C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally threw a belt......

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:34 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Finally threw a belt......

After all summer and about 1500 miles on this build, I finally shredded an alternator / PS belt yesterday while doing some retuning on the dyno....

I know belts don't just shred themselves (and my hard shifting tranny isn't breaking them ), so I started digging around and checking alignment.
Sure enough the jackshaft pulley of my flip drive had play in it. I expected the bearings to be bad, but after taking it apart it seems the inside of the pulley itself is worn.
A new one is already on the way thanks to Josh............. back on the road in a few days.

Don't think I can reuse this belt..........

Cant see in pick but inside of pulley is a mess...... no idea why, just wear I guess.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:02 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It's about time

Hopefully that fixes it
Old 09-18-2015, 03:09 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by schpenxel
It's about time

Hopefully that fixes it
LOL..........yeah.. I was waiting.....

It will... everything else perfectly aligned.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Did a number on that one.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:27 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

1500 miles seems very low mileage to wear something out that badly though? I would think they would last longer than that. Not sure what's up with Unreal's car but whatever magic is in that thing to make it last that long reliably he should sell in a bottle!
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Vette (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop
1500 miles seems very low mileage to wear something out that badly though? I would think they would last longer than that. Not sure what's up with Unreal's car but whatever magic is in that thing to make it last that long reliably he should sell in a bottle!
Funny enough, when I pulled my balancer I noticed my DD jack shaft had some wobble. I thought it was loose, but the bottom bolt on the bracket was gone. Maybe that is the key to keeping it happy

I went through about 15 belts. When I first got blower on car would shred a blower belt every 300-600 miles. Then DD went on. Then DD belts would last a few thousand, and the list goes on and on. Took a long time, lots of aligning, and lots of changes to get it reliable.

And I rather replace a belt than a $600+ balancer so I would gladly trade Jody issues.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:37 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Unreal
Funny enough, when I pulled my balancer I noticed my DD jack shaft had some wobble. I thought it was loose, but the bottom bolt on the bracket was gone. Maybe that is the key to keeping it happy

I went through about 15 belts. When I first got blower on car would shred a blower belt every 300-600 miles. Then DD went on. Then DD belts would last a few thousand, and the list goes on and on. Took a long time, lots of aligning, and lots of changes to get it reliable.

And I rather replace a belt than a $600+ balancer so I would gladly trade Jody issues.
I will take my issue too. I went all summer with none. This jackshaft pulley only has 1 bolt in the middle holding it on, so its pretty simple. Josh told me that they have upgraded the piece and with the new one, I shouldn't have this issue again.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:39 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by neverstop
This kit I have was on another car for 1 summer. I would assume another few thousand miles there, but could be more. Apparently the pulley has been revamped and with the new model I shouldn't have this issue again.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:42 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,337 Likes on 945 Posts

The belt should still be under warranty. Obviously a manufacturing defect
Old 09-18-2015, 04:46 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by old motorhead
The belt should still be under warranty. Obviously a manufacturing defect
I think it can be repaired....
Old 09-19-2015, 09:19 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
After all summer and about 1500 miles on this build, I finally shredded an alternator / PS belt yesterday while doing some retuning on the dyno....

I know belts don't just shred themselves (and my hard shifting tranny isn't breaking them ), so I started digging around and checking alignment.
Sure enough the jackshaft pulley of my flip drive had play in it. I expected the bearings to be bad, but after taking it apart it seems the inside of the pulley itself is worn.
A new one is already on the way thanks to Josh............. back on the road in a few days.

Don't think I can reuse this belt..........

Cant see in pick but inside of pulley is a mess...... no idea why, just wear I guess.
I had the exact same problem! Mine never threw a belt but always had some "bearing noise". When I pulled the motor this time, I noticed play in the jack shaft pulley as well. I figured it was bearings. So I order some high dollar Timken bearings for it and put them in, then I noticed they were not very tight in the pulley...like you could shake them in there with the snap ring in.

So when I shipped my pulley off to get it machined for the cog drive, they machined the pulley out and put a stainless sleeve in it, fitted to the Timken bearing OD. They also used some bearing lock tite...

So far so good. It seems the aluminum pulley just can't handle the side loads for long. Hopefully the stainless sleeve helps.

Good luck on your new pulley, odds are, you'll be back in it again. 1500 miles is nothing..

Last edited by ajrothm; 09-19-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:22 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Default Finally threw a belt......

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I had the exact same problem! Mine never threw a belt but always had some "bearing noise". When I pulled the motor this time, I noticed play in the jack shaft pulley as well. I figured it was bearings. So I order some high dollar Timken bearings for it and put them in, then I noticed they were not very tight in the pulley...like you could shake them in there with the snap ring in.

So when I shipped my pulley off to get it machined for the cog drive, they machined the pulley out and put a stainless sleeve in it, fitted to the Timken bearing OD. They also used some bearing lock tite...

So far so good. It seems the aluminum pullied just can't handle the side loads for long. Hopefully the stainless sleeve helps.

Good luck on your new pulley, odds are, you'll be back in it again. 1500 miles is nothing..
I hope not. Josh says they have revamped the piece and it should be much better. Luckily it is one of the easiest pieces to change and not expensive. I may just treat it like a maintenance item and change it once a year.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:28 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I hope not. Josh says they have revamped the piece and it should be much better. Luckily it is one of the easiest pieces to change and not expensive. I may just treat it like a maintenance item and change it once a year.
The problem is the pulley itself wallows out, not the shaft that goes thru the bearing....(atleast not on mine). I was shocked when I put the new Timken bearings in and they were loose in the pulley. I measured the OD on them and they were the same as the Japan bearings that was originally in the kit. Looking down the pulley hole, you could see some wear in it. I'd say it was .03-.04", just enough that you could rock the new bearing in it.

Hopefully it lasts a while, it's a pain in the *** to get to that stuff...
I've got 1300 miles on mine since August, so far it's all holding up, still on the original cog belt. Quite a few trips to 7200 on it already.

#fingerscrossed
Old 09-19-2015, 09:55 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Same thing here. The inside of the pulley, not the bearings themselves. I like you idea with the sleeve. When I have some time over the winter I will do that with the old one and keep it as a spare.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:22 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Just to update.....

Josh at A&A sent me a new and updated jackshaft pulley in 2 days. Amazing service as usual. We will not talk about the 800 dollar ticket incurred while going to the border to pick it up.

I noticed things seem a bit quieter since installing it so I guess the old one was probably on its way out since I installed it.

No more belt issues since installing..........
Old 09-27-2015, 08:23 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

$800 ticket? That sounds pretty interesting
Old 09-27-2015, 08:25 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by schpenxel
$800 ticket? That sounds pretty interesting
Expensive pulley. LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Finally threw a belt......

Old 09-28-2015, 05:22 AM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

If it's not one thing its another
Old 09-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

$800 canadian is like $40 US, so that isn't that bad.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:36 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Unreal
$800 canadian is like $40 US, so that isn't that bad.
That would be so nice, but its 800 US. Got it in New York state. That's like 20000.00 Canadian..... LOL

Quick Reply: Finally threw a belt......