C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple 2.9L results

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:08 AM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBird440
Bryan over at LME says my long block is almost ready and im longing to put a hurt on some cheep talkin Hi&Qi guys
Is there more the one guy?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Privateeye007
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2.9 Whipple Heat Soak

Checking with any of you folks to see if you have run across any ways to reduce heat soak. I just recently upgraded my GS, but my numbers suck because of heat soak. I am really at a loss how to tackle this problem, the blower is just carrying too much heat. Thought about looking for a larger cooling tank for the blower or even removing my fog lights to let more air in since the tank is behind the passenger for light. I have been trying to locate a "vented" hood that will fit on top of the 2.9, and thoughts of drilling or cutting holes in my present hood to release some of the heat build up. Anyone got any ideas or have dealt with this issue? Thanks much
Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Is it engine coolant temps or intake air temps that you're concerned about?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:56 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Privateeye007
Checking with any of you folks to see if you have run across any ways to reduce heat soak. I just recently upgraded my GS, but my numbers suck because of heat soak. I am really at a loss how to tackle this problem, the blower is just carrying too much heat. Thought about looking for a larger cooling tank for the blower or even removing my fog lights to let more air in since the tank is behind the passenger for light. I have been trying to locate a "vented" hood that will fit on top of the 2.9, and thoughts of drilling or cutting holes in my present hood to release some of the heat build up. Anyone got any ideas or have dealt with this issue? Thanks much
I just did a larger HX tank from Moroso which required me to relocate the battery to the trunk, which I wanted to do anyhow. This seems to have dropped the cruising IATs down substantially, although they weren't really bad to begin with. It will also allow me to use ice in the HX system for racing. This is on a Heartbeat setup @ 12psi, and it seems to help, although I've not finished testing it yet. This would only be an option for you if your car is an A6, since the M6 GS' will have their oil tank already located in the battery box area.
A big problem with these cars is the sealed hood trapping all that heat in the engine bay, from hot air being pulled through the radiator and not having anywhere to exit except under the car. Obviously, that doesn't help aerodynamics and/or high speed handling either.
BTW: on that note, have you removed the rubber seal from the cool already? Apparently that helps somewhat.
I'm also looking into a vented hood myself right now and wanted something that is vented with a tall cowl/bulge, but have had no luck. I like the looks of the RK Sport Violator Z06 hood, but I seriously doubt that the two little vents that it has would help any to evacuate hot air, since they're actually pointing the wrong way. I don't like the looks of the World Challenge hoods, although they seem to work very well to drop under hood temps, but they all have a low profile and wouldn't fit over a whipple anyhow. So, I'm thinking of using something like the Trackspec side vents to vent hot air over the header areas. I'm sure a lot of folks will balk at the austere-looking pop riveted finish of those, but I'm fine with that, because they seem to function.
I don't know if a vented hood will help much with heatsoak though, as that's probably more of a function of heat radiating from the engine into the blower manifold. The heartbeat will heat soak too, when you park it, but from my own experience, once you start it up and drive off, the IATs drop back down to like +10* above ambient very quickly. Not so sure if the whipple, with its intercooler buried deep down in the manifold, does that as good as the Heartbeat with its two charge air coolers mounted inside the lid of the blower? I know that even after an hour long drive, I can park my car and get out, lift the hood and rest my hand completely on top of the blower lid and it seems to be only slightly hotter than ambient. I'm sure that if tried that 10 minutes later, though, I would probably get my hand toasted.
Good luck with your rig.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:00 AM
Privateeye007
Advanced

Default Temps

Well the temp. I am primarily concerned about is the Whipple Intercooler, but I am looking into getting the engine temp. down as well. My blower hood does not have enough opening to release the heat or get cooler air flow, so I am looking into putting some vents in it to start with, because I am somewhat restricted what type of hood I can use because of the height of the 2.9 Whipple. There does not seem to be any vendors producing C6 hoods that will allow the top mount Whipple under them or they have not tried to get one to fit. Unfortunately, not many C6's are Whipple equipped.

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Is it engine coolant temps or intake air temps that you're concerned about?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

A Dewitts radiator will cool things off remarkably well. If you're M6, you can get rid of the air/oil engine oil heat exchanger if you spec the Dewitts with the integral engine oil cooler. My GS that was equipped like that almost ran too cool. With a 160 stat, it would run under 180 at cruise and rarely over 200 even parked idling with the a/c blowing cold. That's in high 90's (TX) heat.

Mix in some aggressive fan settings in the tune and you'll go a long way to solving your heating issues.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:26 AM
Privateeye007
Advanced

I am interested in your setup. When my car was built, the battery was relocated to the trunk allowing the use of the liquid cooled 2.9 Whipple System. Actually the Intercooler reservoir (not sure of the make) looks like a pretty good size, but the location of the tank and Intercooler pump are hidden down behind the pass. side fog light. I was looking at removing the fog lights to permit more air flow since the front bumper fascia, by design, blocks air flow and getting some vents cut into the hood. I have just come across a Whipple Intercooler pump upgrade kit for trucks & SUV's, but maybe that bad boy would fit under there to replace my current pump, also it is only $245. Just throwing some ideas out there, short of running without a hood. lol
Old 07-28-2016, 08:32 AM
Privateeye007
Advanced

Thanks motorhead, I should explain, I have a Ls3, A6, with a DEWITTS DUAL CORE RADIATOR WITH DUAL SPAL FANS AND 160 DEGREE SLP THERMOSTAT and a CUSTOM LP SUPERCHARGER HOOD.

Originally Posted by old motorhead
A Dewitts radiator will cool things off remarkably well. If you're M6, you can get rid of the air/oil engine oil heat exchanger if you spec the Dewitts with the integral engine oil cooler. My GS that was equipped like that almost ran too cool. With a 160 stat, it would run under 180 at cruise and rarely over 200 even parked idling with the a/c blowing cold. That's in high 90's (TX) heat.

Mix in some aggressive fan settings in the tune and you'll go a long way to solving your heating issues.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:04 PM
BigBird440
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

just to clarify i love dewitts stuff dont have it yet... c6z and c7z both need dewitt treatment
and who was having heat issues? not me...

LME long block is ready to ship and BIG BOOST numbers on the way shortly
Old 07-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm excited to see what it makes on 16-18 psi
Old 07-29-2016, 01:11 PM
BigBird440
Racer

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
I'm excited to see what it makes on 16-18 psi
me too brother ill have her here after this weekend
i plan to try 12 15 18 psi....
Old 07-30-2016, 12:59 AM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Privateeye007
Well the temp. I am primarily concerned about is the Whipple Intercooler, but I am looking into getting the engine temp. down as well. My blower hood does not have enough opening to release the heat or get cooler air flow, so I am looking into putting some vents in it to start with, because I am somewhat restricted what type of hood I can use because of the height of the 2.9 Whipple. There does not seem to be any vendors producing C6 hoods that will allow the top mount Whipple under them or they have not tried to get one to fit. Unfortunately, not many C6's are Whipple equipped.
One way I combat High intake air temps post supercharger is 100% methonal injection using a dual nozzel ECS alky control kit. It also helps to have the added octane boost. While it doesnt have as big a cooling affect because im spraying it befor the blower it still helps to cool the IAT down. Another thing ive heard is that running E85 helps but I have no first hand experience with it. So it could be internet voodoo. And as mentioned earlier. Things like a bigger coolant tank with ice in it will help along with a higher volume pump. (Be careful just because a pump says it flows more doesnt mean it flows more when the head pressure of the piping and intercooler are applied.)
Old 07-30-2016, 01:15 AM
BigBird440
Racer

Originally Posted by BLWN427
One way I combat High intake air temps post supercharger is 100% methonal injection using a dual nozzel ECS alky control kit. It also helps to have the added octane boost. While it doesnt have as big a cooling affect because im spraying it befor the blower it still helps to cool the IAT down. Another thing ive heard is that running E85 helps but I have no first hand experience with it. So it could be internet voodoo. And as mentioned earlier. Things like a bigger coolant tank with ice in it will help along with a higher volume pump. (Be careful just because a pump says it flows more doesnt mean it flows more when the head pressure of the piping and intercooler are applied.)
SUPERCHILLER.....

i also us a single jet meth pre WHIPPLE

Last edited by BigBird440; 07-30-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:40 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Meth

I tried a dual nozzle meth kit pre blower, wanted the cooling effect,
Did not work,all it provided was a 50hp boost from octane, so I removed
it! I have a bigger pump, larger tank, and a larger HX with fans.
IAT fighter here !
Still trying
Old 07-31-2016, 07:38 PM
brian90505
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice, but would rather hear your engine than music! 👍
Old 08-01-2016, 10:58 AM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
I tried a dual nozzle meth kit pre blower, wanted the cooling effect,
Did not work,all it provided was a 50hp boost from octane, so I removed
it! I have a bigger pump, larger tank, and a larger HX with fans.
IAT fighter here !
Still trying
Wait, are you saying you ran a dual nozzle kit and it didn't help your IATs?
Old 08-02-2016, 06:41 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EX1
Wait, are you saying you ran a dual nozzle kit and it didn't help your IATs?
Yes,on my TVS 2300 , I guess it evaporated when it got compressed,
all it provided was octane.

Get notified of new replies

To Whipple 2.9L results

Old 08-02-2016, 01:22 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBird440
SUPERCHILLER.....

i also us a single jet meth pre WHIPPLE
That will probably be my next mod. Any details on it? Does the a/c in the car suffer when its on?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:38 PM
BigBird440
Racer

Default SHE is born!!

Im proud to say with the help of the doctors at LME im now the father of a beautiful Dart 10:1 427!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhQE...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by BigBird440; 08-04-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:40 PM
BigBird440
Racer

Originally Posted by BLWN427
That will probably be my next mod. Any details on it? Does the a/c in the car suffer when its on?
i dont have one yet brother but plan to treat both my Z cars to one

Quick Reply: Whipple 2.9L results