meaner with those snails spooling up at the end of the exhaust. The twin 62's that i got are good for right about 1400hp. With this you'll be more limited by the size of charge pipe you can run, but the room is there to do it. You'll also be adding a fair bit of piping on a rear mount, but it really makes for a simple setup once its done. You can simplify it even more so, and do oil-less turbos like myself.

1400hp is an insane amount of power in a light-weight C6
Old 09-10-2015, 09:22 AM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

under 1k go ysi, over 1k look at twins or a top end procharger. id go custom on the twin kit but they are about the 16k + mark
Old 09-14-2015, 12:09 PM
NYOverlord
Pro

Unfortunately, it's going to cost about $5,000 for the parts alone to upgrade to a larger blower. The whole system must be changed according to Chris at ECS and my tuner. Chris said my basic 6 rib unit needs to be swapped out for a 10 rib if I want to make over 900 Rwhp reliably.

At that point, I got so turned off that I started looking at twin turbo kits. I think I'm going with an STS kit. Using 2 inch diameter pipes for the turbo cuz larger than that will bring fitment issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Turbo Kit to Buy

Old 09-14-2015, 12:17 PM
NYOverlord
Pro

What kit are you using? I'm super interested in the STS rear mounted kit. I'll also be going with oil-less turbos. Rick Squires who re-purchased STS recently and is starting to re-start production on the kits said that he deals with Comp Turbos and suggests I upgrade from 1.75 inch diameter turbo piping to 2.0 inches to feed to turbos. He said I can't go bigger than 2.0 due to fitment constraints.

I'm not sure if I should go with his recommended Comp turbos. I feel like spending the extra money to custom fab his pipes to accommodate Garret oil-less turbos would be worth it and allow me to sleep better at night since they are an OEM turbo supplier.

What are your thoughts guys? I'm new to the turbo game.

Originally Posted by GaragedLS2
you can look at UPP, Fabberge, TTiX or APS for front mounts or even ****** up a STS kit for a rear mount if you can find one.

Looking at those power levels, you'll be limited on the kit you can purchase by the size of the turbo you need to run. I, for instance, went with rear mounted 62mm twins. You dont really have to fight for room in the rear like up front, get better cooling and it sounds a hell of a lot meaner with those snails spooling up at the end of the exhaust. The twin 62's that i got are good for right about 1400hp. With this you'll be more limited by the size of charge pipe you can run, but the room is there to do it. You'll also be adding a fair bit of piping on a rear mount, but it really makes for a simple setup once its done. You can simplify it even more so, and do oil-less turbos like myself.

1400hp is an insane amount of power in a light-weight C6
Old 09-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

You couldn't pay me to put STS junk on my car.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:06 PM
NYOverlord
Pro

You couldn't pay me to put STS junk on my car.
Why not? Are there any specific reasons you think STS kits are junk? I'm just trying to figure out what's the drawbacks of this kit compared to a custom rear mount turbo kit. I really want to do a rear mounted turbo.

Quick Reply: Which Turbo Kit to Buy