C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

408 LS2 low oil pressure issue advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 05:07 PM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 408 LS2 low oil pressure issue advice needed.

Ok guys so we finished up the ls2 408 ysi build yesterday and got the first start up last night. Noticed the oil pressure was slightly lower than my heads and cam install. We were sitting around 50 psi to begin with and down to around 25 when she warmed up. So we brought the car to the Dyno shop last night and left it outdoors for 13 hours. Went to fire it up this morning and got no Oil pressure showing. After about 5 seconds or so the oil pressure began to rise after revving it to about 2500 rpm. Shortly after this while trying to tune it we shut it off and started it only to hear the sound of valve noise ticking. This only happened immediately after starting it and it only lasts for a few seconds then goes away. However now the oil pressure is down to 10 to 15 psi at idle when warmed up. She's idling between 650 to 900 rpm. I'm at a lost. I'm at my wits end with this build. I've been trying to get this build put together since February. It's just two steps forward and one step back. Anyways here's the clearances that my builder told me he has done with the engine.

2006 LS2
4.00 inch crank
4.030 bore

Clearances
Rods (2 thousandths)
Mains ( 1.5 thousandths)
oil pickup is stock and a bit less than a quarter inch off the pan floor.
We made our own catch can and its constantly blowing smoke out the filter.

Last edited by C6vettegfw; 11-22-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:16 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by C6vettegfw
Ok guys so we finished up the ls2 408 ysi build yesterday and got the first start up last night. Noticed the oil pressure was slightly lower than my heads and cam install. We were sitting around 50 psi to begin with and down to around 25 when she warmed up. So we brought the car to the Dyno shop last night and left it outdoors for 13 hours. Went to fire it up this morning and got no Oil pressure showing. After about 5 seconds or so the oil pressure began to rise after revving it to about 2500 rpm. Shortly after this while trying to tune it we shut it off and started it only to hear the sound of valve noise ticking. This only happened immediately after starting it and it only lasts for a few seconds then goes away. However now the oil pressure is down to 10 to 15 psi at idle when warmed up. She's idling between 650 to 900 rpm. I'm at a lost. I'm at my wits end with this build. I've been trying to get this build put together since February. It's just two steps forward and one step back. Anyways here's the clearances that my builder told me he has done with the engine.

2006 LS2
4.00 inch crank
4.030 bore

Clearances
Rods (2 thousandths)
Mains ( 1.5 thousandths)
oil pickup is stock and a bit less than a quarter inch off the pan floor.
We made our own catch can and its constantly blowing smoke out the filter.
Something is wrong...you may as well pull it. The fact that the pressure gets lower and lower the more it runs, tells me its a bearing. .0015" sounds a little tight to me on the mains...

Maybe the o ring got cut on the oil pick up tube, but odds are, the damage is done.

I'd start with pulling the oil filter, cutting it open and look inside the pleats and the shell for bearing material...
Old 11-22-2015, 07:44 PM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Something is wrong...you may as well pull it. The fact that the pressure gets lower and lower the more it runs, tells me its a bearing. .0015" sounds a little tight to me on the mains...

Maybe the o ring got cut on the oil pick up tube, but odds are, the damage is done.

I'd start with pulling the oil filter, cutting it open and look inside the pleats and the shell for bearing material...
Ok well wouldn't having a tight clearance raise the oil pressure not lower it
Old 11-22-2015, 09:05 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

damaged o-ring on oil pickup tube will cause these exact issues.hopefully that's all it is. 1.5 thousandths is definitely not tight on the mains.the new o-ring has to be lubricated with engine oil when installed and seated completely.do not pull up with bolt before hand.as stated above cut filter and check.

Last edited by irok; 11-22-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:16 PM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Originally Posted by irok
damaged o-ring on oil pickup tube will cause these exact issues.hopefully that's all it is
I hope that's all it is too man. Just waiting to hear back from my builder now. He's mins away from taking apart the oil filter...
Old 11-22-2015, 10:44 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It would unless damage was done...

Pull the filter and go from there. Not much anyone can say beyond that honestly
Old 11-22-2015, 11:02 PM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
It would unless damage was done...

Pull the filter and go from there. Not much anyone can say beyond that honestly
Ok great news.. The filter and and ill look fine no debris at all.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:04 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

That certainly isn't a bad sign!
Old 11-22-2015, 11:05 PM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
That certainly isn't a bad sign!
It sure ain't thank god
Old 11-22-2015, 11:29 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 396 Likes on 361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

That's good news. Now they have to find the reason for the pressure issue. Checking that Oring isn't fun, but gotta be done I guess.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:43 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

damaged o-ring on oil pickup tube will cause these exact issues.hopefully that's all it is. 1.5 thousandths is definitely not tight on the mains.the new o-ring has to be lubricated with engine oil when installed and seated completely.do not pull up with bolt before hand.as stated above cut filter and check.
Don't know where your getting your data from, but for a stock motor those clearances are totally possible. But I don't know of anyone that sets them up that tight on any performance motor at all. JMO. The AL blocks do grow a lot when hot so the pressure will vary from cold to hot quite a bit, and you don't want to go beating on them at all till up to temp. Most do anyways, but wanted to mention it again for your benefit. Glad you checked the filter looking good for you. A few things to verify is pick up tube O-ring as everyone has suggested as its common, but also the pick up tube distance from the bottom of the pan. To close can cause similar issues and won't show a problem until you get some miles on it Third is the oil pump bypass seen them stick open and do the same thing and then free up etc... GL!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:54 AM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Originally Posted by realcanuk
That's good news. Now they have to find the reason for the pressure issue. Checking that Oring isn't fun, but gotta be done I guess.
Why isn't checking the o ring fun? Is it hard to get at or what?
Old 11-23-2015, 06:37 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

As long as it maintains above 10 psi at hot idle you are perfectly fine. If it bothers you run a heavier oil like 15/40 rotella or 20/50 VR1. High oil pressure is just as bad as low oil pressure, it can cause hydraulic lifters to stay pumped up and act like a solid lifter taking your preload out of the equation and hanging valves open.

As mentioned above, it's worth giving the pump a look since it can be done in the car. Pull the pump off, disassemble it, look the housing and rotors over and reassemble it using assembly lube.. Reinstall with a new o-ring.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:21 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Why isn't checking the o ring fun? Is it hard to get at or what?
Yeah on the vettes the steering rack is right in front of the balancer so it adds another level of PITA lol. But your going to have to do it to look at the pump and the O-ring. GL!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:22 AM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Ok so the pump is apart and put back together. He said it's fine. So now he's lowering the cradle so he can check the pick up and relief valve. How far off the pan floor should the pick up tube be. He said it's less than 1/4 inch..
Old 11-23-2015, 09:25 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 953 Posts

Are you sure your gauge is reading correctly? On the older GM motors, that's the first (and easiest and cheapest) thing to cross off your list of possibilities.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:53 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Ok so the pump is apart and put back together. He said it's fine. So now he's lowering the cradle so he can check the pick up and relief valve. How far off the pan floor should the pick up tube be. He said it's less than 1/4 inch..
if you are using the factory pickup tube, oil pump, crank bearing cap and oil pan your spacing cant be wrong

Last edited by irok; 11-23-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 408 LS2 low oil pressure issue advice needed.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:17 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

if you are using the factory pickup tube, oil pump, crank bearing cap and oil pan your spacing cant be wrong

Agreed

and even if the spacing was off, unless the pan was empty or oil level was low, this wouldn't effect pressure. If the pump was cavitating due to low oil level, you would see that...

Last edited by SquatchMachining; 11-23-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:42 PM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining
Agreed

and even if the spacing was off, unless the pan was empty or oil level was low, this wouldn't effect pressure. If the pump was cavitating due to low oil level, you would see that...
After tearing apart the oil filter and finding nothing wrong we moved onto the oil pump. Again after no trouble we took the oil pan off and the oil looks fine... After review of the oil pickup o ring the conclusion was...... It's $&@&ed!!!! it was in terrible shape and even blowing a bit of air on it it was moving all over the place and very sloppy in its place. I'm thinking we have found the culprit!!!! Fingers crossed guys. It's going back together tomorrow and hopefully started before lunch.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:47 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I sure hope that's it

Quick Reply: 408 LS2 low oil pressure issue advice needed.