C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost the KB BAP at 75

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Lost the KB BAP at 75

Cruising into Ft. Worth to my new job, bitch of a commune from Houston two times a week, and suddenly the car dies in the high speed lane. No gauges, no engine, and coasting down quickly. Was able to steer through the traffic to the right.

Car would turn over, no gauges, no start of course. Checked the BAP fuse, ECM fuse, fuel pump fuse, etc, all good. Had to have it towed to a dealership since I was stuck on the side of a freeway in a sketchy part of town with no tools, no jack, and all my stuff is back in Houston.

Turned out the BAP died. Once it was bypassed, the car runs fine.

So the question is: I have it tuned for the BAP with the Heartbeat. If I go into boost, do I chance it running lean, or will I just run out of power due to fuel delivery?

Not sure whether I want to replace the KB BAP now, wasn't a fun morning. Cost me a rental car, tow, and of course some dollars at the local dealership which did a good job after I pointed them in the direction of the BAP as a start. Got to admit, the loss of all gauges still kinda stumps me.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:16 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yes you may run lean if you get up into the power band. Don't risk your motor.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:45 PM
Ant-Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't risk it, keep it low in the band.

Also how long have you had it on there?
Old 09-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ant-Man
Don't risk it, keep it low in the band.

Also how long have you had it on there?
About 10K miles now. Really disappointing. I had heard good things about Kenny Bell.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:23 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

That sucks. Sorry to hear that man. I've been thinking about doing the ECS stage 1 fuel system and getting rid of the BAP on my car, but now I'm convinced that I need to do it ASAP. With my luck, my BAP will probably fail when I'm WOT at ~7000 RPM...
Really weird that the gauges did that. Maybe the BAP shorted internally and grounded the positive from the alternator somehow? No Bueno.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CI GS
That sucks. Sorry to hear that man. I've been thinking about doing the ECS stage 1 fuel system and getting rid of the BAP on my car, but now I'm convinced that I need to do it ASAP. With my luck, my BAP will probably fail when I'm WOT at ~7000 RPM...
Really weird that the gauges did that. Maybe the BAP shorted internally and grounded the positive from the alternator somehow? No Bueno.
I'm going to be taking it easy until I figure out what to do. I suspected that it would might go lean at WOT, and got that confirmed here. Not sure exactly what to do now, but it looks like once I get settled in Ft. Worth, fuel system is next on the list. I've really become used to having that power at my toe tips.....
Old 09-21-2016, 11:25 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

KB bap failures seem very rare. Have on on my car for maybe 5 years with no issues. Any part can fail, but its definitely not a common issue.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Ant-Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodstoc
I'm going to be taking it easy until I figure out what to do. I suspected that it would might go lean at WOT, and got that confirmed here. Not sure exactly what to do now, but it looks like once I get settled in Ft. Worth, fuel system is next on the list. I've really become used to having that power at my toe tips.....
BAPs are, from what I've seen, fairly easy to install and replace.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Grab an ECS one, install it and move on IMO.

Failures are rare enough that it isn't worth messing with.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:22 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

All my Hemi brothers have 86'd the BP to many failures.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:01 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought it was usually the fuel pump that died not that bap itself...
Old 09-21-2016, 09:56 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Mine was surprisingly lean after the BAP went out and I had to bypass it. Def wouldn't do much hard driving until it's replaced.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:01 PM
mourat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bypassed my KB BP as well. Mine was doing weird things in the last year, especially apparent on the dyno. First run or two would be fine, then I would go lean at WOT. It still ran fine cruising around but not on dyno.

I put a voltage meter to it and it was giving less and less power at WOT to a point where it was actually killing the performance of the pump. When I bypassed it, everything was great.

Mind you this was running the Walbro 450 which they are not designed to do so who knows. I am now running dual pumps, one tiny pump and the other is the walbro 450.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

I need to put a wideband on it so I can see where I am at now. Been putting it off, but this has really pointed out the need.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:31 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Emailed Kenne Bell and they say there is a year warranty on it.Sent me an RMA so it appears they are going to step up, barring something weird with the unit. Nice to have someone stand behind their product. Still cost me some coin and hassle though....hope its successor hangs in there.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

That's good to hear. I would definitely get a wideband. The PLX WB along with a Dashlogic is what I use and would recommend. That way you can display the AFR on either the DIC or the HUD and also set an alarm to warn you audibly if it ever goes lean.
BTW: You have the Racetronix fuel pump wire harness, correct? If not, get one of those to install along with the new BAP. That's the best $59 you'll ever spend on your Vette.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:43 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CI GS
That's good to hear. I would definitely get a wideband. The PLX WB along with a Dashlogic is what I use and would recommend. That way you can display the AFR on either the DIC or the HUD and also set an alarm to warn you audibly if it ever goes lean.
BTW: You have the Racetronix fuel pump wire harness, correct? If not, get one of those to install along with the new BAP. That's the best $59 you'll ever spend on your Vette.
Yes, I have the Racetronix and the Dashlogic. Definitely putting a wideband on the list of things to do. I'll check into the PLX. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost the KB BAP at 75

Old 09-23-2016, 04:19 PM
mourat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my DashLogic, I made everyone of my friends switch to it lol!

I'd say run the Dashlogic and buy yourself a simple fuel pressure sensor like I did. I can dig up the part number of the one I used and formula for dashlogic if you PM me.

Set the dashlogic alarm to warn you if fuel pressure starts dropping, I prefer that over wideband monitoring since the second fuel pressure drops, even before your A/F has a chance to change, you get an alarm from the dashlogic unit.

Originally Posted by Woodstoc
Yes, I have the Racetronix and the Dashlogic. Definitely putting a wideband on the list of things to do. I'll check into the PLX. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:39 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mourat
I love my DashLogic, I made everyone of my friends switch to it lol!

I'd say run the Dashlogic and buy yourself a simple fuel pressure sensor like I did. I can dig up the part number of the one I used and formula for dashlogic if you PM me.

Set the dashlogic alarm to warn you if fuel pressure starts dropping, I prefer that over wideband monitoring since the second fuel pressure drops, even before your A/F has a chance to change, you get an alarm from the dashlogic unit.
That sounds like a really good idea. PM coming.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:35 AM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I have an ecs one sitting here if you need it.

Quick Reply: Lost the KB BAP at 75