C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extra HP when adding Meth

Old 01-31-2016, 04:07 PM
genolan
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default extra HP when adding Meth

When you tune a car with Meth would the extra Horsepower gain come from a more aggressive tune knowing you have the safety factor of Meth or is the Meth Fuel itself giving the extra HP. What parameters are made more aggressive if the tune adds the HP
Old 01-31-2016, 04:25 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Timing is added. Fuel can be leaned out as meth will replace some of it (or can just let it be rich, tons of ways to do it)
Old 01-31-2016, 05:17 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have a good kit that's reliable you can lean it out to get the maximum power from the kit. I hear stock manifolds suck *** with distribution but if you do direct port it's the way to go. Not to mention some good kits have fail safe that pulls timing. You can buy something like this and tie into your kit. I'm sure the vendors on here sell it.

Last edited by C6 Curtis; 01-31-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:26 PM
mourat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My setup I have it lean out fuel & add timing ONLY when meth pressurizes. If Meth pressure is gone the tune reverts back to NO METH fueling and timing Had that for years works like a charm.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:35 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mourat
My setup I have it lean out fuel & add timing ONLY when meth pressurizes. If Meth pressure is gone the tune reverts back to NO METH fueling and timing Had that for years works like a charm.
What kit did you go with?

-Curtis
Old 01-31-2016, 10:05 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Curious how you're changing fueling? Stock ECM or no?

Or were you the one that used the DSX box to change timing/fueling when the meth light goes green?

I have done something similar on mine, though it ramps in instead of being all at once

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-01-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:26 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

also would like to hear more.

there is data/threads on here about fuel distribution and Vengeance as well as ECS I believe, who build some of the fastest cars in the country, both recommended when I spoke to them to stick with only dual M10 tips at the max because they were seeing huge EGT differences between cylinders, but they're also talking about race cars that see WOT for extended times
Old 02-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

He uses the DSX flex time box so it runs the flex fuel maps when meth is on. Awesome setup that just about everyone should be doing, but sadly most people don't even know it exist.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:25 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Gotcha. Yeah that's the way to do it for sure. It works great on mine.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:30 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

that is fascinating, i did not even know that is possible
Old 02-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Gotcha. Yeah that's the way to do it for sure. It works great on mine.
Should have made kits like I said
Old 02-02-2016, 02:00 PM
mourat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
He uses the DSX flex time box so it runs the flex fuel maps when meth is on. Awesome setup that just about everyone should be doing, but sadly most people don't even know it exist.
Yup and but running it for years!

The other day I went to the dyno I forgot to turn meth on and ran got huge numbers and was impressed until I saw meth was on LOL.

Essentially when Dave first came out with his FLEX module I thought why not use his big brain device with meth? So of course I did not care much for meth back then until I saw what Dave created and ordered up a kit. Installed it all, wired up Dave's flex module to the Alky Control like this:

Meth = ON means nothing
Meth = ON + Pressure established (green light on Alky control is on) = Flex module commands 100% ethanol to the PCM. Then the PCM adds timing and backs out fuel.

The minute METH = No pressure (pump failure etc..) then the Flex module shows (0% ethanol) and the PCM goes to default timing and default fuel.

Keep in mind that the module works so fast that it's back to stock timing and fuel before the motor sees the last drop of methanol. In the event meth is working just not well enough to establish proper pressure, the flex kit will still default to stock fueling to prevent undesirable results

The Meth = ON + Pressure established only adds timing and removes fuel where you want to, so if you press the "test" button on the alky kit that does nothing to normal driving. Only after about 3k RPM and 3 psi boost where we run into real power.

I have done a write up on this board many years ago if you search on how to get this done. Dave should be praised for creating this thing and everyone should be using it if they want their engines safe while not leaving power behind.

There is other ways of doing this but it's more complicating and harder with more boost that I've done on a few older LS1 cars but same idea. The flex module is 10x easier and proper. I am sure Dave can still make some I don't know if he still does.

Last edited by mourat; 02-02-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:34 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Dude_man
Should have made kits like I said
Still may. Got two people trying them out now to see how they do

You gotta give me a price on the wiring harnesses you sent me!
Old 02-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Text me quantities, and ill see what I can do
Old 02-02-2016, 03:35 PM
BigV
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone recommend a performance shop that have experience with installation and tuning of alky control? I am most interested using 100% Meth configuration. I have A&A Si supercharger installed on a C6 Z06.

Looking for highly experienced shops located in the Midwest area.

Last edited by BigV; 02-02-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:58 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,255 Likes on 1,182 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I'd be interested in a kit if someone made it. Quick question on the setup, if you pulled the fuse for the Alky pump, I'm assuming it would just run on the normal tables? This would be really nice for going on long trips where you don't want to take meth along.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:07 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Evan70
I'd be interested in a kit if someone made it. Quick question on the setup, if you pulled the fuse for the Alky pump, I'm assuming it would just run on the normal tables? This would be really nice for going on long trips where you don't want to take meth along.
The amount of timing added/fuel pulled would be totally dependent on methanol system pressure. You can set it up so at 0psi it's at say 10* of timing @ WOT, and when it's at 100psi methanol line pressure it goes to 15* of timing or whatever you want it to be. 50psi it would be 12.5* (you can adjust it so this isn't totally linear but there are limits to how precise you can make it)

Same for fuel.. you can change either the stoich value for fuel to make it run rich @ 0psi and say 7% leaner @ 100psi or you can leave it rich all the time.. totally adjustable.

Obviously you have to have HP Tuners and know what you're doing tune wise to make it work.

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-02-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To extra HP when adding Meth

Old 02-02-2016, 04:35 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

whoever sells a good kit for this will make a bundle, lot of cars starting to run the various methanol kits out there and IAT sensors just don't react fast enough for worst case and tuning for meth is still not as precise as it could be from what i can tell,. works fine but more control would be valuable
Old 02-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by neverstop
whoever sells a good kit for this will make a bundle, lot of cars starting to run the various methanol kits out there and IAT sensors just don't react fast enough for worst case and tuning for meth is still not as precise as it could be from what i can tell,. works fine but more control would be valuable
That's what I've been telling him. He's like the rain man of meth and Hptuners.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:41 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

I can do a large run if people want them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: extra HP when adding Meth