C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock LS7 Haltech/Aquamist/PrecisionTurbo FenderMount Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:35 AM
Ls240sx
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nenji01
The float is pretty much a positive n negative n sends to signal to the gauge depends how it gets connected it can either read jt right or backwards so wouldn't a float that measures the fuel in your specific fuel sell just hooked up to the gauge n given power make the factory gauge work just having the gauge independently working(kinda like if it was a new wideband gauge been installed)
That is true, that is how the sender works... However there are 2 of them. One in drivers tank and one in pass tank. When the pass side is empty the gauge shows half full. If at any point the signals get mixed up it throws an error and gauge goes to 0. I am very familiar with this setup unfortunately. I have contemplated going to a cell for quite some time now
Old 05-11-2016, 08:19 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by C6 Curtis
I've been talking with Dudeman and I believe he came up with a solution to use the fuel cell with the factory gauge. Hopefully he will chime in.

-Curtis
We shall see

Basically you need something to convert a 0-80 ohm sender to 0.7 to 2.5V signal (per tank) that the ECM will be happy with (for both tanks). And the signal has to behave like a stock one would, i.e. passenger tank drains first, etc.

Hopefully it's figured out but dude's will be the first real test. I give it a 50/50 shot working on the first try
Old 05-11-2016, 08:34 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls240sx
That is true, that is how the sender works... However there are 2 of them. One in drivers tank and one in pass tank. When the pass side is empty the gauge shows half full. If at any point the signals get mixed up it throws an error and gauge goes to 0. I am very familiar with this setup unfortunately. I have contemplated going to a cell for quite some time now
So because of it having to be empty on the pass side to read 1/2 running two senders in the cell wouldn't be an option?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:01 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

ECM is expecting the passenger sender to go down first, then driver. I would expect it to freak out if you deviate from that.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Ls240sx
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am currently running a sump on both tanks with an external pump. So I am not using the factory transfer function. With both tanks hooked up together they are both the at same level. What I did was modify the sender position an arms so the sender still has full travel but the pass side reads from full to half and the drivers reads half to empty.

running 2 senders in a cell would work but I can tell you from experience, it takes a lot of trial and error to make the floats/senders work correctly.

I was really hoping to have someone chime in like" oh yeh you just need this...". Vengence had to do something with Sinisters tank.. maybe they can chime in.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:24 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

PM'd you.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:29 AM
nenji01
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the gauge is connected seperately from anything just its own power source to act as a simple gauge when the car turns on and the gauge is then connected to any float the needle will read w.e position the float is in its that simple you just have to bypass all the ******** and make it exactly what it is... A fual gauge for a float nothing else 12v power n ground. If any warning messages come up on the display since the ecu no longer sees the fuel quantity is another problem have someone delete that or live with it but at least ull know how much fuel u have 24/7

Last edited by nenji01; 05-11-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:32 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Or you can make it work like the factory setup.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:38 AM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

if the gauge is connected seperately from anything just its own power source to act as a simple gauge when the car turns on and the gauge is then connected to any float the needle will read w.e position the float is in its that simple you just have to bypass all the ******** and make it exactly what it is... A fual gauge for a float nothing else 12v power n ground. If any warning messages come up on the display since the ecu no longer sees the fuel quantity is another problem have someone delete that or live with it but at least ull know how much fuel u have 24/7
It doesn't work how you're thinking, we all wish it was that simple. My gauge reads 0 and always says low fuel. To get it to work correct the sending unit needs to send the correct readable signal to the ECU. Sure I can get a GM autometer gauge from the Zone and hook that bad boy up and read what's in the tank but I'd rather have the cluster gauge like most. Going to check it in the back really isn't a huge deal for me because how simple it is. Vengeance made it work so hopefully they can give input.

-Curtis

Last edited by C6 Curtis; 05-11-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

The float is pretty much a positive n negative n sends to signal to the gauge depends how it gets connected it can either read jt right or backwards so wouldn't a float that measures the fuel in your specific fuel sell just hooked up to the gauge n given power make the factory gauge work just having the gauge independently working(kinda like if it was a new wideband gauge been installed)
Stock has two senders. It's a corvette so of course they have to make it complicated. I've been working with a member on here and we're about to test a potentially plug n play unit that will make the factory gauge work. Should have testing soon, I'm confident in his capabilities so it should be available for purchase shortly.
The following users liked this post:
locosmith (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ls240sx
I am currently running a sump on both tanks with an external pump. So I am not using the factory transfer function. With both tanks hooked up together they are both the at same level. What I did was modify the sender position an arms so the sender still has full travel but the pass side reads from full to half and the drivers reads half to empty.

running 2 senders in a cell would work but I can tell you from experience, it takes a lot of trial and error to make the floats/senders work correctly.

I was really hoping to have someone chime in like" oh yeh you just need this...". Vengence had to do something with Sinisters tank.. maybe they can chime in.
His doesn't work like factory gauge. He said it works at 50% or something
Old 05-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Doesn't work like that, you can't just delete the code. It was say malfunction or something I forget and then go to 0. I've tried all of that already. You will need a separate converter to make it work properly
Old 05-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Could just max out the passenger tank empty, then use the driver tank sender in the cell.

So the last half of the gauge would read correctly....

Not the perfect solution, but might not show up as an error and would always know when you're going empty..

Would be just like only putting in half of tank everytime you filled up as far as gauge is concerned?
Old 05-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
Could just max out the passenger tank empty, then use the driver tank sender in the cell.

So the last half of the gauge would read correctly....

Not the perfect solution, but might not show up as an error and would always know when you're going empty..

Would be just like only putting in half of tank everytime you filled up as far as gauge is concerned?
Or have it work flawlessly...? Once this converter is dialed in. $150 to have a fuel cell work with my stock gauge seems like a bargain. Especially when it will be plug n play.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude_man
Or have it work flawlessly...? Once this converter is dialed in. $150 to have a fuel cell work with my stock gauge seems like a bargain. Especially when it will be plug n play.
Well yeah IF it works, and IF you make it available for sale, and IF the wait isn't too long as some people are already in the middle of the build.. It would be a better solution for sure.

By that's a lot of ifs for some of us.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
Well yeah IF it works, and IF you make it available for sale, and IF the wait isn't too long as some people are already in the middle of the build.. It would be a better solution for sure.

By that's a lot of ifs for some of us.
It'll work I'll throw some power to my car and take a video next week. Have a few interested in it already so once I post the video and confirm it woks as it should. Lead time would only be a few days.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:27 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Should have it Friday

Get notified of new replies

To Stock LS7 Haltech/Aquamist/PrecisionTurbo FenderMount Build

Old 05-11-2016, 06:13 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Ill be a confirmed buyer and use it in my build
Old 05-11-2016, 06:32 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Haltech PS2000
WB2
CAN
TC4 x2

Literally PNP I loved it. I'll be tieing my meth kit into the system also.

-Curtis

Last edited by C6 Curtis; 05-11-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:23 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Now that's badass

Quick Reply: Stock LS7 Haltech/Aquamist/PrecisionTurbo FenderMount Build