C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with pistons breaking help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by s1k0
Well I was told that the everything is alligned properly and all I need to do is get the A&A pulley so I have no idea on that part.
I just dont want to break more pistons. Im not prepared to keep on paying $1xxx every couple of weeks.
Your shop told u that? Go to www.aacorvette.com they are awesome people purely fun to deal with
Old 09-17-2015, 03:49 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,082 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Cog belt isn't discontinued. Ugh

And a cog on the blower pulley is totally different from a cogged direct drive that people are talking about.

It's actually a timing belt to be exact, or at least that's how it's listed. Just like a timing belt, when set up correctly they last a long time.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:53 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,082 Likes on 655 Posts

Well I was told that the everything is alligned properly and all I need to do is get the A&A pulley so I have no idea on that part.
I just dont want to break more pistons. Im not prepared to keep on paying $1xxx every couple of weeks.

Please read my post above yours, you do not need to purchase a pulley!!! Especially a grooved pulley with holes in it like posted before. They wear out belts much faster and you will have zero problems with belt slip with out once we get you all fixed up.
You have an alignment issue that I will be glad to assist you with. Please PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call to discuss in length.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea we know its a cogged flip.. Not blower like this..

They even stated at the show "who the fk cogs anymore!?"

Last edited by Arctic Vette; 09-27-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:23 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, the belt thing doesn't have anything to do with the engine damage issue. That's what I'd be most concerned with, and I feel like maybe some facts are being left out or there is more than meets the eye here.

I'm pretty sure your shop knows what kind of timing and AFR are appropriate for our 91 octane --but if they installed and tuned the thing, I'd expect some thorough testing to make sure everything is working as it should.

What do you have for a fuel system? ECS BAP? Has it been verified that's it's working right?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

either there is something else to the story here I am missing or could be bad injector possibly or maybe, and long shot but only other thing I can think of, is I've heard of people having coolant leaks causing air bubbles causing hot spots in the cylinder and blowing stuff up, but I'm really really reaching here. also could be fuel pump on its way out not showing it on the short dyno pull but on the street on a long 4th gear pull the pump can't keep up.

you really need to get a wideband though, those thing should be required with FI vette kits imo

op, i'm sure the shop you're working with can diagnose this for you and get it right, they know way more about LS cars than just about any normal person you'll come across.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neverstop
either there is something else to the story here I am missing or could be bad injector possibly or maybe, and long shot but only other thing I can think of, is I've heard of people having coolant leaks causing air bubbles causing hot spots in the cylinder and blowing stuff up, but I'm really really reaching here. also could be fuel pump on its way out not showing it on the short dyno pull but on the street on a long 4th gear pull the pump can't keep up.

you really need to get a wideband though, those thing should be required with FI vette kits imo
Being that he's has pistons on 3 different cylinders get damaged, I'm thinking the injector thing is unlikely. Your idea about the fuel pressure not keeping up on a long pull (or maybe when it gets hot) is more likely in my opinion.

And I couldn't agree more on the wideband. Should be a requirement.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:59 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

I think it's crazy so many tuners "tune" cars without doing any street tuning too, not sure what this shop did but street tuning on these FI vettes should be required, cars perform SO much differently on the street vs. dyno.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:14 AM
s1k0
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Streek and neverstop'
The did mention something about the 4th gear long pulls and the last time i drove the car I did 2 up to 5th gear pulls...
Injectors seem fine and the afr is reading 11.2.
Ecs BAP system.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:14 AM
s1k0
Racer

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Please read my post above yours, you do not need to purchase a pulley!!! Especially a grooved pulley with holes in it like posted before. They wear out belts much faster and you will have zero problems with belt slip with out once we get you all fixed up.
You have an alignment issue that I will be glad to assist you with. Please PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call to discuss in length.
Pm'ed
Old 09-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop
I think it's crazy so many tuners "tune" cars without doing any street tuning too, not sure what this shop did but street tuning on these FI vettes should be required, cars perform SO much differently on the street vs. dyno.
Depends on dyno. If a tuner is using a loaded dyno setup properly, then the difference is very small. If they are using an unloaded dyno, then yes.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:26 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

I see what you mean but for street cars I think there are a lot of variables for the tuner aside from just WOT where it takes some street time to get just right like all the driveability stuff. I'm sure most good tuners can get 90%+ of the way there on a loaded dyno but I really prefer to have my tuner spend some time on the street for all the random other driveability stuff.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Streek and neverstop'
The did mention something about the 4th gear long pulls and the last time i drove the car I did 2 up to 5th gear pulls...
Injectors seem fine and the afr is reading 11.2.
Ecs BAP system.
The problem is that you don't really know whether the AFR is 11.2:1 on something like a 5th gear pull. It might have been showing that on the dyno when it was getting tuned, but that doesn't mean that's what it'll be when making a long, hard pull with a hot fuel pump. Without a wideband on board, you really have no idea. Commanded AFR does not always equal actual AFR on these engines. That's open-loop fueling for you.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:42 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Indeed. Add a wideband at the absolute least
Old 09-27-2015, 07:37 PM
s1k0
Racer

I got my car back and had the power reduced alot.
But I've noticed that the tranny and coolant and oil temps all shoot up to 230 F on a hot day...
Pretty scary why is that.. Thats a firsty
Old 09-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

I got my car back and had the power reduced alot.
But I've noticed that the tranny and coolant and oil temps all shoot up to 230 F on a hot day...
Pretty scary why is that.. Thats a firsty
I'm not sure how hot you mean when you say "hot day", but if you take a look at this section of the forum you'll see a bunch of threads related to cooling on these builds. It was about 90 here today in SB, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was even warmer down where you are. Have you driven the car in similar weather and traffic conditions, or is this the first time in this heat with the blower?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:35 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

He's only driven the car like twice since getting the blower

Just kidding man!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by schpenxel
He's only driven the car like twice since getting the blower

Just kidding man!
Probably not too far from the truth. That's why I asked.....
Old 10-12-2015, 12:49 AM
s1k0
Racer

Originally Posted by Streetk14
Probably not too far from the truth. That's why I asked.....
LOL so true...
100 F approximately. Can't even turn the AC on without having it shoot up lmao.

Quick Reply: Problems with pistons breaking help!