C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:28 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't remember what they started with but given the big gains of I think 150whp+ AMP saw with that modified procharger intercooler at around your power level, I'm surprised no real big gains noticed.

I would have thought some fairly noticeable benefits vs. the small stock ecs intercooler.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:20 AM
DBTurMOMtuchesME
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unreal
E85 has zero effect on IATs.

Not sure if you meant it the way that it came out but that is false.
You wont see any cooler intake air temps because the IAT Sensor is before the fuel. But you do get the added benefit of higher octane and burn properties. And your combustion temperatures will drop. if you had a sensor placed as close to the combustion chamber as possible that could hold up to fuel saturation and be after the fuel is injected you would see a major difference in IAT's.

Last edited by DBTurMOMtuchesME; 10-09-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:24 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

His point was it doesn't change intake air temp. Which is obviously true

Of course there are other benefits further down the line
Old 10-09-2016, 02:11 PM
DBTurMOMtuchesME
Instructor

I was sure that's what he meant just wanted to clarify it so someone doesn't misunderstand what he was said.

But it absolutely does cool your intake air temperature. not in the charge tube or in the top of the intake. but in the bottom of the runners and into the combustion chamber it does. But due to the location of the sensor it isn't seen. That's why you have cars out there (granted mostly race cars) running crazy timing with no intercooler on E-85.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:35 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Or because it's crazy high octane and resists knock so temp doesn't matter nearly as much

(or both)

Last edited by schpenxel; 10-09-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:03 PM
DBTurMOMtuchesME
Instructor

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Or because it's crazy high octane and resists knock so temp doesn't matter nearly as much

(or both)

I'm not trying to go back and forth or argue. I see your post and relies you are knowledgeable and a senior member.

E85 is only around 105 octane but resist knock better than higher octane fuels. and that is mostly due to the fact that it has a higher latent heat of evaporation which means absorbs more heat (cools IAT'S) from the combustion charge as it goes from a liquid to vapor, which in turn makes it more resistant to detonation.

Last edited by DBTurMOMtuchesME; 10-09-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:21 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by schpenxel

(or both)

that was basically what I meant. car will be somewhat less sensitive to higher IATs on e85 vs. normal fuels for all the reasons everyone already knows.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:52 AM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Does the bumper sag lower now that the foam isn't helping support it?

Last edited by usmcpony; 10-13-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:24 AM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by usmcpony
Does the bumper sag lower now that the foam isn't helping support it?

Even if the nose looks fine at a stand still with the foam taken out at speed it most likely distorts and looks terrible without having support.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:51 AM
SpeedyWs6
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly the crash bar thing is way overrated IMO. The foam piece that goes over it still blocks everything, and even if you remove that the ammount of air is limited by the opening on the grill, which is smaller than the inlet to the radiator/fmic. I think the key to keeping cool is fresh air to the radiator/condensor. I could have easily go 8-10" wider, but I wanted the fresh air to filter condenser and radiator.
I have to disagree with the crash bar statement. I saw significant difference in coolant temps by cutting the crash bar and trimming the foam to match. It is definitely a piece of the puzzle.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:01 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Foam isn't removed. No difference to bumper cover on fitment or how it mounts, because nothing changed.

IATs never went over ambient in 2-4th gear pull, but it is powering through clutch, so can't report any performance gain besides it makes enough power to just free spin the clutch at will. With it just spinning clutch though I don't know if this is accurate, but on street with power turned down 2-4th they never go over ambient now. Before it would be below until top of 4th then go up quickly.

Also MAP sensor pegs 250kpa at 6k now. Before it only hit 245kpa peak. So making more boost now for sure.

Last edited by Unreal; 10-13-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:26 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Foam isn't removed. No difference to bumper cover on fitment or how it mounts, because nothing changed.

IATs never went over ambient in 2-4th gear pull, but it is powering through clutch, so can't report any performance gain besides it makes enough power to just free spin the clutch at will. With it just spinning clutch though I don't know if this is accurate, but on street with power turned down 2-4th they never go over ambient now. Before it would be below until top of 4th then go up quickly.

Also MAP sensor pegs 250kpa at 6k now. Before it only hit 245kpa peak. So making more boost now for sure.

good stuff. time for a triple plate!
I always wonder how much saturating the IAT sensor with meth may give a falsely low reading

modifying the crash bar certainly helped my car too. easy to use a hack saw blade to trim the foam without changing how the nose fits on the car or is supported. If having issues cooling I'd recommend it personally at least.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:22 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by neverstop
I always wonder how much saturating the IAT sensor with meth may give a falsely low reading
Me too
Old 10-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop

modifying the crash bar certainly helped my car too. easy to use a hack saw blade to trim the foam without changing how the nose fits on the car or is supported. If having issues cooling I'd recommend it personally at least.
Does it help, probably. Is it a night and day difference? In my case, nope. Car had more than enough cooling capacity and airflow from the front end. I think it will just depend on the car and case by case. On my car, no difference, but it did allow me to fit a larger FMIC, which may hurt cooling but helps with IATs.

So basically it appears the larger FMIC avoids heat soak for longer time, and may make more power, but until a clutch that can hold is put in, no conclusion can be made. It does keep IATs lower for multiple runs, but for a single 4th gear pull it doesn't make a difference at all. So would it effect a single dyno pull, I doubt it. Would it effect trap speed at 1/2 mile, probably.

Of course spraying the IAT sensor with meth ***** everything up, but my car runs on meth, and is setup that way, so if someone wants to find out without meth, they can do it on their car. I'm not removing meth or messing with that just to test internet theories. I'm sure it has a huge effect.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:05 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

modifying crash bar on my car was not night and day either.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Upgrade