C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley Combo Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:24 AM
MMWD13
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
For the last time, who the hell cares about boost. 12lbs, 10lbs, who cares? Put a pulley on, dyno, if you want more power go smaller. Its as simple as that.

Local made 1100+ yesterday through a big stall auto on 14psi yesterday.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:56 PM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Those are great numbers!!
What's your set up? Also about boost, it is not crazy to think that you can blow the motor..

#allboostmatter

Old 09-13-2016, 04:59 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My car sees 24psi with race filter, 22psi with street filter, and 18-19psi with a dirty street filter. All without changing pulleys. Makes 1200+ anywhere over 22psi, and ~1100 with a dirty filter.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:35 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Seriously, forget this whole boost thing. Let it go, forget about it. It means nothing.

What power are you shooting for?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

12psi worth of powwa
Old 09-13-2016, 05:47 PM
MMWD13
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Seriously, forget this whole boost thing. Let it go, forget about it. It means nothing.

What power are you shooting for?
I would like around 650 rwhp... Guess I have been caught up on boost because I have always had GT500's and 03/04 Cobra's, and knew I could run 19-20lbs of boost max on 93 pump, and whatever power it put out is what I got! I always whippled the cars and put the pulley combos to make this boost. My car has the stock bottom end so I just wanted to stay within the limits of max "boost", with 93+ 100% meth. This is my first Vette that I have ever modified! Thanks for reply!
Old 09-14-2016, 02:50 PM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You're a good candidate to swap the rear pulleys side to side. That will convert the supercharger from underdriven to overdriven. Then buy you a 3.8" pulley for the front. Should put you @ 10 to 11psi the way you're configured and should give you a nice bump in HP and TQ. With the big front pulley and a correct sized belt, you shouldn't have any trouble with belt slip.

You can get genuine Maggy pulleys from superchargerconnection dot com or aftermarket pulleys from pulleyboys dot com.

Make sure your fuel delivery is up to the task. Fuel injectors as well as fuel pump may be too light for the job. For sure, get it re-tuned after you up the boost.

I am taking the car to the shop this coming Monday, as per the Tech at the shop has told me that i should see a 20whp increase per pound of boost added with the pulleys, also had recommended that they will keep on the safe side with the tune since i am running on a stock bottom end...any thoughts?

Old 09-14-2016, 07:14 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by StallionCorvette
I am taking the car to the shop this coming Monday, as per the Tech at the shop has told me that i should see a 20whp increase per pound of boost added with the pulleys, also had recommended that they will keep on the safe side with the tune since i am running on a stock bottom end...any thoughts?

Absolutely keep the tune on the safe side. You can gain a few hp by going from low 11's to high 11's on the AFR. An extra degree or two of advance gets you a little too. Just not worth it in my book. You may not get a full 80hp bump by adding 4psi. Probably 20hp/psi on the first two and 15hp/psi on the last two. That's been my experience anyway. Regardless, you're going to like it
The following users liked this post:
StallionCorvette (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 12:52 PM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Absolutely keep the tune on the safe side. You can gain a few hp by going from low 11's to high 11's on the AFR. An extra degree or two of advance gets you a little too. Just not worth it in my book. You may not get a full 80hp bump by adding 4psi. Probably 20hp/psi on the first two and 15hp/psi on the last two. That's been my experience anyway. Regardless, you're going to like it
Well...went to the shop and i was recommended the 2.9 pulleys with a new 6 rib belt, they also told me that i could go overdrive 5/10%..
The fact that i am on a stock bottom end scares the beejesus out of me...yet i don't track the car at all but i do push it when on a roll..

Is it a favorable point to go overdrive? I can still tell them to do it, they just order the pulleys (2.9) overnight them by tomorrow at noon.
My question is: is it worthy performance wise, will it hurt my motor that much boost with the overdrive 10%?

Man thank you, you have been a great help!

*Token good for a cold one!

Last edited by StallionCorvette; 09-20-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:50 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

The blower speed using the pulley combo that your shop wants to use will result in a blower rpm of 13339 at 6000rpm engine speed. That's using a 2.9" front pulley leaving the rears underdriven.

If you swap sides with the rear pulleys to make it overdriven, a 3.8" front pulley will result in 13,776 blower rpm at 6000 engine rpm. Not really enough of a difference to argue about.

What is not arguable is the fact that you're going to have belt slip if you use that tiny front pulley. That's a given. A 3.8" front pulley is WAY less likely to slip vs a 2.9". That extra few hundred rpm on the blower won't make a quarter pound difference in peak boost.

There are quite a few LS2's and 3's bumping around at that boost level. With a good tune, good fuel, and plenty of it, you won't have a problem.
StallionCorvette (09-21-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 06:50 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
My car sees 24psi with race filter, 22psi with street filter, and 18-19psi with a dirty street filter. All without changing pulleys. Makes 1200+ anywhere over 22psi, and ~1100 with a dirty filter.
Do you have your dyno sheet? Did it keep pulling or lose a little power around 6500?

Last edited by usmcpony; 09-20-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:47 PM
StallionCorvette
Racer

The blower speed using the pulley combo that your shop wants to use will result in a blower rpm of 13339 at 6000rpm engine speed. That's using a 2.9" front pulley leaving the rears underdriven.

If you swap sides with the rear pulleys to make it overdriven, a 3.8" front pulley will result in 13,776 blower rpm at 6000 engine rpm. Not really enough of a difference to argue about.

What is not arguable is the fact that you're going to have belt slip if you use that tiny front pulley. That's a given. A 3.8" front pulley is WAY less likely to slip vs a 2.9". That extra few hundred rpm on the blower won't make a quarter pound difference in peak boost.

There are quite a few LS2's and 3's bumping around at that boost level. With a good tune, good fuel, and plenty of it, you won't have a problem.
Got a call from the shop and told me that they got 58/60lbs of boost on the car yet the hp's were droppig at 4800rpm. They are suggesting a MSD booster pump to keep the fuel delivery to do its task...(another $500 installed). Also they told me that the pump and the injectors that were supply with the Magnuson Tvs-2300 were more than sufficient. I had given them the green light and told them t go ahead and do it since it was something that you OMH had adviced me before...so i knew that they weren't taking me for a walk lol!
Any thoughts on it Old Motor Head?

Again thank you for your advices.

**more tokens for cold ones for you!! (at this rate will be cheaper to buy a new z06 than to keep handing you free beers of appreciation hahaha)
Old 09-23-2016, 08:17 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

They need to watch the duty cycle on the injectors. Some of the early jackshaft Maggie kits came with 65# injectors. Vast majority of them came with LS9 (52#) injectors though. 52#er's aren't big enough. I'm betting you'll need to upgrade there too.
StallionCorvette (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 01:22 AM
StallionCorvette
Racer

They need to watch the duty cycle on the injectors. Some of the early jackshaft Maggie kits came with 65# injectors. Vast majority of them came with LS9 (52#) injectors though. 52#er's aren't big enough. I'm betting you'll need to upgrade there too.
Injectors were fine 65lbs ones, pump was also good, MSDmanage the fuel nice and even yet I got around a little below 10psi .
What "grinds my gears"is the fact that now with more WHP and the MSD on the car I feel that I lost some of that nice chopping sound from the cam yet the car does not feel like it's gasping for fuel so if anything it is even more Street friendly..

The tune was safe and the numbers that show on the Mustang Dyno were 630whp 630tq yet as per the tuner those numbers were taken after the car was tuned and it already had 7/8 passes on the Dyno so that heat soak might have affected the "paper bragging numbers" but there was no time to let the car cool off and getting it back on the dyno. When I picked it up car was cold, weather was very humid (Florida) streets also wets been raining a lot lately over here so really I didn't fully tested. When I got the courage and my V1 gave me the go ahead and the highway seemed dryer I pushed it a little bit and BOY OH BOY! It pulls like a freight train!
Still I would have loved to get the final numbers on a sheet of papers, I might take it to another place were they can Dyno it just to see exactly where I am standing.

I was advised not to do E85 or even meth injection...so that said I don't know if a have reached my limit on molding my car without affecting anything since I am on stock internals. Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2016, 09:32 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

You're at a good place power wise. I'm guessing your Vette is infinitely more fun now vs before. Your motor may be running smoother with less chop because the tuner did a really good job.

If you need a dyno number and pretty power curve, find you a shop with a dynojet and some cool air.

You could add a meth system for a little more octane and safety. If you have access to quality 93 octane, I wouldn't bother though. Just enjoy it...safely
StallionCorvette (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 04:04 PM
StallionCorvette
Racer

You're at a good place power wise. I'm guessing your Vette is infinitely more fun now vs before. Your motor may be running smoother with less chop because the tuner did a really good job.

If you need a dyno number and pretty power curve, find you a shop with a dynojet and some cool air.

You could add a meth system for a little more octane and safety. If you have access to quality 93 octane, I wouldn't bother though. Just enjoy it...safely

Yeah you are right OMH. I think i will stay this way for now, the car hasn't create any extra heat at all if anything less than before. I will try doing some research on what is a good 93 high octane grade fuel...Shell V-Power?

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Pulley Combo Question