C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with pistons breaking help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 PM
s1k0
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with pistons breaking help!

Hi everyone,
Back in june i had my ECS novi1500 unit installed making 570 rwhp on a mustang dyno, and a week later I started hearing the lifter ticking and took it to the garage. While checking the oil there were tiny bits of metal so we decieded to replace everything along with my cam which I had another shop install.

Last edited by s1k0; 03-29-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:50 PM
s1k0
Racer

zzzz

Last edited by s1k0; 03-29-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:06 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Damn sorry to hear bro..
Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 PM
FormulaLS1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a new tuner?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Alignment is off.

And post a copy of the tune and/or a log if you want real help on why you're popping pistons. I'd bet large piles of cash it's knock related.

(and find a new tuner, they should be able to answer these questions in their sleep)

Ask them how much timing they're running @ WOT

Last edited by schpenxel; 09-15-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Last pic same happened to me, ur alignment is off..
Old 09-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Lol posted same time..
Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by s1k0
Hi everyone,
Back in june i had my ECS novi1500 unit installed making 570 rwhp on a mustang dyno, and a week later I started hearing the lifter ticking and took it to the garage. While checking the oil there were tiny bits of metal so we decieded to replace everything along with my cam which I had another shop install. While, having everything installed it turns out that a piston #7 was cracked on the one of the top corners (pics will be included) and the head was damaged. I had everything replaced new with stock and picked up the car a couple of weeks later.
A day later after picking up the car and driving it on WoT several times it started acting funny. The car was back firing, hesistating and sounded different and there was the exact sound of the lifter ticking from the same side drivers side. so when I took it back to the shop it turns out one of the spark plugs was bad and later on turned out that I cracked 2 pistons #3,5. Keep in mind i am running 10 psi and and made 610 with my new cam same dyno. My car has a blower cam ,headers, ecs novi1500 unit, ati balancer stock size, corsa catback, a6 stock tranny and its an 06 LS2.
I can't afford to get aftermarket pistons and rods at this moment and cant afford having this problem each time.

What shop was this thing tuned by if you don't mind telling?

Sure looks like detonation related ringland failure. I'd be curious as to what kind of timing and AFR are being commanded. Can't get away with all that much on 10 psi and our crap 91 octane.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:55 PM
s1k0
Racer

Originally Posted by Streetk14
What shop was this thing tuned by if you don't mind telling?

Sure looks like detonation related ringland failure. I'd be curious as to what kind of timing and AFR are being commanded. Can't get away with all that much on 10 psi and our crap 91 octane.
I'd rather not disclose the shops name in public are you in the san diego area?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:56 PM
s1k0
Racer

Originally Posted by Arctic Vette
Last pic same happened to me, ur alignment is off..
Hey thanks it's all good what do you mean my alignment is off?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:59 PM
s1k0
Racer

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Alignment is off.

And post a copy of the tune and/or a log if you want real help on why you're popping pistons. I'd bet large piles of cash it's knock related.

(and find a new tuner, they should be able to answer these questions in their sleep)

Ask them how much timing they're running @ WOT
The problem is with what options do I have in san diego I tried a few but none of them worked well for me. This shop is reputable and is good my friends work with them and i'm not really sure why this is happening...
A friend of mine from back home said that the car seems very lean.
The garage here is saying that the piston has to much heat or that the piston ring is expanding and cracking the piston.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:02 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

sorry to hear that, looks just like my #7 piston that blew up from a bad tune with wayyyyyy too much timing, and I didnt' hear the detonation with my cutouts open so that was the end of my piston.

I'd say take the car to a real tuner because i have no idea who you are working with now and only part of the story but based on what I see they probably have no idea what they are doing. they should have figured out why the previous piston cracked before putting a new motor back in there.

take it to Cunningham motorsports, they are not far from you, they are the best LS shop in socal imo and they have a great reputation for doing good tunes. have them tune your car and search on here about how to laser align your pulleys because something is way off on that belt also in addition to whatever bad tune you have.

do you have an AFR/wideband guage? if the AFR looks good and your timing is not too high then only other thing I could think of is maybe a failing injector but that is not likely. my $5 says got a bad tune on it.

either way a wideband is required for these cars so you'll need to get that either way if you plan to stick with supercharged ls cars. it may be cheaper to put in a low mileage ls3/2 bottom end too than rebuild that one.

Last edited by neverstop; 09-15-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:06 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The problem is with what options do I have in san diego I tried a few but none of them worked well for me. This shop is reputable and is good my friends work with them and i'm not really sure why this is happening...
A friend of mine from back home said that the car seems very lean.
The garage here is saying that the piston has to much heat or that the piston ring is expanding and cracking the piston.
Is the shop very familiar with newer GM engines? The reason I ask is shops used to LT1 (the original one..) and older engines tend to want to run wayyyy too much timing if they aren't used to newer engines. The heads on LS1 and newer GM engines are way more efficient, meaning you run a lot less timing. On the older generation stuff 20* wasn't unusual. Now.. 12* isn't out of the ordinary for a stock piston setup

It sounds like it's too much timing, too lean and/or not enough octane.

Regardless.. we're all just guessing. Install a wideband so you can see actual AFR. Also ask them for a copy of the tune and a log. You can download HP Tuners for free to at least look at them.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:51 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd rather not disclose the shops name in public are you in the san diego area?
I'm up in Santa Barbara, but back before I started doing my own tuning I used a shop that wasn't far from you. Just wondering who it was so I can gauge their experience with boosted LS engines. You can PM me if you'd like.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:14 AM
s1k0
Racer

Originally Posted by Streetk14
I'm up in Santa Barbara, but back before I started doing my own tuning I used a shop that wasn't far from you. Just wondering who it was so I can gauge their experience with boosted LS engines. You can PM me if you'd like.
Pm'ed
Old 09-16-2015, 02:54 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

these guys are leading you in the right direction but a question I have that I haven't seen anyone ask yet, if you blew the motor once why did you replace it with stock stuff the second time around?... I totally understand starting off with a stock motor and walking that line but once something breaks and you have to go in and do a rebuild why not use something stronger?... seems like a perfect opportunity to upgrade in my opinion... and after the rebuild you said you popped 2 pistons just a day after picking it up... aside from their "tune" job did the shop properly break the motor in before you went out beating on it?... I would hope they would go through this before giving the car back but with the way some places operate these days it wouldn't surprise me if they just let it go and not even say anything about it
Old 09-16-2015, 03:01 AM
s1k0
Racer

Originally Posted by neutron82
these guys are leading you in the right direction but a question I have that I haven't seen anyone ask yet, if you blew the motor once why did you replace it with stock stuff the second time around?... I totally understand starting off with a stock motor and walking that line but once something breaks and you have to go in and do a rebuild why not use something stronger?... seems like a perfect opportunity to upgrade in my opinion... and after the rebuild you said you popped 2 pistons just a day after picking it up... aside from their "tune" job did the shop properly break the motor in before you went out beating on it?... I would hope they would go through this before giving the car back but with the way some places operate these days it wouldn't surprise me if they just let it go and not even say anything about it
I do not have a $6000 to build my engine. I looked at my options and I currently do not have the amount in hand at the moment.
I was told I can go ahead and drive the car hard... No breaking in if that is what you mean.
The problem now is where can I drive in and have the car tuned properly?

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with pistons breaking help!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:24 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Ship car to FSP well worth the $, problems solved..
Old 09-16-2015, 05:30 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Alignment is off so check your blower to idler to tensioner to crank alignment.. That side muse be off to send belt 1 rib left either shim blower pulley left or get A&A pulley so you dont need to worry about that because it has guards.. There are time at WOT if the belt isnt max tensioned or if it has stretched it can jump off a bit too but not like you can watch for that.. Not too many realize that belt stretches so much its crazy.. My advice is get A&A blower pulley and never worry again.. They make em 6 rib or 8 if you have 8 rib but im sure you have 6 rib..

Not tellin u to get this diameter just an example..
Old 09-16-2015, 09:09 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

I'm guessing you had stock pistons dropped in correct? We have done that here a few times and it's a great "quick fix". The hand full of cars we have done that to is still on the road doing great so you do not have to go forged if the budget doesn't allow at this time.

Do not go with a pulley with edges on it, that's only a band aid and if the alignment is off it will roll the belt over and destroy it rather then just jumping a rib. Most likely the tensioner bracket needs to be adjusted, you can look down over the head unit pulley and see the misalignment of the belts if that is the case.

For the amount of boost you have and the power made on a Mustang dyno tells me the timing is too aggressive for 91 octane, hence the cracked pistons. You can either add meth injection, use octane boost, or lower timing/power down to keep things happy.

If I can assist with the tuning or belt alignment feel free to call-PM or email any time.

Quick Reply: Problems with pistons breaking help!