C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My rear mount turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 12:17 AM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My rear mount turbo setup

So the plan when I got my C6 was to do a simple twin turbo setup. I picked up a pair of vband Precision dual ball bearing 5858s and began the fabrication process. I spent many hours tacking up different collectors and doing different runner routing and was just never happy with clearance. I then was hit by a case of bigger is better syndrome and got over the idea of twins so I sold them and started planning on a fender mount setup. Well I once again wasn't happy with how things were looking and was worried about downpipe to tire clearance. I also didn't want to hack my fender liner up and didn't like the idea of removing the washer jug. On the passenger side I was completely against the idea of moving the PCM and battery. This left me with either a front mounted setup or rear. I decided when I got the car I wasn't cutting it up and losing any amenities wasn't an option so rear mount it was. The only thing I disliked about it was that I had to get rid of my Corsa mufflers.

So after planning the design out I ordered materials and in my minimal free time I started building everything. My friend and I started by using a turbo support stand to get the positioning of the turbo right and welded a 1" steel square tube across the rear frame. The T6 flange from Monkey Fab has 2 support holes in it for mounting so that came in handy for this job. I used some 3.5" piping and shaped it to the flange the best it could fit and then used a modified 3" to 4" reducer to mate up to the 3" feed. Off the manifolds I build a 2.5" Y pipe that merges to the 3" piece that runs to the rear.

The intercooler piping is 3" off the turbo and uses 3" oval tubing with a oval to circle transitions on each end to get under the from cross member. The oval tubing was used to help with ground clearance. It runs to a Treadstone 1300hp side feed intercooler. Off of that is a 3" pipe with a Tial BOV going to the TB.

The turbo is one I picked up for a deal. It's a X275 Precision 85mm with G trim exhaust housings. The wastegate is a Turbo Smart 60mm. I'm hoping it spools decent but if it doesn't I'll sell it and go smaller.

The engine is a stock LS3 that will have BTR springs/retainers. When I have time again after his is done I'll do a cam.

The trans has a Circle D triple disc billet converter that I had them build for a turbo setup and installed when the car was NA. The output shafts in the diff I replaced with DSS units. The driveshaft is a 3.5" solid DSS aluminum shaft. I also have a 6l80E trans brace thanks to SubFloor.

The fuel system is a C6 Z06 pump with Racetronix rewire kit and Fuel Injector Clinic 850cc injectors.

For mounts I rub Pfab engine and trans mounts.

I have a Dashlogic setup for monitoring everything.

The turbo will have a filter when the car is all finished up.

It runs now but I have to change the valve springs and make a bracket for the intercooler piping and exhaust along with a catch can and the exhaust that runs off the back of the turbo. I'm hoping to have it on the dyno in a week or two.

The goal from the get go has been a 9 second pump gas street car. I'm feeling fairly confident about this now.

Anyways enough rambling. Any questions feel free to PM me.

(BTW the blue/red oil fitting on the oil reservoir off the turbo is driving me crazy but it's what I had here. Next time I place an order with Jeg's I'll get another black one).
Attached Images                   
Old 04-26-2016, 12:19 AM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Some nice work there!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:06 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Nice!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:21 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Looks great, glad to see you got it going. And great choice for the turbo. Hopefully you dont have the same issue I had with my Werx pump. It wouldnt suck up all of the oil when it was above my turbo. Oil went past the seals and came out of the exhaust.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:34 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did lowing the pump fix it?
Old 04-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by slow ride
Did lowing the pump fix it?
Yes, I put it about 3/4" lower than the drain and it worked perfectly.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:33 AM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

we have my exa a few inches below the turbo never had any issues. Buddy had his above his turbo and killed it. Should remount before starting this bad boy up. Needs to be able to drain from the turbo to the pump.

Last edited by DANZGLASS; 04-26-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:36 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by DANZGLASS
we have my exa a few inches below the turbo never had any issues. Buddy had his above his turbo and killed it. Should remount before starting this bad boy up. Needs to be able to drain from the turbo to the pump.

The sad thing is they advertise it can be 12' above the source. The problem Im pretty sure is the volume of oil. If more oil came out and didnt allow any air to be pulled it would work like that.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:58 PM
stillspinnin
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fab work looks great so far. I m def going to use oval pipe for mine. Post some more pics of the engine bay please!
Old 04-26-2016, 01:13 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Thanks guys.

The engine bay still looks pretty normal aside from the shiny intercooler pipe. I suppose once I build the catch can it'll add a little more to it. Once it's all done I'll get some walk around videos and dyno videos.

As for the scavenge pump. Ideally I wanted to mount it lower but that wasn't really an option with this turbo due to how much space it takes up. That's why I built that reservoir to catch the oil. I ran it for about 30 seconds like that before hooking the pump connector up in an attempt to keep it from starving. I also left the oil line off the valve cover and let it pump into a bottle to make sure it was moving a decent amount of oil.

Now the next question is of course how fast the oil fills the reservoir vs. how fast it drains. I need to try and verify that. The car has idled for probably an hour total so far along with some revving and foot braking and it's been good. Now when I got the turbo I noticed some oil on the turbine which indicates it already had an oil seal issue or the previous owner hurt his engine and put some oil through the exhaust. The car it came off of was a 4.7 1/8th mile car.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I had mine above the turbo with no issue before.

When I called them to ask advice about it they told me to use -6 lines.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:02 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

not sure an intank c6z06 pump with BAP will be sufficient for 9s? pretty cheap to throw on a simple external pump setup like a&a or ecs
Old 04-26-2016, 05:54 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude_man
Looks great, glad to see you got it going. And great choice for the turbo. Hopefully you dont have the same issue I had with my Werx pump. It wouldnt suck up all of the oil when it was above my turbo. Oil went past the seals and came out of the exhaust.
Agreed!

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
I had mine above the turbo with no issue before.

When I called them to ask advice about it they told me to use -6 lines.
Me and Dudeman had the same problem with our exa pumps and I ended up re locating mine and it fixed the problem. I was just glad my turbo seals didn't get ruined. I took my car down the street and I smoked everyone out, the entire street was white. Relocate your pump OP or look like this:

Last edited by C6 Curtis; 04-26-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:22 PM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop
not sure an intank c6z06 pump with BAP will be sufficient for 9s? pretty cheap to throw on a simple external pump setup like a&a or ecs
Agreed
Old 04-27-2016, 05:45 PM
Ls240sx
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Curtis

I just did a twin turbo kit for a 370z with an exa pump.. That picture describes what happen perfectly
Old 04-30-2016, 11:51 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Got the car on the Dyno today. Removed the rear valance and made a temporary Dyno exhaust. Waiting on material to come in so I can do what I really want with the exhaust.

The conclusion was that this turbo, as I expected but hoped I was wrong, is too damn laggy. I had a small Spring in the gate but it only made a little under 3psi at 5200 and held it till redline. I didn't put a controller or different spring in it because I knew I wasn't gonna be happy with it spool wise so it wasn't worth messing with beyond that. It did break 500hp though so that turbo would really shine a setup built around it.

On the bright side it never smoked a single bit. Not on the Dyno, or driving to get gas and spray it off, or on the 100+ mph back roads pulls. I've already ordered a T6 S475 for now and proper turbine housing outlet flange just so I can get something smaller on there and for the price you can't beat it (did one on a buddies cam only 5.3 Silverado and made over 600hp on pump/meth and 14psi). Today was the first time I've driven the car around more then the shop and I knew I had to get it back out soon.
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2016, 01:04 AM
nenji01
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Nigel
Got the car on the Dyno today. Removed the rear valance and made a temporary Dyno exhaust. Waiting on material to come in so I can do what I really want with the exhaust.

The conclusion was that this turbo, as I expected but hoped I was wrong, is too damn laggy. I had a small Spring in the gate but it only made a little under 3psi at 5200 and held it till redline. I didn't put a controller or different spring in it because I knew I wasn't gonna be happy with it spool wise so it wasn't worth messing with beyond that. It did break 500hp though so that turbo would really shine a setup built around it.

On the bright side it never smoked a single bit. Not on the Dyno, or driving to get gas and spray it off, or on the 100+ mph back roads pulls. I've already ordered a T6 S475 for now and proper turbine housing outlet flange just so I can get something smaller on there and for the price you can't beat it (did one on a buddies cam only 5.3 Silverado and made over 600hp on pump/meth and 14psi). Today was the first time I've driven the car around more then the shop and I knew I had to get it back out soon.
nice what back housing on the s475? 1.10 or the 1.32?

Get notified of new replies

To My rear mount turbo setup

Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

I hope you were getting your wastegate vacuum from the intake manifold and not off the compressor cover
Old 05-01-2016, 10:24 AM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Nigel

There must be a problem, it should not be that laggy unless you are using a 4.8 with that turbo. I think even the 3.4 supra's spool it around that time. Is your turbo BB and billet? I ran an S480 T6 1.58 and it had boost under 3k. My new Gen2 76mm Precision gets boost even sooner even with the bigger exhaust wheel 2200rpm and full boost before 3. I'm an LS7 with 3 inch crossovers.

-Curtis
Old 05-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Being an auto you should have no problem spooling that turbo. I started seeing boost at 2800rpms on my setup.

Quick Reply: My rear mount turbo setup