C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heartbeat, Being Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:34 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I paid around $600 for my FIC 85# injectors. That injector is what the guy tuning my Vette recommended. That was what he thought would be a good fit with plenty of flow up beyond 700rwhp. I'm at 664 with HB, cam, 81mm pulley, and bolt ons. I have an overdrive crank pulley and bigger cam going in soon. My injectors are fine for that and more. There's really no down side to using a little bigger injector.

Talk to the guy that's going to tune your car and get the injector brand that he recommends.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteArts
From your comments and some research, I understand that ls9 will be maxed out much much below 600rwhp. Conclusion is they are no use for me.

Also, the 08 ls3 ECM understands upto 63.5lbs. Do I benefit from the 85lb (calibration, cost, rich fuel )?
I found people happy with an upgrade to 65lbs with injectors not maxed out. If this is true, a set of Fast 65lbs will be 500$ less than IDs.
I will get the IDs if other products will get me in troubles. But saving with no compromise is not bad I guess.
Yes, your ECM is limited on what it will accept for injector flow rate. My prior build was an '08, so I know the drill. The way I made the ID850s work on that car was using the " double stoich AFR" trick. Then you cut injector flow rate in half. It's much easier than scaling the entire tune, and it works. The downside is that you don't get accurate MPG in your DIC, but that's life with a bigger injector in these cars.

Also keep in mind how injectors are rated. Our cars have a 4 bar fuel system, but most are rated at 3 bar. So you might buy a "60 lb" injector that actually flows more than your table allows. Then you either live with inaccurate flow data anyway.

Look at what tuners like Dave Steck and Greg Banish recommend. That should probably help make your decision easier.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:23 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Need to cut IVT terms in half too with that route. It's the best way to do it though IMO
Old 10-07-2015, 01:23 PM
VetteArts
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I paid around $600 for my FIC 85# injectors. That injector is what the guy tuning my Vette recommended. That was what he thought would be a good fit with plenty of flow up beyond 700rwhp. I'm at 664 with HB, cam, 81mm pulley, and bolt ons. I have an overdrive crank pulley and bigger cam going in soon. My injectors are fine for that and more. There's really no down side to using a little bigger injector.

Talk to the guy that's going to tune your car and get the injector brand that he recommends.
Spoke to my tuner, he recommends 85lbs as well. Seems the way to go.

Do you run 20V BAP like Streetk14 or 17.5?
Old 10-07-2015, 01:50 PM
VetteArts
Instructor

Originally Posted by Streetk14
Yes, your ECM is limited on what it will accept for injector flow rate. My prior build was an '08, so I know the drill. The way I made the ID850s work on that car was using the " double stoich AFR" trick. Then you cut injector flow rate in half. It's much easier than scaling the entire tune, and it works. The downside is that you don't get accurate MPG in your DIC, but that's life with a bigger injector in these cars.

Also keep in mind how injectors are rated. Our cars have a 4 bar fuel system, but most are rated at 3 bar. So you might buy a "60 lb" injector that actually flows more than your table allows. Then you either live with inaccurate flow data anyway.

Look at what tuners like Dave Steck and Greg Banish recommend. That should probably help make your decision easier.
Originally Posted by schpenxel
Need to cut IVT terms in half too with that route. It's the best way to do it though IMO
That is a bit deep for me. For sure, I will get this to my tuner to consider when on dyno.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

It's 3 tables. Double one, copy paste data into one from ID's provided data, and cut another one in half. Done.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

It's 3 tables. Double one, copy paste data into one from ID's provided data, and cut another one in half. Done.
You want to let him in on FIC's data scandal, or should I?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:37 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I got tired of repeating it over and over... I'll let you take this one

I had this bookmarked, so that should get the party started

http://injectordynamics.com/articles...s-but-cheaper/
Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Streetk14

Definitely the best and easiest way to do it for most. Have been running using the double stoich method for a few years now. You can adjust to fix the mileage in the DIC too if it bothers you.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Definitely the best and easiest way to do it for most. Have been running using the double stoich method for a few years now. You can adjust to fix the mileage in the DIC too if it bothers you.
Yup...thankfully I didn't have to do that on my '13 since The ID850s work with the stock flow rate table.

But I guess the point I was trying to make to the OP was that most of the 60+ lb injectors out there are actually going to max out his flow rate table and he might as well just pony up for a good set with good data like the ID's.

I'm not sure, but I thought there were some SD injectors that had good data. That would be another option if so. Because personally, I won't run anything but Injector Dynamics or a factory injector like the LS9. Just not worth the tuning hassles. I know everyone did it 10 years ago, but I'm not one to live in the past when there are better options.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:52 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Greg Banish's DVD's include data for a lot of common Ford Motorsports injectors, and perhaps some others that I can't remember. The problem is people try to use the 60# Ford Motorsports injector data for every 60# injector under the sun... the results aren't so great
Old 10-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Did the double stoich, in fact now I'm past that, like 75% stoich. Never heard of the IVT thing.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:30 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Basically stoich being manipulated like that does some weird thing to intake valve temp calculations (they end up really high). 'Steck got HPT to add access to the IVT AFR terms. Cutting them in half cancels out the double stoich thing and makes the IVT calculations go back to normal

Not a huge deal IMO, but I assume there's a reason he went through the trouble of getting HPT to add it
Old 10-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Basically stoich being manipulated like that does some weird thing to intake valve temp calculations (they end up really high). 'Steck got HPT to add access to the IVT AFR terms. Cutting them in half cancels out the double stoich thing and makes the IVT calculations go back to normal

Not a huge deal IMO, but I assume there's a reason he went through the trouble of getting HPT to add it
That's a fairly new addition, right? I don't remember seeing it when I was doing the majority of the tuning on my '08 about 3 years ago. I've noticed it when tuning my '13, but never paid much attention since I have plenty of flow rate table on this car.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah it's fairly new. I'm honestly not sure how much difference it makes either way...

I know some of the transient fueling calcs are based on IVT, but I'm not sure what else is. Pretty much no one has transient fueling right anyways so it's probably not too big a deal
Old 10-18-2015, 04:56 PM
VetteArts
Instructor

Got my order processed now. Added ID 85 and KB BAP and 81mm pulley.

As for methanol, I see alky have M10 and M15... what's the difference?
I guess my application will be MAF.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:58 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

M10/M15 is the nozzle size. The higher the number the bigger the hole, i.e. more flow

Get notified of new replies

To Heartbeat, Being Ordered

Old 10-19-2015, 04:26 PM
VetteArts
Instructor

Their website has a dropdown menu titled twin nozzle.. giving the options of m10 and m15.
Which one should I order.. have been trying to call them but no answer.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

If you've tried to call them more than once during normal business hours, I wouldn't give them any business until they answer the phone. Far too many tuners have come and gone in the middle of the night.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:16 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Whose website?

Quick Reply: Heartbeat, Being Ordered