C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single Turbo C6 Build | Billet S475 | E85

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 10:54 PM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Getting all the little things ironed out. Still need to have the clutch installed and get it tuned. Also, someone had asked previously, but this radiator and fan setup work awesome. I let it idle for about 30 minutes and it never got above 205.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:45 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

car looks great. that has to be the girthy-est intercooler I've ever seen on a c6. haha
Old 10-13-2016, 02:53 PM
kpt0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks awesome man good job!!fan of single turbo vettes
Old 10-14-2016, 01:28 AM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice! I love the layout, interestingly enough I was thinking of doing something very similar.

I was thinking of running the turbo inverted and doing an a2w setup from 417 Motorsports with a Holley intake and doing the dumps out of the fender or hood. My only fear is that it wont have sufficient cooling and overheat like crazy on the street. Anyway, I wish you luck and can't wait for some updates.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

It would work fine, I thought about the 417 a2w but it's just too much damn money

Originally Posted by C 5

Nice! I love the layout, interestingly enough I was thinking of doing something very similar.

I was thinking of running the turbo inverted and doing an a2w setup from 417 Motorsports with a Holley intake and doing the dumps out of the fender or hood. My only fear is that it wont have sufficient cooling and overheat like crazy on the street. Anyway, I wish you luck and can't wait for some updates.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:02 PM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dude_man
It would work fine, I thought about the 417 a2w but it's just too much damn money
Agreed, it is a hard pill to swallow, but to me it's worth the benefit of not running a fmic
Old 10-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Check out the shearerfab Holley cooler. I would run that.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:31 PM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

I'd like to keep my hood intact so I'm not going to run a huge intake. I may switch up to a PMC unit when I run a forged motor and 88mm turbo - that's stage 2 of the build though lol.

Those intakes and intercoolers are nice tho. @Dude_man a buddy of mine (No Corners Cut Fabrication) makes a similar intercooler for the holley intakes. Check them out on FB I think they are cheaper than 417s if you're wanting to run one. https://www.facebook.com/NCCFAB/?fref=ts
Old 10-15-2016, 12:07 AM
nenji01
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i was the one who asked if it overheats or anything with that radiator setup im glad it doesn't i almost went this route n didn't just cuz of fear of running into heat issues lol when are you tunnibg this beast?
Old 10-15-2016, 09:14 PM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Originally Posted by nenji01
i was the one who asked if it overheats or anything with that radiator setup im glad it doesn't i almost went this route n didn't just cuz of fear of running into heat issues lol when are you tunnibg this beast?
Hopefully within the next two weeks. I dropped it off yesterday at a friend's so he can install the clutch. Then after that I'm wanting to move the downpipe out the bumper cause it's too loud for my taste right now where it's at. Then it'll head to get dyno tuned. I'm super excited. Will update on what it makes.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:09 PM
AMS666
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a employee that had that same header after 4 track days headers cracked under pressure. Back to back weekends he drove the car for 17 days. Poor quality header resulted in him taking it to Nelson racing to get it done the right way. Some years later still makes 8.40-8.70 passes all day. Only thing he has replaced has been the clutch 2 times (tilton triple carbon)since that day he got it back. Daily driver with 116oct in the tank at all times. Im the owner of a oil refinery plant so he fills up every 2 days my people get it for 6.19 a gallon.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:57 AM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMS666
I have a employee that had that same header after 4 track days headers cracked under pressure. Back to back weekends he drove the car for 17 days. Poor quality header resulted in him taking it to Nelson racing to get it done the right way. Some years later still makes 8.40-8.70 passes all day. Only thing he has replaced has been the clutch 2 times (tilton triple carbon)since that day he got it back. Daily driver with 116oct in the tank at all times. Im the owner of a oil refinery plant so he fills up every 2 days my people get it for 6.19 a gallon.
These aren't the ebay ones that are up and forward. They are the cxracing units. They look to be good quality for the price. Time will tell.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:34 AM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
These aren't the ebay ones that are up and forward. They are the cxracing units. They look to be good quality for the price. Time will tell.
A few questions if you dont mind, the more I plan my build the more cooling and efficiency become a big factor, since not many people have gone this route, how much room do you have between the turbo and the radiator/shroud? The reason I ask is because I am seeing about the possibility of running a D3PE fan and shroud on a radiator setup, and using a turbo blanket, do you have any room to play with radiator and shroud setup? Couldn't tell from the pictures I'm viewing on my phone.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:34 PM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Originally Posted by C 5
A few questions if you dont mind, the more I plan my build the more cooling and efficiency become a big factor, since not many people have gone this route, how much room do you have between the turbo and the radiator/shroud? The reason I ask is because I am seeing about the possibility of running a D3PE fan and shroud on a radiator setup, and using a turbo blanket, do you have any room to play with radiator and shroud setup? Couldn't tell from the pictures I'm viewing on my phone.
There is about 1 1/2"s between the turbo and radiator fans. You could possibly get more if you move the turbo closer to the motor more, but I didn't want it too close. The crossover that cxracing sells with their kit moves the turbo closer, so you could use that and not have to fab your own crossover. These borg turbos are unforgiving when it comes to space lol. If you switched it out with a precision/turbonetics unit I could see another 2-3" in space added.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:35 PM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

I swapped the clutch out last night with a billet spec twin. Man this thing is grabby. Gonna need some time to get used to. Also did poly motor/trans mounts and new slave/master.

Have scheduled to tune Friday, will update with video!
Old 10-22-2016, 05:10 PM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Had it on the dyno Friday afternoon. Ran into some issues wiring up the boost controller so just dyno'd it on the small spring. Made 550whp on 6lbs. Then swapped out the springs to 14lbs and tried to get a pull on it but popped a coupler off and didn't have time to get it fixed. On the way back the turbo cooked one of the radiator fans, so I'll have to add a turbo blanket and wrap everything up to keep it from the heat. I'll update again with a high boost dyno.

Last edited by westtexasbuff; 10-22-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:57 AM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Had it on the dyno Friday afternoon. Ran into some issues wiring up the boost controller so just dyno'd it on the small spring. Made 550whp on 6lbs. Then swapped out the springs to 14lbs and tried to get a pull on it but popped a coupler off and didn't have time to get it fixed. On the way back the turbo cooked one of the radiator fans, so I'll have to add a turbo blanket and wrap everything up to keep it from the heat. I'll update again with a high boost dyno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGiX7iYX8bs
congrats! That's great power for a stock ls2 with just a cam and 6lbs, I think you'll definitely hit your goal.

Last edited by C 5; 10-24-2016 at 03:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Single Turbo C6 Build | Billet S475 | E85

Old 10-24-2016, 08:21 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Nice--I like how much you can see the intercooler through the front bumper.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:48 AM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Thanks guys! Also for those that were worried about wastegate placement - held steady 6lbs, and on the 14lb pull was holding it steady as well till the coupler popped off. Seems to be okay where they're at. I think what helps is I have two gates instead of a merge into one.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:23 AM
advancivic
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If Dow pipes the only issue for ac and all the other stuff why not use the cx complete kit? Minus turbo wastegates etc

Quick Reply: Single Turbo C6 Build | Billet S475 | E85