C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of supercharger or turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
I usually does all my mechanics, ill built my ZR1 and it was running flawlessly. Now im looking for something fun reliable and not too crazy regarding power level. Quick response on the streets is my main goal. UPP kit seems to sacrifice way too much stuff, the more i look at it.
Don't take this the wrong way by any means, but some people think building a car is bolting on a few parts. If that's the case then I would go ecs.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:46 AM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 09-01-2015, 11:47 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Thinking of supercharger or turbo

Well im doing that on jack stand and nothing crazy when it comes to tools. So yeah bolts on might be a better term.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Well im doing that on jack stand and nothing crazy when it comes to tools. So yeah bolts on might be a better term.
Turbos just end up being more of a pain in the ***, that's why I recommend going with an ecs kit. They also have great customer service, I've talked to those guys a few times on the phone about trannies and fuel systems.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:17 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

UPP kit seems to sacrifice way too much stuff, the more i look at it.

Like what? AC, PS, all the amenities are kept. Some things are relocated, but that's because Chevy didn't leave us enough room! lol
Old 09-01-2015, 03:23 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

i don't know about ECS and "trannie" talk.....lol

but ECS or A&A kit is super easy, very reliable, cheaper and will make more than enough whp on a street car to roast your drag radials at over 100mph and go 9s. Turbos have a lot of advantages and honestly I like turbo cars more but if you're just looking for something fun, reliable and relatively simple you can do at home i don't see how you could beat an ECS kit for $5k with potential to make 750whp+
Old 09-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by neverstop
i don't know about ECS and "trannie" talk.....lol

but ECS or A&A kit is super easy, very reliable, cheaper and will make more than enough whp on a street car to roast your drag radials at over 100mph and go 9s. Turbos have a lot of advantages and honestly I like turbo cars more but if you're just looking for something fun, reliable and relatively simple you can do at home i don't see how you could beat an ECS kit for $5k with potential to make 750whp+
What can I say, they are very knowledgeable guys in ALL aspects.

#caitlynjenner
Old 09-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Lol
Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 PM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Give a call to A&A or ECS guys, they will put you on right track, I highly recommend to do upgrades to cooling system (in my opinion it is a must with FI setup on any vette living in medium/hot areas). Needs of camshaft/ heads/built internals/etc depending on your goal and desired HP level.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 AM
NYOverlord
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car will remain a DAILY DRIVER. I'm actually in the midst of choosing between upgrading to a bigger ECS kit (2200R) or a turbo set up (UPP, APS, STS or custom). I like that turbos allow the car to behave N/A under 3,000 RPM and the revs are freer and climb easier and it's much easier to blip the throttle and catch the revs on their way down when driving a turbocharged car. I also like that turbos are more linear in power generation and are more efficient.
However, my tuner told me that the car won't be as streetable as a supercharged car cuz the kits never really fit well. Every kit is slightly different each time it's made in the machine and things just don't fit as the kit manufacturer says it will. Things rub and the turbos vibrate and you feel it vibrating when driving and it's annoying, if the car isn't strictly a race car.

Now obviously car manufactured with turbos (Like a Porsche 911 Turbo) have turbos in mind when being designed, so no moving things around and compromising. The design allows for plumbing without having to deal with a hot cabin for top mounted turbos (or so I've been told by my tuner), or have problems with ground clearance for rear mounted turbos like the STS kit, or issues with bottom front mounted kits with the turbos vibrating cuz they're hanging from the manifolds and the manifolds eventually cracking due to it being made of brittle stainless steel instead of mild steel which flexes.

I hope to hear that there is someone out there with ANY turbo kit that doesn't have these issues and can be used as a daily driver that my wife can ride in with me. But the truth is always better than what I WANT to hear. Please speak up if anyone can help me out here...
Old 09-02-2015, 11:39 AM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NYOverlord
My car will remain a DAILY DRIVER. I'm actually in the midst of choosing between upgrading to a bigger ECS kit (2200R) or a turbo set up (UPP, APS, STS or custom). I like that turbos allow the car to behave N/A under 3,000 RPM and the revs are freer and climb easier and it's much easier to blip the throttle and catch the revs on their way down when driving a turbocharged car. I also like that turbos are more linear in power generation and are more efficient.
However, my tuner told me that the car won't be as streetable as a supercharged car cuz the kits never really fit well. Every kit is slightly different each time it's made in the machine and things just don't fit as the kit manufacturer says it will. Things rub and the turbos vibrate and you feel it vibrating when driving and it's annoying, if the car isn't strictly a race car.

Now obviously car manufactured with turbos (Like a Porsche 911 Turbo) have turbos in mind when being designed, so no moving things around and compromising. The design allows for plumbing without having to deal with a hot cabin for top mounted turbos (or so I've been told by my tuner), or have problems with ground clearance for rear mounted turbos like the STS kit, or issues with bottom front mounted kits with the turbos vibrating cuz they're hanging from the manifolds and the manifolds eventually cracking due to it being made of brittle stainless steel instead of mild steel which flexes.

I hope to hear that there is someone out there with ANY turbo kit that doesn't have these issues and can be used as a daily driver that my wife can ride in with me. But the truth is always better than what I WANT to hear. Please speak up if anyone can help me out here...
Every vehicle that my wife and I own is turbocharged....even the DD's.

With a proper design and proper installation, you should really have no issues. Even the very first original UPP-C5 is still on the road w/o issues, and that has now become a DD for a military gentleman down in GA (unless it's nice and he drives his turbo Hyabusa).

Yes, installation is generally more difficult than a centrifugal SC setup. But let's be honest, it if was easier, cheaper, and made more power, there would be zero market for the SC guys. There are trade-offs. But once it's installed there should be no more maintenance than there was before. And if it's built and installed properly, you shouldn't have rattles, or vibrations, etc.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:40 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I saw this thread and thought you might want to take a look. May not be what you're looking for, just a heads up.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...turbo-kit.html
Old 09-02-2015, 11:47 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

my blow off valve vents all the boost when not at full throttle so the motor and entire setup doesn't see boost under 99% of my driving. I think there is nothing more linear in power curve than a centri supercharger? boost is always in perfect relation to rpm so that's as linear as it gets.

i think your tuner has no idea what he's talking about with turbos though and vibration. i would not work with that guy. just go find a local shop that specializes in corvettes and LS motor cars and go with what they say.

my buddy has a stock ls3 though with nothing more than A&A kit and methanol and that car literally feels, drives and sounds 100% at all times until you put your fut down and then it makes >600whp on pump gas and could easily run a 10 second quarter mile.

turbos make more power and torque and have their advantages but I'd guess there are at least 10x more vettes out there with centri supercharger kits like ECS or A&A so they are just very refined, everyone knows how to work on them, all the problems and fitment are pretty worked out and they just work. If you're just looking for something simple to get you to 600whp i can't think of an easier way to do it than with an ECS or A&A kit

Last edited by neverstop; 09-02-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of supercharger or turbo