C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS 1500 on LS2 squeak cause?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Slick 6MT
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default ECS 1500 on LS2 squeak cause?

Got the car back from ECS two months ago and drove it straight to the body shop. I just picked it up and there's a squeal that you can hear in the video below. It's heard at startup then it goes away while gently cruising. If I give 80%+ throttle through a couple gears it starts squealing very loud.

The car has 58,000 miles with the following:

-fresh oil change
-fresh supercharger oil
-brand new waterpump
-brand new 888 belt
-brand new tensioner

My initial thought was the power steering pump bearings as that's the only item that's not brand new (aside from the alternator that isn't making the noise)

The belt tension is nice and tight and the harmonic balancer isn't wobbling too bad.

Thoughts?

Thanks, guys

Last edited by Slick 6MT; 10-25-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:40 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow its pretty darn quiet besides that, you may need to check alignment first with alignment tool n go from there.. I had that problem but on yours you dont have flip so its not as easy to say its one side or the other. My guess is alignment is off from alt to ps to blower.. Try swapping belt too. Look at belt edges to see if its ripping it up riding on one side because off alignment which causes friction and that sound then belt rips..
Old 10-25-2015, 03:39 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sounds like it's on drivers side to me..

Any change with AC on or off?

There's one idler on the main belt that's left stock.. that would be the first thing I'd look at. It's near the power steering pump/alternator. This is what I'd check first.

I'd pull the main belt and start spinning everything that you can by hand.. I think you'll find something with some worn out bearings

I fried the bearings in the idler on the "manual" tensioner on the ECS bracket also. It caused some noise on cold starts but unless yours has some miles on it I doubt it's that on yours

Also been through two power steering pumps, alternator and water pump. The idler bearings was the only one that sounded similar to yours though

If you don't find anything that feels like bearings could be going I'd look at bearings on the pulley on the AC belt tensioner next

Last edited by schpenxel; 10-25-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I did that as well, start spinning the pulleys with the belt off if you can.. We have gone through quite a few belts lol..
Old 10-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Slick 6MT
Drifting

The fun continues.... I posted this thread when I was at my brother's house (130 miles from my place) and I drove the car home right after and more problems came about. I babied the car for the trip and ~50 miles into the trip I revved it up (with the clutch in) and two messages popped up on the DIC. "Reduced Engine Power and "Service Electrical System" back to back. The car then stayed in limp mode for the rest of the trip.

Ughhhhhh
Old 10-27-2015, 09:37 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Pull codes, start from there.. they should give an obvious direction to go next.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:44 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick 6MT
The fun continues.... I posted this thread when I was at my brother's house (130 miles from my place) and I drove the car home right after and more problems came about. I babied the car for the trip and ~50 miles into the trip I revved it up (with the clutch in) and two messages popped up on the DIC. "Reduced Engine Power and "Service Electrical System" back to back. The car then stayed in limp mode for the rest of the trip.

Ughhhhhh

You're welcome to drop it off and I'll check codes and diagnose the problem. I'm sure we can figure it our quickly.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:41 PM
Slick 6MT
Drifting

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
You're welcome to drop it off and I'll check codes and diagnose the problem. I'm sure we can figure it our quickly.
Well..... almost a year later.... I finally find the time to drop her off at ECS.

I can't wait to get her back already!

Get notified of new replies

To ECS 1500 on LS2 squeak cause?

Quick Reply: ECS 1500 on LS2 squeak cause?