C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, looking at procharged corvette, but it seems to have issues

Old 10-11-2016, 12:17 AM
Mortis101
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help, looking at procharged corvette, but it seems to have issues

Hi Everyone-

I've searched and searched, but I couldn't find a specific answer to this question.

Anyways, I'm looking at buying an 05 Z51 that's procharged. It has a lot of other mods (heads, cam, exhaust, meth, ect) and when he started it up it sounded great except for the supercharger.

I've heard the whine of many superchargers, but this one sounded like there was a high pitched sound that I thought might be a problem. Almost raspy like every time the belt was making a revolution it was hitting something. Visually everything looked okay.

I asked him about it and he said it was just how prochargers sounded. I've done searches on youtube and this forum and none of them sound like this one. I also noticed some oil around the tube at the bottom of the supercharger. He said it was just blow by, but it was pretty far from the breather (mounted on the crank case) which looked clean. He does have a catch can, but he says it hardly ever has any oil in it.

So my questions are- What do you think the sound could be? Could it really just be blow by or is the s/c somehow leaking oil and he's trying to unload a huge problem?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Steve Haefner
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

run for the hills, or low ball him and pick a new head unit. your call

Last edited by Steve Haefner; 10-11-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:12 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

They're all cranky sounding when you aren't used to them.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Mortis101
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve Haefner
run for the hills, or low ball him and pick a new head unit. your call
So the high pitched whine and oil around the bottom would suggest the head unit is crapping out?
Old 10-11-2016, 10:16 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Mortis101
Hi Everyone-

I've searched and searched, but I couldn't find a specific answer to this question.

Anyways, I'm looking at buying an 05 Z51 that's procharged. It has a lot of other mods (heads, cam, exhaust, meth, ect) and when he started it up it sounded great except for the supercharger.

I've heard the whine of many superchargers, but this one sounded like there was a high pitched sound that I thought might be a problem. Almost raspy like every time the belt was making a revolution it was hitting something. Visually everything looked okay.

I asked him about it and he said it was just how prochargers sounded. I've done searches on youtube and this forum and none of them sound like this one. I also noticed some oil around the tube at the bottom of the supercharger. He said it was just blow by, but it was pretty far from the breather (mounted on the crank case) which looked clean. He does have a catch can, but he says it hardly ever has any oil in it.

So my questions are- What do you think the sound could be? Could it really just be blow by or is the s/c somehow leaking oil and he's trying to unload a huge problem?

Thanks for the help!
its not unusual for Procharger to be quite loud depending on gear type in head unit
Old 10-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Mortis101
Advanced

Originally Posted by irok
its not unusual for Procharger to be quite loud depending on gear type in head unit
I have no problem with loud (the louder the better imo) but this just didn't sound right. Especially when I saw oil around the bottom of the tube (base of head unit). I listened to a lot of procharger videos on youtube and none of them sounded like this one.

Anyone ever heard of blow by being accumulated at the base of the supercharger?
Old 10-12-2016, 02:20 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

i would try and find someone locally with a procharger or call a shop and you can swing by to hear it yourself locally. youtube does not capture sound well.

if this car has issues though you do not want to buy a built car from someone who didn't just fix whatever problems it may have had regardless of cost. pinching pennies on these kind of cars ends up costing you enormous money later. i made this mistake when bought my car and literally ended up having to replace essentially everything. doing it again i would have just paid up for a perfectly built car or bought it stock and done it myself.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:22 PM
Mortis101
Advanced

Thanks for the replies guys I think I'll pass on this one.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help, looking at procharged corvette, but it seems to have issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help, looking at procharged corvette, but it seems to have issues