C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My rear mount turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 03:34 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So a friend had a Forced Inductions billet V3 76mm I opted for instead. I also moved the BOV as it was messing with the MAF and made the MAF pipe 4" just to make sure I would be okay for my future goals.

This turbo made 4psi 1400rpms sooner then the 85mm. The turbine wheel is wayyyyy smaller plus the 85 had and open 1.50 housing and this one has a split 1.32. And the obvious smaller compressor wheel. After we got the tune smooth on 4psi I put a boost controller on it and made 10psi. We ended up at 668whp@10psi on a soft pump gas tune. I believe torque was 650. I'll have to look again and see.

Hoping one night this week I can finally finish the hanger brackets and start driving this thing. Videos soon!
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2016, 03:37 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

My phone won't let me share multiple pics in the same post
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2016, 03:38 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

My phone won't let me share multiple pics in the same post...
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2016, 04:06 PM
nenji01
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome results 👍🏼
Old 05-08-2016, 08:33 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice choice their 76mm are pretty good.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:59 AM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Hit a bump in the road. The car would randomly run like crap on the the street and fuel trims would go crazy adding fuel. Friday it cut off at a stop sign and I had to wait for traffic to clear so I could roll back into a parking spot. I sat for a few and it cranked up and ran fine and took it back to the shop. I haven't driven it much at all due to the issues and having no time to figure it out. I finally put a fuel pressure gauge on it and noticed it was only at 45psi. I let it sit over night and Saturday morning I cranked it up and only had 35psi. So my 8 month old Z06 pump is bad.

With that being said I dropped the tank and did the usual fight to get the damn C6 canister out. I'm going to install an Aeromotive Stealth in it now and hopefully be done with that for a while. I dropped the trans assembly too and I'm putting my stock driveshaft back in because the vibrations caused by the full solid driveshaft really annoys me. It's only got 20k miles on it so I'll take my chances with the OEM guibos for a while. I already have one race car with hood exit exhaust and all that jazz, so I'm good on not making my Vette too uncomfortable

I also just picked up a C6 Z06 rear diff assembly so I'll be installing that along with C5Z axles. I'm switching to a Derale external trans cooler too with fan to help keep temps down with the trans.

We have a Street Car Takeover event June 24th so hoping the car is ready to go then, if not sooner. My biggest issue will be my lack of time as always.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Ls240sx
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont know what your fuel system consists of or consisted of but I had similar experiences with a customer car where the BAP was going in and out.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:17 AM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Mine was just a Racetronix rewire kit. I haven't added a BAP yet. I bypassed it, hoping it was an overheating relay, and it didn't change anything.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:20 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

I had my 450 do that recently after 2200 miles(over a year and a half). It sit a few times with e85 in it so that could be the cause.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:35 PM
Ultrasport05
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude_man
I had my 450 do that recently after 2200 miles(over a year and a half). It sit a few times with e85 in it so that could be the cause.
Dude, did you figure out why the pump acted up? Im about to install a 450 and would like to avoid those issues.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:18 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Went with a fuel cell.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:36 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

I got the car running again yesterday, FINALLY!

I was only able to go for about a 5 mile drive before I had to get back so I could head home and pack. I made it count though and flogged on it a good bit. I still have the street tires in the back but it was spinning/getting squirrely at 100mph, so that was nice haha. The zO6 gear really woke the car up too. Hopefully it works out for me at the track. It had the 2.56 rear end in it.

The external trans cooler is REALLY helping keep the trans temps down. I ended up putting it behind the front bumper on the passenger side so it gets fed from the OEM brake duct hole.

Putting the OEM driveshaft back in seems to have have fixed the vibrations with lockup below 1200 rpms.

I picked up some black on black base fitment Weld RTS's from another forum member the other day. They came with front tires but I have to get my rear tires switched off my 17" ZO6 replica wheels. They're a 295/45/17 MT ET Street.

Now I'm out of town on business till Sunday so hopefully when I get back the weather is good and I can beat on the car some more.
Attached Images    
Old 06-15-2016, 01:55 AM
The_Nigel
Instructor

So since I came back in town Sunday I've put well over 100 miles on the car. I love being able to drive it again. I really need to figure out a muffler system though as the 5" turn down has some drone (imagine that lol). It's been a blast and the car has been doing great.

I haven't had time to get my radials mounted on my Welds.

I put the BOV back on it and mounted it right before the TB since he car is now tuned on speed density. I left the MAF on it to retain the AIT sensor function of the maf. The car idles and drives great. You can also see in the BOV pic the shield we made to help keep air around the FMIC/radiator/condensor. I didn't really drive the car since it's been turbo before so I can't directly compare but I can say in almost 100 degree weather it hardly gets over 200 degrees coolant temp wise unless I'm beating on it, and even then it doesn't get over 210. The trans is staying way cooler too with the external cooler.

I put it back on the dyno to touch things up for the new Stealth pump. It went great. You can see it's a little lazy. In hind site I believe a 2.5" feed may have been more ideal but the large turbine wheel of this Forced Inductions 76mm doesn't help. I'm sure with a cam and E85 it would spools a good bit quicker, but it has to work for now. I'm not too concerned though with the car being an auto but if it causes me issues at the track I'll just do a T4 based PTE 76mm. I pulled it out till I saw power taper off with the stock cam. This is on 10psi, pump 93 and the converter locked in 4th. I'm glad to see impressive dyno numbers but I'm more concerned with the ET at the track.

All I have left is to wire the 2 step in, mount radials on Welds, and build a catch can and it's race ready.

I also included a pic I took the other day when I went by and saw my parents.
Attached Images    

Last edited by The_Nigel; 06-15-2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

I went 2.5 on hot and cold side. At 11 psi on my s480/93 I was able to have mine spool about 1000 rpms sooner than yours with a manual. (10.0 afr on e85 and I believe 14* timing 738/708)
Old 06-17-2016, 12:59 AM
The_Nigel
Instructor

After some flogging on the back roads I've noticed it doesn't drop boost between shifts so as long as it leaves decent I should be okay.

I got the MSD 2 step wired up tonight. I had to wire it up on a push button switch since the brake pedal didn't work like I was hoping. I just used an old nitrous switch to activate the ground. It's something I can easily tuck away while driving.

I also got my radials mounted on my rear Welds. Absolutely love how they look on the car and thanks to the fronts being Hoosier street tires it drives great on the street too.
Attached Images    
Old 06-17-2016, 06:58 AM
Tipot
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

awesome build !! car looks great with the new wheels

im patiently waiting for my weld setup

best of luck with the new setup
Old 06-17-2016, 08:17 AM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Thanks!

Was ready to go this morning and booked a Saturday spot for WannaGOFAST September 17th:

http://wannagofast.com/clayton.php

It sold out a few minutes later so good thing I was on stand by.

Get notified of new replies

To My rear mount turbo setup

Old 06-17-2016, 08:36 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I got me a ticket too
Old 06-17-2016, 03:35 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

This will be my first half mile so I'm excited. My old drag car went 162 in the 1/4 losing a gear but i never trusted it stability wise to run the 1/2. Nor did i think the Trans would handle the heat well. No idea what to expect out of the Vette but after streetcar takeover I'll have an idea
Old 06-17-2016, 03:40 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Are you going both days or just one? I'm just doing Sunday this time. Saturday was stupid crowded last time. Waiting in line for hours wasn't much fun.

I'm surprised yours isn't spooling sooner but I'd bet it'll do pretty good still.

Quick Reply: My rear mount turbo setup