C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes a blower to let go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:26 AM
brodyscorvette
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What causes a blower to let go?

I have an ECS kit with a 2200SL blower, car also has an A&A direct drive. I had some belt slip issues with the 4-rib so in the end of January I swapped to the new Gates RPM series 4-rib belt (K040476RPM), new "Professional Series" AC Delco 4 rib tensioner and a new fleetrunner 8 rib.

At that time I also changed the oil in the blower, the oil that came out looked great. Which is to be expected because there is 4K miles on this kit and this is the second time I've changed the oil. Checking the dipstick often and adding oil I used just about an entire bottle when I refilled the blower.

I put about 150 miles on the car with about 6 or 7 WOT 3rd and 4th gear runs, all seemed well. No belt residue anywhere and no slip from the 4 rib. Then yesterday while cruising to work at 65mph I hear an abnormal faint whine. Within 2 seconds the whine has gotten MUCH louder and the car is slowing down. Clutch in and the engine dies immediately.

So I pulled the blower off the car last night and sure enough it is trashed. I checked the oil before I pulled it and it is still full, looks clean and bright red (no metal flakes). The impeller and housing look fine. But I can barely turn the pulley by hand and there is a pretty good crunch sound as I spin it.

I can see this happening under extreme load, and certainly if the unit is ran low on oil or no oil. But what causes it in this case?

I believe I'm not even overspinning the blower...
8" lower
3.33" blower pulley
3.6 step up ratio
6800 RPM is all we took it to on the dyno (Pat G)

That is still under the 60K limit..
Old 02-12-2016, 07:00 AM
brodyscorvette
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody at ECS has seen this before with other Paxton units?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 AM
D&C vette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Give Doug or Chris a call (609) 752-0321.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:34 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Any bearing can fail at any time. Contact ECS and see if they can help or if needed Paxton.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Dealripper
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2200 Sl

Originally Posted by brodyscorvette
I have an ECS kit with a 2200SL blower, car also has an A&A direct drive. I had some belt slip issues with the 4-rib so in the end of January I swapped to the new Gates RPM series 4-rib belt (K040476RPM), new "Professional Series" AC Delco 4 rib tensioner and a new fleetrunner 8 rib.

At that time I also changed the oil in the blower, the oil that came out looked great. Which is to be expected because there is 4K miles on this kit and this is the second time I've changed the oil. Checking the dipstick often and adding oil I used just about an entire bottle when I refilled the blower.

I put about 150 miles on the car with about 6 or 7 WOT 3rd and 4th gear runs, all seemed well. No belt residue anywhere and no slip from the 4 rib. Then yesterday while cruising to work at 65mph I hear an abnormal faint whine. Within 2 seconds the whine has gotten MUCH louder and the car is slowing down. Clutch in and the engine dies immediately.

So I pulled the blower off the car last night and sure enough it is trashed. I checked the oil before I pulled it and it is still full, looks clean and bright red (no metal flakes). The impeller and housing look fine. But I can barely turn the pulley by hand and there is a pretty good crunch sound as I spin it.

I can see this happening under extreme load, and certainly if the unit is ran low on oil or no oil. But what causes it in this case?

I believe I'm not even overspinning the blower...
8" lower
3.33" blower pulley
3.6 step up ratio
6800 RPM is all we took it to on the dyno (Pat G)

That is still under the 60K limit..
My car has a 2200 Sl. It is at ECS. I had quite a few miles on mine, but bearings can go bad. Mine was sent out to Paxton for a rebuild. It is ready to be picked up now. I run an 8 rib setup on mine also. Doug or Chris will get you back on track😃

Get notified of new replies

To What causes a blower to let go?

Quick Reply: What causes a blower to let go?