C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ECS kit on the way

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:00 AM
OhioC5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Another ECS kit on the way

My car is a 2007 Yellow Z06

Just wanted to add to this first post - I bought the ECS SC kit through TPS Motorsports and dealt with Mike Mak.

It's amazing how fast plans can spin out of control. Originally I purchased a complete BTR stage 3 cam kit with gaskets, Trunion kit, springs, Ti retainers, MSD Air Force intake and have been in talk with Texas Speed for a new set of heads.

A couple of weeks go by and I start thinking how much I'd like to have a supercharger kit. I go back and forth about putting boost to my LS7. I talked to ECS and they have a bunch of kits successfully running around. I sent messages to several members about their kits and if they have any major mechanical problems. Everyone gave the kit great reviews.

Decide what the heck, I bought the ECS kit. Brian Tooley agreed to swap my unopened cam for a custom ground blower cam. Very nice of him, I'm sure he was not obligated to make any kind of swap for me. If he didn't I would've never said a bad thing about him. I felt guilty for asking, but it was not an issue for him.

Now I need to decide if I should return the MSD intake to that big box store right down the road from me and grab a set of Kooks long tubes. I really want a catted x-pipe. I'm trying to talk myself into the off road pipes but I've been down that road before. My wife hates smelling like fuel if we take a ride.

Should I return the MSD? Is it pretty much a waste of money at this point?

I'm leaning toward the PRC 285 heads now.

This presents 3 more issues.

I own 55 gallons of M1 methanol, do I order the meth kit and just get it out of the way?

I don't imagine the clutch will last very long under boost. Could I get away with a good single?

Lastly, I need to check on prices on swapping out the factory pistons for forged slugs. I'm tempted to run it as is because of all of the good reports of longevity.

Anyway, I ordered the black head unit and black pipes.

I'll update this thread as things progress. I still need to order new lifters and trays, decide on exhaust, get my wideband installed. Also have 4 new tires to get mounted and balanced. I wish it was the beginning of spring not winter.

Last edited by OhioC5; 01-09-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:20 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What are you hoping to get out of the setup?

I'd return the intake unless you just want to see how it does under boost. Stock intakes have made well over 1000rwhp without issues

I'm a fan of methanol. Anything to help stop spark knock is a winner to me

Last edited by schpenxel; 12-22-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:57 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Yup return that intake, put the coins toward LT's, will be way better! aftermarket intakes usually dont like boost anyway. Im also a fan of meth so... Free low AIT's and cheap race fuel! Are you doing the install?
Old 12-22-2015, 05:59 PM
OhioC5
Drifting

Yes, I'm going to do the install. I've installed about 3 supercharger kits and have done a few head cams on LSx based stuff. The worse one was a Boxster I installed a roots type supercharger on. Good God, it took me 40 hours. It's still a sticky on the Porsche board from years ago.

I bought long tube headers last night.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:34 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

You have a nice build in the works! Thanks for the business.

If you have any questions along the way feel free to call or email.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:47 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioC5
Yes, I'm going to do the install. I've installed about 3 supercharger kits and have done a few head cams on LSx based stuff. The worse one was a Boxster I installed a roots type supercharger on. Good God, it took me 40 hours. It's still a sticky on the Porsche board from years ago.

I bought long tube headers last night.
What headers did you get? I just finished the install of mine. Took much more time than expected, but I think extra time to make sure everything was perfectly fitted, routed, bolted and etc. Instructions are pretty much just a guide line! Still trying to figure out how im supposed to fit the bumper right!! Instructions are nowhere near close!
Old 12-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Spend the money on a Mantic 9000. Don't bother with a single.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:28 PM
OhioC5
Drifting

Thanks Doug, I'm looking forward to getting the kit! I'm probably going to call you in a couple of weeks for the Alky control meth kit. I'm still kicking it around, I have 55 gallons of meth in my garage I was using in my Buick.

I'm going to try the Hinson ceramic coated headers. The got me with the install video to be honest. They look like they fit very well. E-mail from them said 5-7 days before they ship.

Brian Tooley is going to have a blower cam ground for me. I'm deciding on heads now too, if it gets real cold here it will put the brakes on my install. I'm getting too old for the cold and my back can't handle too much anymore either.

I was going to ask about a clutch next. I think Tooleys car put down 880 hp with the same cam he's sending me. Pretty sure he has alky and TFS heads with his SC kit.

The MSD intake went back today.

Last edited by OhioC5; 12-23-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:28 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
What headers did you get? I just finished the install of mine. Took much more time than expected, but I think extra time to make sure everything was perfectly fitted, routed, bolted and etc. Instructions are pretty much just a guide line! Still trying to figure out how im supposed to fit the bumper right!! Instructions are nowhere near close!
Taking extra time is always worth it in a build if you do not do these things daily. As they say measure twice cut once.

Not sure why you have the bumper off though? Are you sure you have the correct instructions? They are on our web site.

Originally Posted by OhioC5
Thanks Doug, I'm looking forward to getting the kit! I'm probably going to call you in a couple of weeks for the Alky control meth kit. I'm still kicking it around, I have 55 gallons of meth in my garage I was using in my Buick.

I'm going to try the Hinson ceramic coated headers. The got me with the install video to be honest. They look like they fit very well. E-mail from them said 5-7 days before they ship.

Brian Tooley is going to have a blower cam ground for me. I'm deciding on heads now too, if it gets real cold here it will put the brakes on my install. I'm getting too old for the cold and my back can't handle too much anymore either.

I was going to ask about a clutch next. I think Tooleys car put down 880 hp with the same cam he's sending me. Pretty sure he has alky and TFS heads with his SC kit.

The MSD intake went back today.

Good call on the MSD, no need for that. For the clutch I would go with the Mantic 9000 for sure. Not to pressure you but there will be a price increase on those come the first of the year. Not much but less expensive is less expensive.

Brian is a great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable. He can certainly steer you right with a cam. Adding meth would be a no brainer IMO if you are also going to do a cam though. Octane will be needed.

Last edited by DOUG @ ECS; 12-24-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:56 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Taking extra time is always worth it in a build if you do not do these things daily. As they say measure twice cut once.
Truth.

I left the timing chain dampener off on mine during cam swap.. noticed it after I almost had the balancer on, oops

Was just working too fast
Old 12-24-2015, 03:25 PM
OhioC5
Drifting

Thanks for a of the info. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row. I stopped down at the shop that has my GN engine. We're in discussions about my 427, I'd like to at least have them put some forged pistons in my engine. I have all winter to gather parts, only good thing about winter I guess.

Side note, it's so nice today the wife and I are taking the Z to the family's for Christmas! Crazy Ohio weather!!
Old 12-30-2015, 10:39 AM
OhioC5
Drifting

Headers are on the way, got notification today.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:19 PM
OhioC5
Drifting

Small update:

The Hinson headers showed up today. They look very nice, packaged well, ceramic coating looks good too.

The Supercharger hasn't made it here yet, but I understand the holidays put everyone behind.

I'm waiting on my blower cam from BTR.

I still haven't decided which way to go on the heads.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:20 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I'm interested in hearing how those headers go on. Been looking at those or OBX
Old 01-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Hinson all day over OBX. OBX is crap.

Hinson makes good stuff. Just got a package from them today.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:25 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Some say they're both crap, some say OBX is just fine.. some say they suck.. seems to be hit or miss. I guess that's how it goes when they're 1/2 to 1/3 the price though. Was hoping to see more people posting about the Hinson ones. I know 5 liter eater ran OBX until he went TTix with no problem. Same for dude man

It's probably just hit or miss

Last edited by schpenxel; 01-05-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:27 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I think the people claiming how great they are haven't had them on for a year or two. I would have told you my OBX headers were fine too until once the collectors completely cracked off. If you don't mind replacing them every 2 years I guess they are ok. Saying they are great headers after 1-12 months of use doesn't mean much to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Another ECS kit on the way

Old 01-05-2016, 03:28 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Gotcha. Hinson ones haven't even been out that long I don't think but hopefully they hold up
Old 01-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Yep, but in general they make good parts and have history to back it up, while OBX have the history of falling apart.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:20 PM
OhioC5
Drifting

I didn't want to run headers to be honest. The wife and I took the car to the family's for x-mas eve and she commented on how she'd like the car to be louder. There's no way I was going to spend almost 2k for headers and cats. I guess that's one of the reasons I married her 12 years ago. Our first date she asked if I had a flowmaster exhaust on my car. Another time we were driving down the road a restaurant had an old car as a display. I said, what year and make is that? I pointed at the display car as we were driving by. She replied, "a 57 Chevy".

In both instances she was correct. Not bragging or anything but she's smoking hot, will have her masters degree in May and loves cars as much as I do. Well, that's my story, it went a little off the rails with regards to headers.

Anyway, the headers look like very good quality pieces. In the past I've had all kinds of headers on many different vehicles. I've installed expensive headers and cheap knock offs. These appear to be be put together nicely and don't have that "cheap" feel. I'll let you guys know how it goes with the install.

Quick Reply: Another ECS kit on the way