C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spal brushless fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 09:24 PM
venemous
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spal brushless fan

Is anyone having issues with the spal brushless setup? The first one that I installed on my car had an ambient temperature shutdown at 75c that didn't work very well so Dewitt's sent me a new fan with an ambient shutdown of 105c its better but not good enough. The fan cools very well with a/c on etc.. The problem starts when I shut the car off for a short period of time then the fan motor gets heat soaked and won't come back on for 15-20 minutes of cool down with the hood up. I have a procharger race intercooler up front and don't know if it may be static pressure on the fan causing the fan motor to overheat. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by venemous
Is anyone having issues with the spal brushless setup? The first one that I installed on my car had an ambient temperature shutdown at 75c that didn't work very well so Dewitt's sent me a new fan with an ambient shutdown of 105c its better but not good enough. The fan cools very well with a/c on etc.. The problem starts when I shut the car off for a short period of time then the fan motor gets heat soaked and won't come back on for 15-20 minutes of cool down with the hood up. I have a procharger race intercooler up front and don't know if it may be static pressure on the fan causing the fan motor to overheat. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
I had the exact same problem with the Brushless fan. It would activate right on temp the first time of the day.. But shut the car off and restart, the fan would never come back on. Even using the override toggle switch it would not come back on. I figured it was something with the temp switch or issue with the fan's logic.

I never figured it out, I didn't trust it so I sent the fan back.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:35 PM
venemous
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I had the exact same problem with the Brushless fan. It would activate right on temp the first time of the day.. But shut the car off and restart, the fan would never come back on. Even using the override toggle switch it would not come back on. I figured it was something with the temp switch or issue with the fan's logic.

I never figured it out, I didn't trust it so I sent the fan back.
It's a thermal overload built into the motor to protect it. It's not the sensor and you can't override it.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:00 PM
maiettar1
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's a thermal overload built into the motor to protect it. It's not the sensor and you can't override it.

So is there a solution to this issue??
Old 09-19-2015, 10:02 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

There can be.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:14 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Yeah I'm not sure.. But I know I could have the fan running for 20 mins, shut the car off, immediately restart it and the fan would not come on.. The only way the fan would come back on was after the coolant temp was back below the fan start temp (165*). Then it would work with both the override switch and the temp switch.

I could drive to the gas station and it would be running fine, shut the car off and get gas.. 5 mins later I start up and go and the temp shoots to 240*+, I pull over and the fan is not on.

I got tired of fooling with trying to make it work right. Went back to dual spals and PCM control.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:19 PM
venemous
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Yeah I'm not sure.. But I know I could have the fan running for 20 mins, shut the car off, immediately restart it and the fan would not come on.. The only way the fan would come back on was after the coolant temp was back below the fan start temp (165*). Then it would work with both the override switch and the temp switch.

I could drive to the gas station and it would be running fine, shut the car off and get gas.. 5 mins later I start up and go and the temp shoots to 240*+, I pull over and the fan is not on.

I got tired of fooling with trying to make it work right. Went back to dual spals and PCM control.
I'd like to go back to the dual spal but with my new procharger setup I'm pretty much stuck using a single fan.

Get notified of new replies

To Spal brushless fan

Quick Reply: Spal brushless fan