C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discussion: Halltech vs Holley vs Pro EFI vs stock ECM

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Discussion: Halltech vs Holley vs Pro EFI vs stock ECM

I've seen this debated 1000 times. I know one brand fits certain cars better than another. What fits a boosted C6 better and why? As far as better tuning and traction control.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

This definitely has been debated a lot. I almost pulled the trigger and am very tempted by PROEFI, even more so with the recent price reductions. The only thing stopping me is I am not sure how well it will work out with the 6L80, which needs torque calcs to work properly.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Slo-Poc
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Pro efi seems to be the way to go, D3 has done multiple cars with that unit and seems to have worked any bugs out. I would like to ride in a corvette that's running proefi to see if it's as seemless as it seems. A few of our friends supras run it flawlessly but I just can figure out how well these traction control units work. I'll be buying one with this final build for sure.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:01 AM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by usmcpony
I've seen this debated 1000 times. I know one brand fits certain cars better than another. What fits a boosted C6 better and why? As far as better tuning and traction control.
I don't have any personal experience with the other systems other than stock ECU but from what I have seen ProEFI is better for tuning and much better for traction control. A lot of the people I see that dislike ProEFI tried to have someone who is inexperienced with the system tune it for them. I am far from a tuner and have never looked at any other tuning software before ProEFI but it all makes sense to me. I can easily go into the computer and make some little changes if I need to. Although I stay far away from the actual fueling and timing and all that stuff. I can change the mph my nitrous comes in at and multiple other things like that. That is part of why I think ProEFI is one of if not the best system for any car. It works great and it isn't very difficult to deal with. A lot of that is because of who I had set mine up though. In my opinion D3PE is the best in the business when it comes to ProEFI. I would not take the car anywhere else.

Originally Posted by realcanuk
This definitely has been debated a lot. I almost pulled the trigger and am very tempted by PROEFI, even more so with the recent price reductions. The only thing stopping me is I am not sure how well it will work out with the 6L80, which needs torque calcs to work properly.
I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make it work. I have ridden in a ctsv with a Pro112 on it and it drove just as good as a stock ecu ctsv and the shifts seemed safer for the transmission on ProEFI.

Originally Posted by Slo-Poc
Pro efi seems to be the way to go, D3 has done multiple cars with that unit and seems to have worked any bugs out. I would like to ride in a corvette that's running proefi to see if it's as seemless as it seems. A few of our friends supras run it flawlessly but I just can figure out how well these traction control units work. I'll be buying one with this final build for sure.
My car has a few little bugs that had to be worked out but I believe I was the first ZR1 with ProEFI so I can understand some little issues. Most of the issues have not been because of ProEFI, they have been because I had the wrong parts and things like that. D3PE has been great about resolving them and making the car the best it can be. I recently got it back home and I have some pretty terrible roads around me because I live in the middle of no where. The traction control has been pretty awesome to play with and watch it do its magic. I use to WOT shift the car when I had the stock ecu and if I didn't have perfect traction after the shift it would instantly break loose and get very sideways very quickly. The other day I did a quick 60-130mph hit with a hard WOT shift on a crappy road and I could tell it was pulling some power in 2nd but I didn't feel anything in 3rd and it just pulled smoothly and stayed perfectly straight. I looked at the log later and realized it actually stopped that very sketchy kick out that use to happen on the stock ECU. And you can see that in this screenshot of the log. You can see the rear wheel speed (dark red line) gets too far away from the front wheel speed (pink line) and ProEFI uses traction control to pull timing to get it back into the allowed amount of slip. The lower light blue line is the traction control pulling timing and the top line that is pretty flat is the throttle position sensor to show I never let out at all. If I did that without ProEFI I would have probably had to pull the car out of a ditch.

Last edited by SquirrelyNutz; 04-06-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:48 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Well I was typing my thoughts on Pro EFI since it and the stock ECU are all I've used on my Vette when the power went out lol. Now I was saying I did the complete install myself with the help of my friend Gary and we did a great job everything worked as it was intended. BUT I will say I won't say that this is a DIY type of install IMO I did it, but believe my skills to be better than the average DIY guys I've seen posting on most of the boards. This is not me saying you can't do it, because you probably can. But you will hate yourself at the end of the day. The lack of information about the pin outs and what they do, or can do is not always listed and they have changed as the progression of there system. So I will second Squirrrlynuts and say that without D3 mainly Chris to text and call for information during installation it would have been a total cluster LOL! But now that it is in and set up and working, its great. Chris has been great with setting everything up the way I wanted and got everything to work like its supposed to. So I'm going to it is better than my stock ECU but it worked fine too! Its a great thing to install to protect your investment although it won't prevent everything, its about as good as you could ever get when making a lot of power say 1200+rwhp. And again Chris at D3 is super smart at figuring out how to take full advantage of all the features of the system as well. Brett-BlownblueZo6 uses the Halltech elite, and says it offers all of the same things, and seems to like it a lot although he's had motor issues and building a building etc... that have kept him from doing any extensive testing of it, but you might PM him to get his opinion. But currently I'm giving the Pro EFI the only one that seems to offer everything in one package. Holley doesn't offer TC in its current form although you can use some others with it. Although there installation and pin out diagrams are fantastic and easy for all to understand. Not sure what the Holley guys are doing for all the body control integration. GL! I know ppl are using the Holley might have to PM some to see what they have done.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:28 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by SquirrelyNutz

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make it work. I have ridden in a ctsv with a Pro112 on it and it drove just as good as a stock ecu ctsv and the shifts seemed safer for the transmission on ProEFI.
I discussed briefly with DPE and I know they have done it on a CTSV, but never on a 6L80 vette. I don't doubt it can be done. My only problem is its not an option for me to send my car there, and I really don't like the idea of putting myself at the mercy of long distance help with a busy shop for support like that. It doesn't take much to fry the trans so I am not excited about experimenting.

I also wanted to compare and discuss the Haltech but gave up trying to get in touch with the vendor, after an email, a FB message, and calls going to an answering machine that was full.

Last edited by realcanuk; 04-06-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:10 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Pro EFI is no doubt a bad *** system, but the problem is that the software is not very user friendly and there are VERY few people that are proficient in tuning it. With that said, I would vote for Holley or Halltech and lean towards Holley just because of how user friendly it is.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:20 AM
foxspy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the AEM Infinity setup? I've heard good things about that as well...
Old 04-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by foxspy
What about the AEM Infinity setup? I've heard good things about that as well...
Working on a car now with that system, it should be ready shortly. i think Im personally going with a holley system, frans seems to like them.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:32 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Holley - I would do the Holley in a heartbeat if it had some sort of traction control built in. You need to add a Davis box to it for that to work though which is another $3k+.

Halltech - Meh

Proefi - No thanks. The interface is so convoluted it's mind boggling. The traction control seems unmatched though.

I'm just not sure it's worth the hassle for me, especially being that no one makes a PNP harness for my E40 PCM just to gain a racing type traction control and closed loop fueling.

MS3Pro - Price point is desirable and seems to be feature rich including traction control. They make a 24x harness but it doesn't have FBW TB (yet) and it's only stand alone so would need a racepack or the like for gauges. But I supposed all of the above are like that without running lots of stuff in parallel with the stock ECU.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Ls240sx
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I sold my Proefi to do something with a better interface. Yes it works great..

I wish I could me MS3 Pro work with the stock stuff.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:45 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Seems like you would "just" have to do it the same way it works with ProEFI (albeit manually, wire by wire), allow the stock PCM to see what it needs to work gauges and pass emissions and control the TB and then wire the MS3 in parallel to some of the same sensors/etc. and directly to coils/injectors/etc. Maybe ignorance speaking.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 04-06-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Ls240sx
Pro

I suppose that is true..
Old 04-06-2016, 03:48 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I mean it's no small feat. Just saying it should technically be possible. And I know the pinouts and schematics are well documented with Holley and MS.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 04-06-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Seems like you would "just" have to do it the same way it works with ProEFI (albeit manually, wire by wire), allow the stock PCM to see what it needs to work gauges and pass emissions and control the TB and then wire the MS3 in parallel to some of the same sensors/etc. and directly to coils/injectors/etc. Maybe ignorance speaking.
Thats what Ill be doing with the holley, stupid 05s and their limit on boost
Old 04-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Ls240sx
Pro

no dbw support on ms3 gold box... I remember now...
Old 04-06-2016, 05:26 PM
0KP Racing
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We at KPracing have our own version of AEM infinty harnesses, and have very good luck with Aem, I have little experience with PRO-efi, but I know there are a lot who choose it and are happy. We have a few cars Kelly Bises 240 standing mile corvette, Kelly Bises, 187 mph 1/2 mile 6L80 Gran sport corvette, 2 ZR1s, 1 holding the standing mile ZR1 record of 221 mph, and several vipers with the AEM infinity. Bottom line is find someone you are comfortable with, and has good reviews. We have some cars running with the stock DBW, and some with AEM running DBW.

Last edited by KP Racing; 04-06-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Discussion: Halltech vs Holley vs Pro EFI vs stock ECM

Old 04-06-2016, 05:27 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

my vote goes to PROEFI, if you have a tuner for it! Awesome stand alone, loved it in the supra! I wouldn't touch AEM, was junk, is junk and will be junk, infinity included! But so far, stock PCM is awesome, my setup is nowhere near requiring a management like proefi!

Last edited by timmyZ06; 04-06-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:33 PM
0KP Racing
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol as they opinions
Old 04-06-2016, 05:39 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by KP Racing
lol as they opinions
Humm not opinions, past experience! Oh yeah it could runs great, i could also win the lotto! Its all in the odds!

Quick Reply: Discussion: Halltech vs Holley vs Pro EFI vs stock ECM