C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchargers: Durability

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:13 AM
junkboyjude
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Superchargers: Durability

Have an extremely clean C6 Ls-2 3LT Base with 35K miles and the A6 paddle shift transmission. Just installed: Lingenfelter Air Intake, LG Motorsports Super Pro Long Tube Headers, Catalytic Converter out, (O2 sensors switched off with the tune) Corsa Extreme Exhaust. I know I'm asking for it but: OPINIONS ON THE BEST SUPERCHARGER SYSTEM FOR THIS SET UP Also how will it effect the durability and the life of my engine. Is it worth doing ? I want to keep the car FOREVER !! It's my first corvette and I am in love.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2016, 07:00 AM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by junkboyjude
Have an extremely clean C6 Ls-2 3LT Base with 35K miles and the A6 paddle shift transmission. Just installed: Lingenfelter Air Intake, LG Motorsports Super Pro Long Tube Headers, Catalytic Converter out, (O2 sensors switched off with the tune) Corsa Extreme Exhaust. I know I'm asking for it but: OPINIONS ON THE BEST SUPERCHARGER SYSTEM FOR THIS SET UP Also how will it effect the durability and the life of my engine. Is it worth doing ? I want to keep the car FOREVER !! It's my first corvette and I am in love.
Thanks in advance
Best is a function of power goals, intended use, budget and ultimately opinion. If you give folks the first three bits of info, they can help you based on their experience.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:03 AM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks in advance
Plain and simply YES. Whichever way you decide to go. If someone does it for you about 6 to 10 grand but the extra hp was worth it to me 2008 3lt base . about 100 to 120rwhp with roots blower.

Last edited by scottg; 02-05-2016 at 07:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
junkboyjude (02-07-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 02:57 AM
junkboyjude
Intermediate

Default Okay

Originally Posted by jashmore1234
Best is a function of power goals, intended use, budget and ultimately opinion. If you give folks the first three bits of info, they can help you based on their experience.

POWER GOALS: not really sure how to answer that as I have never driven a car that is as powerful as it is now with just the headers, X-pipe, exhaust and air intake but I love the feel of the acceleration. So it's not like I have a particular HP rating in mind.
INTENDED USE: just cruising around driving two maybe 3 times a week. I work out of the country 35 days on 35 days off, so it gets plenty of rest. Defo not a daily driver.
BUDGET: Money is no matter to me. You can't take it with you and I make enough to basically do what I want with the car and won't suffer anywhere else. So money. Not an issue.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:20 AM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

POWER GOALS: not really sure how to answer that as I have never driven a car that is as powerful as it is now with just the headers, X-pipe, exhaust and air intake but I love the feel of the acceleration. So it's not like I have a particular HP rating in mind.
INTENDED USE: just cruising around driving two maybe 3 times a week. I work out of the country 35 days on 35 days off, so it gets plenty of rest. Defo not a daily driver.
BUDGET: Money is no matter to me. You can't take it with you and I make enough to basically do what I want with the car and won't suffer anywhere else. So money. Not an issue.
If you like acceleration, go big if it is a toy and money is no object. Heads, Cam, 11-15lbs boost and supporting mods to aid in engine, transmission and rear end reliability.

Best bet is to find a reputable speed shop tell them you want to go fast. Sounds like you are looking at $15K-$25K+ (blower, heads, cam, rims and tires, stall converter, supporting mods) to build power and put that power to the ground. If you have the time and skills to do it yourself, you can save money on labor.
junkboyjude (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 09:35 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

"best" is very relative..

Most peak power.. centri kits are going to win (ECS/A&A are the most common two around here). A basic ECS kit on a car with headers will break 600rwhp no problem, and is capable of closer to 800 with a cam swap and supporting mods (fuel system + meth injection).

More low end torque.. the magnacharger heartbeat system has had good results, BUT it is only for LS3 heads, so you'd have to swap to LS3 heads

I have 30K on my ECS setup so far. It's still going strong
junkboyjude (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 09:52 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

from what you telling us, i think Eforce will be plenty! No need to swap heads, centri will simply make too much power for you, if you already feels crazy powerful with a LS2 and few bolts on! You will be scared as hell even with a Eforce and gives more low end grunt than centri supposely! I had tvs 2300(zr1) and now centri. love both, but for someone who likes doing pulls, room for upgrades, and nasty sounds, then centris is the way to go! But if you're looking at ride around smoothly and just few quick blast acceleration without really doing long pulls, Eforce is perfect for you. Better yet, the heartbeat, but it involve much more mods and will be much more costly for not that much. Unless you want to go crazy on power level down the road! But then again i would stick with centri's for making real power.
junkboyjude (02-07-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 10:05 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,665 Likes on 1,697 Posts

You need to do your own due diligence and decide which system is best for what you want. You have some good information already in this thread. Based on what I've seen, positive displacement superchargers tend to last longer than centri's before needing a rebuild. I know of many Magnachargers in particular that have gone over 100k miles without an issue. I'm currently at 12 years and over 70k miles on the MP112 on my Avalanche and it hasn't been touched since installed, except to pulley it down twice. If I was going to add a supercharger to my Vette, which I am not, my choice would be the Heartbeat. As indicated, they don't make it for the LS2.
junkboyjude (02-07-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 05:33 PM
VetteAwe
Instructor

I am at 7 years and 80,000 supercharged miles on my Si trim A & A kit. 8 pounds of boost and still running strong. Installed and tuned at A & A. One belt change and replacement of harmonic balancer over that period. The A & A kit looks good, is durable and puts out great power and big smiles mile after mile. Customer service is also first rate.
junkboyjude (02-07-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 06:58 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

I think any of the name brand kits will do very well if you keep them conservative and tuned to 550whp or lower. I know guys with A&A kits with >35k trouble free HARD miles including lots of track events, and I've seen guys with Eforce setups last >25k miles as well. There is even a guy on ls1tech who turbocharged his towing rig truck and I think got 100k miles out of the whole thing without much of anything.

I think the #1 factor is the quality of the install and shop that does the tuning. Just take it to a shop that does lots of supercharged corvette installs, I'd say at least 8 in the last year at a minimum. Tell them to tune it conservatively and keep the power level not much above 500whp and it should basically run like stock imo
junkboyjude (02-07-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I agree 100%.. keep it in the 550rwhp or less range and your chances of it being totally trouble free are quite high..
junkboyjude (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 01:21 AM
junkboyjude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VetteAwe
I am at 7 years and 80,000 supercharged miles on my Si trim A & A kit. 8 pounds of boost and still running strong. Installed and tuned at A & A. One belt change and replacement of harmonic balancer over that period. The A & A kit looks good, is durable and puts out great power and big smiles mile after mile. Customer service is also first rate.
That's exactly what the guy at my local shop has told me and that's the only brand they will install is the A & A kit. I didn't want to say any brand in the original post so as not to put it in anyone's mind before they responded. Thanks for your reply. Thanks to all who have taken the time out to help me.
Jude
Old 02-07-2016, 02:35 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Vettes R Us
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by winters97gt
There has to be one in the crowd!