C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My rear mount turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 04:56 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just Saturday. I always hate Sunday events but if this one sucks on Saturday I'll go on Sunday for now own. I guess a positive to waiting hours to run is it gives my 6l80 time to cool lol.

I've done boost leak checks and everything is perfect. Thankfully once it's going it keeps going and I'm hoping the lazier low end will help with traction at the track since I won't hit the tire so hard. I figure once I do a cam it'll help some and I hope to do that before WannaGOFAST. But I enjoy driving the car so much that I really don't want to take it apart again anytime soon haha.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:53 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

I've put a couple hundred miles on the car this week. Everything from stop and go to crusing at 80+ on the highway (which is over 2k with this z06 differential) for an extended period of time. The car hasn't skipped a beat and when I get an open place to romp on it I take advantage of it. The Trans cooler is keeping the temps down and even after a few pulls back to back the coolant temp doesn't get much over 205 or so (I was worried with the intercooler basically blocking the radiator. I haven't had any smoking issues either so I think this turbo draining to a reservoir and the scavenge pump pulling off of it is really helping. It's been a long time since I've had a fun street car with decent power and amenities like PS and AC. I just really have to do something about how loud it is. I'll concentrate more on that after street car take over.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Garmans12valve
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you take an in cab video?
Old 07-10-2016, 03:57 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

UPDATE!

Made a separate thread about the track outing and didn't update this one.

The car is lazy out of hole so the converter probably needs to be adjusted but the back half makes me happy as it shows the cars potential. Also the car runs out of 4th right as I cross traps so I need to turn it higher, but I know the cam isn't carrying power any further. Car leaves on 0 boost and only makes 2psi at the top of first. With that said I'm
Gonna wrap the exhaust and have a turbo cam I'm going to install. Probably do meth too if I have time.

This is on straight pump 93 and driving to the track. Tire is a MT ET Street. Overall the car ran 4 10 second passes all around the same MPH. I've put a few hundred miles on it since then too. I'm loving this thing.
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Seems pretty damn fast for a car that doesn't even have a cam. I bet it picks up a ton after you install something a little more aggressive
Old 07-11-2016, 10:02 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

I always thought rear mounted set ups were so cool and sound awesome!! Great set up! Congrats
Old 07-11-2016, 10:21 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

The car sounds wicked on video from behind due to the turbo being so loud but during normal driving it's super droney so that's annoying. I have an idea for a muffler system but it'll be a while before I'm about to do it I'm sure.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:45 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Finished the cam install up. BTR STG 2 turbo cam with his springs and pushrods. This is idling around 700rpms. Still have to order a few meth kit components then I'll get that on and back on the Dyno it'll go.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:02 PM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

That cam sounds pretty good.
I was thinking of using the same one so update
Me on how you like it..
Old 07-15-2016, 02:36 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

I will def do so. I'm curious how it'll spool compared to before. I plan to wrap my exhaust as well and put a turbo blanket on so I would love to see atleast 500 rpms sooner between that and the cam and for the car to actually make some boost in 1st gear at the track. I'm going to work on the foot brake portion of the tune too to see if it'll get up on the converter better.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:03 PM
WidowMaker_13
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build! Car sounds good as well.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:07 AM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Got the cam in the car and meth installed and retuned it. Boost is 12psi falling to 10.5. The air temp dropped 35 degrees or so. The car holds out power good considering the boost stop till 7k and comes into boost sooner and harder. Just hoping the Trans stays happy. Lol.

Should be doing some 1/8 mile runs this weekend

Video of a Dyno pull. Hit limiter by accident:

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2016, 09:52 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Did you wrap the hotside?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:43 AM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Yes. Minus the portion that runs beside Trans and holds turbo. I plan to get to that soon. What minimal free time I've had I had to put towards getting the meth kit on and cam done.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:33 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Awesome build, subbing
Old 07-29-2016, 04:22 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Went for a test drive on the radials. This thing is bad.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:10 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Went to a local 1/8 event yesterday. I ran the heavyweight class. I had to be 3500lbs and my scales at the shop said 3450 with me, a full tank and the drag wheels on. So I put 2 25lbs plates in the car, one in each rear storage compartment, and hoped my scales were light. I got there and I was 3551, filled up right before getting to track, with the weight in. So I left it.

I never got the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points perfect but they improved throughout the day. 3rd isn't locking as fast as it should either so that's hurting me. The converter just won't work for drag racing. I'm going to have to get it adjusted so I can get this car to actually leave with some RPM and boost.

I was still happy to drive the car an hour to the track, make a handful of passes, make it to the semis in my class and drive it home. The MPH shows the car is making some good power and I know it'll pickup up a lot of ET and mph once the converter and Trans settings are right.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To My rear mount turbo setup

Old 08-07-2016, 04:52 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

The 2-3 shift is too early from a roll but here is a pull from today. I had the radials on so it didn't spin.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:17 PM
C6ZO6-2006
KaNDriZO6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default c6

nice work

you need only change block and heads to go 6 bolt and full boost
Old 08-07-2016, 11:08 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Hoping I can drag the stock engine out for a year or so lol. For a street car it's already really fun and gonna get me in trouble if I keep doing 2/3/4 pulls lol.

Quick Reply: My rear mount turbo setup