C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Dry Sump GS...which SC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 10:36 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Default 2013 Dry Sump GS...which SC?

I have a 2013 Grand Sport with the Dry Sump LS3. It has a tune, CAI, Longtube headers & Zo6 exhaust. I'm looking for a super charger that is not a 'self contained' unit. I would rather get a kit that uses engine oil instead of a self contained unit.

Which kit do you guys recommend as a complete kit minus the tune?

The first kit that I came to in my search was a Texas Speed A&A Supercharger with the V2si trim for the lubrication with engine oil...any thoughts on engine oil lube vs self contained? 1 kit vs the or the other?

This car is not a drag race/road race car, just hi-speed/low drag daily driver...
Old 10-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

You can do that A&A or the ECS 2200R is engine oil fed..
Old 10-04-2015, 11:59 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I would recommend a&a... do you have a tuner in mind?
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Vette (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 12:06 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoneychris
I have a 2013 Grand Sport with the Dry Sump LS3. It has a tune, CAI, Longtube headers & Zo6 exhaust. I'm looking for a super charger that is not a 'self contained' unit. I would rather get a kit that uses engine oil instead of a self contained unit.

The first kit that I came to in my search was a Texas Speed A&A Supercharger with the V2si trim for the lubrication with engine oil...any thoughts on engine oil lube vs self contained? 1 kit vs the or the other?

This car is not a drag race/road race car, just hi-speed/low drag daily driver...

Just an FYI, you can get the 1500/T-trim, 2200/JT-trim, or 2200R/YSI oil fed if ordered that way.

Oil fed versions also increase their max impeller RPM usually. I prefer them myself, but many do not like to tap the oil pan.

Last edited by DOUG @ ECS; 10-05-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:56 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the feed back guys. I have a tuner in mind at Central Texas Performance in Lampassas, TX. (His name is Jeff) Jeff & a guy that works with him installed ARH long tubes, Catted X-pipe, axle-back exhaust & did the tune. I'm very impressed w/all the work that was completed. I will go back there if I end up getting a SC. I am just pricing various kits & weighing the pros/cons.
Looking for:
-Very reliable/low maintenance
-Complete kit that works on a dry sump engine
-Engine oil fed lubrication
-Centrifugal/intercooled
-Best available belt & tensioner set-up
-Area of 550-650whp reliable/stand alone (Not using meth)

Last edited by dmoneychris; 10-05-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow ur in Killeen must be Ft Hood , A&A or ECS are your best bet bro.. I have a dry sump as well and love the kits they make for the Vette.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:23 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arctic Vette
Wow ur in Killeen must be Ft Hood , A&A or ECS are your best bet bro.. I have a dry sump as well and love the kits they make for the Vette.
Thank you. Yeah we're right by Ft. Hood (we can hear the artillery practice some days)

I have been looking at different Superchargers & I like the the one that I saw on Texas Speed & Performance's website. Texas Speed uses an A&A Vortec kit from the look of it. I want to go that route to get the V2Si kit. I want to go that route & tap the oil pan to use engine oil to lubricate the Supercharger. I would think going that route, the oil would be of a more consistent temperature & get filtered through the oil filter.

Are there any comments either - For/or/Against - the kit from Texas Speed? (https://www.texas-speed.com/p-2710-a...arger-kit.aspx)
Old 10-13-2015, 12:36 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thank you. Yeah we're right by Ft. Hood (we can hear the artillery practice some days)

I have been looking at different Superchargers & I like the the one that I saw on Texas Speed & Performance's website. Texas Speed uses an A&A Vortec kit from the look of it. I want to go that route to get the V2Si kit. I want to go that route & tap the oil pan to use engine oil to lubricate the Supercharger. I would think going that route, the oil would be of a more consistent temperature & get filtered through the oil filter.

Are there any comments either - For/or/Against - the kit from Texas Speed? (https://www.texas-speed.com/p-2710-a...arger-kit.aspx)
By direct from A&A.... service is fantastic and I bet you get as good or better a price.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:55 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by realcanuk
By direct from A&A.... service is fantastic and I bet you get as good or better a price.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check into that if I get closer to pulling the trigger.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:16 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

-Area of 550-650whp reliable/stand alone (Not using meth)
Very happy with my A&A kit. I made 600RWHP on my 13 GS dry sump with just the base A&A V3Si with 3.8" pulley and LS7 exhaust manifolds.

I want to go that route & tap the oil pan to use engine oil to lubricate the Supercharger. I would think going that route, the oil would be of a more consistent temperature & get filtered through the oil filter.
Here's the area where I'd disagree with you. I did a LOT of research before buying mine, and used to think the same thing (that engine oiled was better). Pretty much everything I found however, pointed in the opposite direction. The big points I found were:
  • The self-contained actually runs cooler than the engine oiled.
  • Self contained allows for lubricant specifically designed for the blower's needs.
  • Engine oil will contain contaminants that are of significant size which you won't see in self contained.
  • Tapping the pan can introduce metal shavings into the system.
  • Self-contained unit can have the oil changed very quickly.
  • Pan can leak where tapped.
  • Engine oil fed unit can contaminate/damage engine if the blower fails.
  • Install/removal of self-contained is easier.
  • Finally, most of the blower manufacturers recommend the self-contained unit of the engine oil fed.

Here's some info that TRIZ posted several years ago from a Procharger test (the links he had no longer work):
Info from Procharger:
Summary of 2004 Chevrolet Z06 Corvette Testing
Objective: Determine the operating temperature of the lubricating oil within a selfcontained automotive supercharger in various street driving conditions. Compare selfcontained lubricating oil operating temperature against engine oil operating temperature.
Description: A 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 with ProCharger Stage II self-contained, intercooled supercharger system was driven through two street driving cycles. First, from a cold start the car was driven until warmed up then repeated wide open throttle acceleration runs were made (Figures 1 & 2). Next the car was parked for several hours
before being driven in a more conservative manner with 3 wide open throttle acceleration runs mixed in with steady freeway cruising (Figures 3 & 4). The vehicle was instrumented and an IO Tech Personal DAQ/56 USB data acquisition system and Vetronix Tech 2 diagnostic tester were used to observe and record the following parameters:
• Supercharger Inlet Temperature: Personal DAQ, K-type thermocouple inserted in the inlet tract of the supercharger.
• Supercharger Discharge Temperature: Personal DAQ, K-type thermocouple inserted in the discharge tube between the supercharger and the intercooler.
• Self-Contained Supercharger Oil Temperature: Personal DAQ, K-type
thermocouple inserted in the oil reservoir about ¼” offset from the slinger.
• Engine Oil Temperature: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle oil temperature sensor. This parameter is slightly different than ‘oil-fed supercharger oil temperature’ in that oil fed supercharger oil is taken from the engine oil and likely cools down 10oF - 15oF before being injected into the oil-fed supercharger.
• Engine Coolant Temperature: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle coolant temperature sensor.
• Vehicle Speed: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle speed sensor.
• Engine Speed: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle crank speed sensor.

Summary: Engine oil and self-contained supercharger oil start out at the same temperature and warm up at similar rates for the first 2 minutes from cold start. After 2 minutes the engine oil rapidly heats up to temperatures above 200oF while the selfcontained supercharger oil operates at temperatures between 105oF and 115oF (Figure 1).

Figure 1 also shows that the self-contained supercharger oil has reached a sort of equilibrium. Under high engine load the temperature increases and under low engine load the temperature decreases. This defines an operating temperature range for the selfcontained supercharger oil between 105oF and 115oF. The engine oil temperatures have not stabilized. Engine oil temperature rapidly increases under high load and holds steady or slowly increases under light load conditions. Thus the engine oil temperature has not reached equilibrium and its operating temperature is unknown but is well over 200oF. It should be noted that oil-fed superchargers typically use engine oil that has run through several feet of hose and this gives the oil an opportunity to cool down slightly before being injected into the oil-fed supercharger. Typically, a 10oF - 15oF drop in oil temperature is seen in an automotive application between the engine block and oil-fed
supercharger.

I copied this info from the porcharger link below. There are also charts in the link; especially note figure 3. Hope this helps.

Here's the link:
http://www.procharger.com/consumer_a...6_oil_temp.pdf
http://www.procharger.com/consumer_alert.shtml
Here's another test (on a Ford, but still valid) that showed the same thing: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...rcharger-test/
Old 10-15-2015, 03:28 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Your points toward getting a self contained unit make sense.
I guess if I changed the oil pretty often in the self contained unit there'd also be even less to worry about.

Originally Posted by Evan70
Very happy with my A&A kit. I made 600RWHP on my 13 GS dry sump with just the base A&A V3Si with 3.8" pulley and LS7 exhaust manifolds.

Here's the area where I'd disagree with you. I did a LOT of research before buying mine, and used to think the same thing (that engine oiled was better). Pretty much everything I found however, pointed in the opposite direction. The big points I found were:
  • The self-contained actually runs cooler than the engine oiled.
  • Self contained allows for lubricant specifically designed for the blower's needs.
  • Engine oil will contain contaminants that are of significant size which you won't see in self contained.
  • Tapping the pan can introduce metal shavings into the system.
  • Self-contained unit can have the oil changed very quickly.
  • Pan can leak where tapped.
  • Engine oil fed unit can contaminate/damage engine if the blower fails.
  • Install/removal of self-contained is easier.
  • Finally, most of the blower manufacturers recommend the self-contained unit of the engine oil fed.

Here's some info that TRIZ posted several years ago from a Procharger test (the links he had no longer work):

Here's another test (on a Ford, but still valid) that showed the same thing: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...rcharger-test/
Old 10-15-2015, 03:45 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I guess if I changed the oil pretty often in the self contained unit there'd also be even less to worry about.
If set up right, it should be a 5-10 minute job, and should be done about every 6K miles. For me, that's like once a year.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:32 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah it's not bad at all to change. Basically just removing a drain bolt, reinstalling it, removing a fill plug, filling, reinstall fill plug, done
Old 10-15-2015, 11:35 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Yeah it's not bad at all to change. Basically just removing a drain bolt, reinstalling it, removing a fill plug, filling, reinstall fill plug, done
even easier if you have a remote drain line
Old 10-16-2015, 12:00 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yep. Drain bolt on the remote drain line I meant
Old 10-16-2015, 12:07 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Yep. Drain bolt on the remote drain line I meant
my procharger didn't come with one and the company I originally bought it from didn't supply one either, mine was an add on haha
Old 10-17-2015, 06:00 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the feed back guys.
I am kind of OCD when it comes to preventative maintenance on my vehicles. I am liking more & more the idea of the V3 Vortec route.
It seems to me that if it's set up right w/a drain line somewhere that I can access it, then I could change it pretty often & it would be a very durable set up.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Dry Sump GS...which SC?

Quick Reply: 2013 Dry Sump GS...which SC?