C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing a/c compressor with a centri...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:49 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Default changing a/c compressor with a centri...

can the a/c compressor be replaced w/o removing the a&a blower? what brand are people replacing them with (ac delco/oem or other)?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Ac delco was in my car replaced oem.. Dont think blower removal is necessary but thats on my ECS. Now gonna replace that with a 6 ribz compressor..
Old 09-21-2015, 06:07 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Arctic Vette
Ac delco was in my car replaced oem.. Dont think blower removal is necessary but thats on my ECS. Now gonna replace that with a 6 ribz compressor..
my mechanic just mentioned that he would take it out the bottom but has to remove the cradle....$270 labor?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:14 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Looks to me like this is a good opportunity to make your car faster by taking some unnecessary weight off the front end. You can get rid of the condenser and evaporator core too. I've been to Mississippi before and don't remember it being that hot there.....
Old 09-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
my mechanic just mentioned that he would take it out the bottom but has to remove the cradle....$270 labor?
Sounds right.. U can DIY it but its gotta be vacuumed like 1.5 hour and filled exact or ull fk it up bad.. Lol

Its not too bad..
Old 09-21-2015, 07:48 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

$270 isn't bad. I'd pay someone that to do it vs. having to deal with it myself.

You can get it out the top (with an ECS kit anyways), barely, but it's really supposed to come out the bottom and should be easier for someone with a lift to do it that way

I pulled mine out the top to replace the clutch one time. Wish I had just replaced the damn thing then since it's making some noise
Old 09-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by schpenxel
$270 isn't bad. I'd pay someone that to do it vs. having to deal with it myself.

You can get it out the top (with an ECS kit anyways), barely, but it's really supposed to come out the bottom and should be easier for someone with a lift to do it that way

I pulled mine out the top to replace the clutch one time. Wish I had just replaced the damn thing then since it's making some noise
I agree everyone i talk to says just replace it..
Old 09-21-2015, 10:02 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

my compressor froze up and sheered off the shaft to the clutch....never even made a sound prior to it
Old 09-22-2015, 05:12 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

my compressor froze up and sheered off the shaft to the clutch....never even made a sound prior to it
Ouch.. I wonder how that happened, do u have flip drive too?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:10 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Arctic Vette
Ouch.. I wonder how that happened, do u have flip drive too?
No. I actually misunderstood his price.... $470 for labor and recharge....? Still good price?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:18 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Depends. Do you have a vacuum pump/manifold gauges/r134a laying around? If so, I'd probably do it myself at that price. If not, I'd probably let them do it
Old 09-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

No. I actually misunderstood his price.... $470 for labor and recharge....? Still good price?
Yea just let em do it sux but what can ya do.. Do you really want to wait for the tools if you order online? It does take another 2hours or so to recharge etc plus I don't think you have refrigerant materials or the tools which would cost you more than $470 but then you could try and rent but its a PITA for all that bs unless you really do this quite often at least yearly..

http://www.tooltopia.com/ac-tools-to...ice-tools.aspx

Air Conditioning Compressor Replacement

Removal Procedure

1 Recover the refrigerant from the A/C System. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging .
2 Remove the A/C drive belt. Refer to Air Conditioning Compressor Belt Replacement for the 6.0L engine or Air Conditioning Compressor Belt Replacement for the 7.0L engine.
3 Remove the A/C compressor hose assembly from the A/C compressor. Refer to Compressor Hose Assembly Replacement .
4 Lower the front suspension crossmember. Refer to Front Suspension Crossmember Replacement .
5 Disconnect the A/C compressor electrical connector.
6 Remove the A/C compressor mounting bolts (1, 2, 4).
7 Remove the A/C compressor mounting nut (3).
8 Remove the A/C compressor from the vehicle.
Important: Replacement A/C compressors are charged with polyalkylene glycol (PAG) oil. Refer to Refrigerant System Capacities .

9 If replacing the A/C compressor, oil balance the compressor. Refer to Air Conditioning Compressor Oil Balancing .

Installation Procedure

1 Install the A/C compressor to the vehicle.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Important: Finger tighten the A/C compressor bolts and nuts only, do not torque at this time.

2 Position the A/C compressor onto the A/C compressor bracket and install the A/C compressor mounting bolts (1, 2, 4).
3 Install the A/C compressor mounting nut (3).
4 Tighten the A/C compressor mounting bolts and nut in sequence.

Tighten the bolts and nut to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

5 Connect the A/C compressor electrical connector.
6 Raise and install the front suspension crossmember. Refer to Front Suspension Crossmember Replacement .
7 Install the compressor hose assembly to the A/C compressor. Refer to Compressor Hose Assembly Replacement .
8 Install the A/C drive belt. Refer to Air Conditioning Compressor Belt Replacement for the 6.0L engine or Air Conditioning Compressor Belt Replacement for the 7.0L engine.
9 Evacuate and recharge the A/C System. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging .
10 Leak test the fittings of the A/C components using J 39400-A .

Air Conditioning (AC) Refrigerant Filter Replacement

Removal Procedure
1 Recover the refrigerant from the A/C system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging .
2 Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
Important: Immediately cap or tape the open A/C components immediately in order to prevent contamination.

3 Remove the front evaporator inlet line to A/C condenser bolt.
4 Disconnect the front evaporator inlet line from the A/C condenser.
5 Cap or tape off the A/C condenser port.
6 Remove A/C refrigerant filter from the front evaporator inlet line.
7 Remove and discard the seal washer from the front evaporator inlet line.
8 Cap or tape off the front evaporator inlet line.

Installation Procedure

1 Remove the cap or the tape from the front evaporator inlet line.
2 Install a new seal washer to the front evaporator inlet line. Refer to Sealing Washer Replacement .
3 Install the A/C refrigerant filter to the front evaporator inlet line.
4 Remove the cap or tape from the A/C condenser.
5 Connect the front evaporator inlet line to the condenser.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

6 Install the front evaporator inlet line to condenser bolt.
Tighten the bolt to 16 N·m (12 lb ft).
7 Lower the vehicle.
8 Evacuate and recharge the A/C system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging .
9 Leak test the fittings of the component using J 39400-A .
Old 09-22-2015, 02:41 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Depends. Do you have a vacuum pump/manifold gauges/r134a laying around? If so, I'd probably do it myself at that price. If not, I'd probably let them do it
This is my mechanic that installed the blower, so he knows how it is all setup (very ocd as well).....the air conditioning place didn't want to really deal with it.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:45 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I'd probably just let them do it unless you're strapped for cash and/or really like doing the work. It's not a horrible price IMO
Old 09-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Old 09-22-2015, 05:51 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

I'd probably just let them do it unless you're strapped for cash and/or really like doing the work. It's not a horrible price IMO
No....I mean there are a lot of other things I would prefer spending a $1,000 on but.......that's not the way life generally works lol.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:48 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

No....I mean there are a lot of other things I would prefer spending a $1,000 on but.......that's not the way life generally works lol.
Exactly.. Well said lol..

Get notified of new replies

To changing a/c compressor with a centri...

Old 09-28-2015, 09:38 AM
miwitte
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done some AC work in the past and if the compressor puked more than likely you will have debris in the system. If you plull the compressor and when you turn it ove to drain oil if that oil is a metallic slurry the system will need a flush. That would require completely opening system, flushing hoses and evaporator with a Freon based solvent(got it on Amazon, don't use anything else as it will contaminate system), replacing compressor, condenser (these cant really be flushed anymore tubes are too small), orifice tubes(can be cleaned) and accumulator. Next add the correct amount of oil to compressor and accumulator, then vacuum pump it to 30" and verify it can hold. Then for a hour or so keep vacuum pumping to remove all air and water in system. Finally using a weight scale add the correct amount of refrigerant. If you just replace the compressor and there is debris it wont last more than 6 months because it will chew up the new compressor and you will be replacing it again(ask me how I know that one). A/C work is a royal PITA that's why they charge what they do. Its not as simple as replacing the compressor and adding some Freon which might work but wont last.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:42 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

If you are replacing the compressor, replace it with the one from the ZR1. I doubt the price difference is much and it will give you a option to run a 6 rib belt in the future if you choose too.
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Vette (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by miwitte
I've done some AC work in the past and if the compressor puked more than likely you will have debris in the system. If you plull the compressor and when you turn it ove to drain oil if that oil is a metallic slurry the system will need a flush. That would require completely opening system, flushing hoses and evaporator with a Freon based solvent(got it on Amazon, don't use anything else as it will contaminate system), replacing compressor, condenser (these cant really be flushed anymore tubes are too small), orifice tubes(can be cleaned) and accumulator. Next add the correct amount of oil to compressor and accumulator, then vacuum pump it to 30" and verify it can hold. Then for a hour or so keep vacuum pumping to remove all air and water in system. Finally using a weight scale add the correct amount of refrigerant. If you just replace the compressor and there is debris it wont last more than 6 months because it will chew up the new compressor and you will be replacing it again(ask me how I know that one). A/C work is a royal PITA that's why they charge what they do. Its not as simple as replacing the compressor and adding some Freon which might work but wont last.
I am assuming the compressor locked up as the clutch is no longer attached to the compressor......is there a you chance that the compressor is still good and can just replace end clutch assembly?

Quick Reply: changing a/c compressor with a centri...