C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tensioner tighten !

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 02:14 AM
Bojwayes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensioner tighten !

I changed my belt yesterday but i think there is something wrong when i finished tensioner tighten , because my first time i see my tensioner like this way , as you know the tensioner have two marks lines and the third one was out of the two marks lines not between them . Is that wrong ? Is that put my tensioner in stress all the time and hurt it ? What is the right way you tight the tensioner ? Its not between !

This like my bracket
Old 06-29-2016, 02:22 AM
Bojwayes
Instructor

Actually my way to tight it , i got friend help by give him long lever or coloum
And he put it in down side of tensioner pulley then hard pull the lever down to force the tensioner to go up hard , to get max belt stretch and let him hold until i tight the bolts and finish then he release it . Is that the wrong way ? If its wrong What is the right way ?
Old 06-30-2016, 03:23 AM
Bojwayes
Instructor

Anybody help ?

Is that bad tensioner ?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:17 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Give procharger a call
Old 06-30-2016, 10:29 AM
Bojwayes
Instructor

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Give procharger a call
No answer 😔
Old 06-30-2016, 10:43 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

IMHO: It sounds and looks like you're over tightening the belt and bottoming out the spring tensioner, which defeats the purpose of having a spring loaded tensioner. This will most likely result in the belt getting thrown at some stage, possibly the first time to let off the throttle after a WOT run.
IIRC, the single mark on the bracket is supposed to be between the two marks on the tensioner, so that the tensioner can move within the range it's designed to work in. If your belt is slipping, taking a long lever and bottoming out the spring loaded tensioner and tightening it there, which puts massive load on the belt, isn't the answer. You may simply need to upgrade to a 8-10 rib pulley system.
BTW: the edges of your belt look a little frazzled already - which may indicate a pulley alignment problem. That's the other thing that can happen if you're using a long lever to overload the belt: you could be putting so much stress on the pullies that it pulls the bracket slightly out of alignment.
As schpenxel said, give Procharger a call and verify how they recommend you should tighten the belt. Hopefully their customer service is better than the last time I called them, several years back, which was the reason I got rid of my Procharger: Their blower was awesome, customer service and support, not so much so...
Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Bojwayes
No answer 😔
As I was saying: Their blowers might make plenty of boost, but their customer service sucks! They should make a T-Shirt saying that.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:57 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Email them? I've seen more than a few damaged tensioners and bent tensioner bolts from procharger from over tightening. They always blame it on the install or user. My advice is to swap to an a&a bracket and save the headache and get some of the best customer service around.
The following users liked this post:
Josh@AandASuperchargers (07-06-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 02:50 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

never ran the procharger stuff but have had great experiences with my A&A procharger brackets and their customer service is A+. making ~900whp through a D1 procharger and 8 rib belt with no issues for a while now. a&a ftw
The following users liked this post:
Josh@AandASuperchargers (07-06-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Bojwayes
Instructor

Originally Posted by CI GS
IMHO: It sounds and looks like you're over tightening the belt and bottoming out the spring tensioner, which defeats the purpose of having a spring loaded tensioner. This will most likely result in the belt getting thrown at some stage, possibly the first time to let off the throttle after a WOT run.
IIRC, the single mark on the bracket is supposed to be between the two marks on the tensioner, so that the tensioner can move within the range it's designed to work in. If your belt is slipping, taking a long lever and bottoming out the spring loaded tensioner and tightening it there, which puts massive load on the belt, isn't the answer. You may simply need to upgrade to a 8-10 rib pulley system.
BTW: the edges of your belt look a little frazzled already - which may indicate a pulley alignment problem. That's the other thing that can happen if you're using a long lever to overload the belt: you could be putting so much stress on the pullies that it pulls the bracket slightly out of alignment.
As schpenxel said, give Procharger a call and verify how they recommend you should tighten the belt. Hopefully their customer service is better than the last time I called them, several years back, which was the reason I got rid of my Procharger: Their blower was awesome, customer service and support, not so much so...
I know the single mark should be betwen 2 marks and work in the range , but when i hold the tensioner pulley and maxed tension of belt by lever then i tighten the bolts i got this result ! Sothat i think there is something wrong or i will hurt the tensioner soon , so i decied to unbolt and re tight the belt wihout any help or lever and see after that if it tight well or not . But is the tigten with brass and bolts only is right way to tight the belt or not ?

Get notified of new replies

To Tensioner tighten !

Quick Reply: Tensioner tighten !