C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aeromotive Fuel Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:48 AM
CallawayC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Aeromotive Fuel Filter Change

This might be a really dumb question, but I figured I'd ask anyways just to be sure.

So my car has had the A1000 Fuel system for a few years now, however, the micron element in the fuel filter has never been changed ( car has only been driven approx 5k miles since ). Aeromotive recommends it be changed annually. Figured it's probably time to get this done now. I realize that you just twist off one side of the fuel filter pull out the filter element put a new one in and twist it back shut. However, if I don't have a shut off valve on my fuel filter, and I'm not trying to get sprayed with fuel still in the lines, is there a way to do this safely? I apoligize for my ignorance in advance, but I've never done this before so I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

To bleed off pressure in the lines you can pull the fuel pump fuse, start the car, run it till it dies

Do you have factory fuel rails or something else? On the factory rails there is a schraeder valve you can push down that will let you bleed off pressure too (obviously put a rag over it if you go this route..)
The following users liked this post:
CallawayC (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 11:23 AM
CallawayC
Racer

Originally Posted by schpenxel
To bleed off pressure in the lines you can pull the fuel pump fuse, start the car, run it till it dies

Do you have factory fuel rails or something else? On the factory rails there is a schraeder valve you can push down that will let you bleed off pressure too (obviously put a rag over it if you go this route..)

Does the same apply if the car has been sitting for an extended period of time? It's officially been in storage for about a month now, so it hasn't been started. I was planning to do this while the car is still sitting.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:35 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have no idea if it will still have any fuel pressure after that long.. Will depend on the setup... I assume it has a check valve of some sort but don't know that for sure. Mine still has a little pressure after about a week, but it's basically a stock setup

I'd probably just wrap a towel around the fuel filter or whatever you need to take apart and go for it.. as long as it doesn't get gas on your face or anything you should be fine. Or you could wear a face shield to be protected for sure.

Probably overkill.. but I've been a bit more safety oriented since putting a nice scratch into my eye maybe 6 months ago

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-30-2015 at 11:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CallawayC (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 11:45 AM
CallawayC
Racer

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I have no idea if it will still have any fuel pressure after that long.. Will depend on the setup... I assume it has a check valve of some sort but don't know that for sure. Mine still has a little pressure after about a week, but it's basically a stock setup

I'd probably just wrap a towel around the fuel filter or whatever you need to take apart and go for it.. as long as it doesn't get gas on your face or anything you should be fine. Or you could wear a face shield to be protected for sure.

Probably overkill.. but I've been a bit more safety oriented since putting a nice scratch into my eye maybe 6 months ago
That's what I was thinking. I appreciate the reassurance
Old 11-30-2015, 03:14 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

curious what part number you are using and if you mean using an A1000 as an external fuel pump setup?

for letting out fuel psi, if you have stock fuel rails then the schrader valve is the preferred way, it's not really that big of a deal imo to loosen the connection just barely and wrap it in rags though and let the fuel bleed off into the rags if you are not on stock fuel rails and also don't have a relief valve anywhere. my aeromotive regulator has a bleed off valve too btw right on top.

if your a1000 setup is anything like mine with the filter in the engine compartment at the top of the engine bay near the brake master cylinder, there won't be much fuel leaking out there once you open it up
Old 11-30-2015, 03:31 PM
CallawayC
Racer

Originally Posted by neverstop
curious what part number you are using and if you mean using an A1000 as an external fuel pump setup?

for letting out fuel psi, if you have stock fuel rails then the schrader valve is the preferred way, it's not really that big of a deal imo to loosen the connection just barely and wrap it in rags though and let the fuel bleed off into the rags if you are not on stock fuel rails and also don't have a relief valve anywhere. my aeromotive regulator has a bleed off valve too btw right on top.

if your a1000 setup is anything like mine with the filter in the engine compartment at the top of the engine bay near the brake master cylinder, there won't be much fuel leaking out there once you open it up

My setup is a bit different in terms of filter location, the fuel filter is actually in the left wheel well between the door and wheel opening.

I spoke with one of the guys from Aeromotive today and he told me that I should be fine just using a rag when I go in to change the filter out, especially if the car hasn't been ran in a while.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:24 PM
CallawayC
Racer

I was able to get the fuel filter element out today. Took me some time since it was located behind the rear fender liner ( needless to say everything had to come out before I could get to it ). Once i finally got to the filter element I figured I could just unscrew the housing cap and I'd be able to pull the filter out. ( Not as easy as I thought )

With some effort I finally got it out, but I believe that I didn't do it the way it was intended to be done.

I have attached some pictures as reference.

Could someone steer me in the right direction, so that the re-install goes a bit smoother? What needs to be undone first?

Filter element in place

Filter un-done ( I believe that I should have disconnected the black extension from the line before proceeding to unscrew the filter housing cap ? )

This filter element was initially yellow, definitely time for a new filter element

Get notified of new replies

To Aeromotive Fuel Filter Change

Quick Reply: Aeromotive Fuel Filter Change