C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going with ECS. . . Supporting mods beforehand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 AM
aarongdl
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going with ECS. . . Supporting mods beforehand?

Hey all,

I'm looking to go with an ECS supercharger around Christmas time on my bone stock A6 LS2 Corvette. Are there any supporting mods that I should look into BEFORE the install and get a tune? Ie cam, exhaust, etc.

I'd like to daily the car and keep the power level within what a stock block can handle, only thing I'm putting in at the moment are shocks from a C7
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by aarongdl
Hey all,

I'm looking to go with an ECS supercharger around Christmas time on my bone stock A6 LS2 Corvette. Are there any supporting mods that I should look into BEFORE the install and get a tune? Ie cam, exhaust, etc.

I'd like to daily the car and keep the power level within what a stock block can handle, only thing I'm putting in at the moment are shocks from a C7
The "go to" mods IMHO are our kit, Alky control meth injection and American Racing headers. Best bang for the buck.

You can get started with headers, let me know if you would like a price on those.

Thanks for your business!!
Old 06-30-2016, 11:03 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

1 7/8" headers and X-pipe, preferably cat-less if that's legal where you are (and you don't mind a slight stinky fuel smell from the exhaust).
If you're up for doing a cam, then there's plenty of reputable companies that you can get a decent cam that will add ~80hp on boost and still idle decent.
Make sure that you get a good set of injectors of sufficient size that allows you to upgrade later, with the right data for offsets etc. A set of ID1000s would probably do, unless maybe if you're going to go the E85 route?
With the A6, I would do a converter, but keep it ~2800 rpm stall speed of you want it to drive like stock, or do something like a Yank blower series 3400 if it's going to be a 1/4 mile weekend warrior setup.
You may want to start thinking about supporting mods to the cooling system. Search around on here. There's plenty of info on the ECS system. Your car will be badass no matter what you do with that system.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Tribaltalon
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey all,

Read this carefully: YOUR FIRST MOD NEEDS TO BE TIRES.

Trust me. Boost and stock tires do not get along. at. ALL. So start researching and shopping for some good sticky tires before you start adding even more power to the smoke show.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Damper since your pulling stock one to pin crank.
MBB (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 01:57 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tribaltalon
Read this carefully: YOUR FIRST MOD NEEDS TO BE TIRES.

Trust me. Boost and stock tires do not get along. at. ALL. So start researching and shopping for some good sticky tires before you start adding even more power to the smoke show.
Eh.. He doesn't need something sticky like a DR for sub 600whp... NT05, RE-11s, and PSS are all going to be ok on a centri car below 600whp..which he probably won't even break.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Spoolin8
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Damper since your pulling stock one to pin crank.

This. The stock one sucks without the added stress of a SC.

Harmonic Balancer/Damper
Meth
Headers
Cam
Old 06-30-2016, 05:31 PM
aarongdl
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MBB
Eh.. He doesn't need something sticky like a DR for sub 600whp... NT05, RE-11s, and PSS are all going to be ok on a centri car below 600whp..which he probably won't even break.
Dreaming I was aiming for 550-600, I guess realistically a little over 500 to the wheels.

Why wouldn't I break 600? Is that too much for the stock block or what's holding it back?

Also, and recommendations or parts/brands to AVOID are welcome as well as far as the dampers and whatnot.

Gonna wait to pull the trigger on a nice set of wheels and tires, but will definitely look into them.

Why the American racing headers?

And ifninwere to get headers and a can spec'd for this supercharger, would it cause any type of performance loss if it were installed and tuned for a few months without the supercharger install?
Old 06-30-2016, 06:22 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

Do it all at once, much cheaper that way.
Nowanker (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:18 PM
Spoolin8
Racer

Dreaming I was aiming for 550-600, I guess realistically a little over 500 to the wheels.

Why wouldn't I break 600? Is that too much for the stock block or what's holding it back?

Also, and recommendations or parts/brands to AVOID are welcome as well as far as the dampers and whatnot.

Gonna wait to pull the trigger on a nice set of wheels and tires, but will definitely look into them.

And ifninwere to get headers and a can spec'd for this supercharger, would it cause any type of performance loss if it were installed and tuned for a few months without the supercharger install?

I have LS2 with the ECS 1500 kit and put down 750 to the wheels. On stock block/bottom end. That said I have numerous supporting mods....

Last edited by Spoolin8; 06-30-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:08 PM
aarongdl
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Spoolin8
I have LS2 with the ECS 1500 kit and put down 750 to the wheels. On stock block/bottom end. That said I have numerous supporting mods....
Would you care to PM me your setup or give me an idea of what kind of supporting mods you did so I can get an idea of what to be looking for?

If not, I understand/
Old 06-30-2016, 09:13 PM
Spoolin8
Racer

sending pm...
Old 06-30-2016, 09:34 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

I'd say do methanol headers and some good rear tires like maybe some r888 if you don't already have them.

much much cheaper to do it all at once. if you truly daily drive it I would either stick with stock cam or go with something small. lots of supercharged ls3 vettes at 600whp+ on stock cam though so no need to do that now necessarily and it does leave a fun step to do in the future for whenever you want that other 70whp+, which is transformative.

ECS is a great shop though, I'd just listen to them and do what they say. Have bought lots of stuff from them over the years and they've never done me wrong.
DOUG @ ECS (07-02-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 09:56 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
Do it all at once, much cheaper that way.

This is SO true, in all areas of modding (and even routine service!)
Do it once, do it all, do it right. Then you're done... no screwing around later, no paying (or performing, if you DIY) duplicate labor items.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:02 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Well I assumed low boost and it's an LS2 that you didn't sound (at least it seemed like) like you were going radical with so 600 or less seemed plausible.

Do all of your mods at one time, it's cheaper and you have to take the same parts off to do the cam swap or blower. You will need a tune either way, best to have it tuned once.

The LS2 is a fine engine.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:11 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

i WOULDN'T do cam, unless you want to go crazy. ECS 1500 meth and headers, you'll have enough to break 700whp with supporting fuel. I would negotiate with Matt from FSP or Christ at ECS, both has been great! With that said, I would negotiate my kit minus the BAP to put toward stage 1 fuel system with upgraded 85LBS injectors. And also do the harmonic!!!!!!! Mine last one month before starting to go to ****!! Sure its fun having all that stuff, but im still struggling getting the tune right, For some reasons, i think ECS have a bad design when it comes to intake, because i have all kind of surge light throttle surge issues with MAF turbulences, which is driving me freaking nut!!!
Old 07-01-2016, 08:16 AM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
i WOULDN'T do cam, unless you want to go crazy. ECS 1500 meth and headers, you'll have enough to break 700whp with supporting fuel. I would negotiate with Matt from FSP or Christ at ECS, both has been great! With that said, I would negotiate my kit minus the BAP to put toward stage 1 fuel system with upgraded 85LBS injectors. And also do the harmonic!!!!!!! Mine last one month before starting to go to ****!! Sure its fun having all that stuff, but im still struggling getting the tune right, For some reasons, i think ECS have a bad design when it comes to intake, because i have all kind of surge light throttle surge issues with MAF turbulences, which is driving me freaking nut!!!

Granted it's not the best design but it is also designed to fit over the stock radiator. A stack with a filter produces more boost and power because it produces less restriction and turbulent air...

That said, think about this logically... ECS has a design flaw because you're having issues tuning. That would mean that the thousands of us that didn't have that issue are the exceptions and your one car is the rule?

Get notified of new replies

To Going with ECS. . . Supporting mods beforehand?

Old 07-01-2016, 08:24 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Every single tuner says that ecs have issue with maf tunes. Sd tune is mandatory so yeah ill blame on air path issue
Old 07-01-2016, 08:34 AM
Spoolin8
Racer

Why wouldn't you want a speed density tune after throwing a blower on the vehicle?
Old 07-01-2016, 08:47 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I agree on going full SD, might as well...

But Tim is right... several people have complained about MAF turbulence on card style MAF's with ECS's kit. Mostly from tuners who don't feel like tuning in SD..

Mine did the same thing when using the MAF. Went to SD and all is fine.

Had to reinstall MAF to pass emissions testing a few months ago and it was horrible.

Last edited by schpenxel; 07-01-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Going with ECS. . . Supporting mods beforehand?