C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a shortblock for my YSI

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 AM
0Billy@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyekid04
awesome thank you ! I built one on there last night kinda messing around and need to call up there to see what dish i should go with for my heads , pump gas and meth
Do you know what your chamber size is?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:57 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance@MTI
His last statement rings the most truth. You are trying to way over build for the goals in mind and that is going to eat your budget.

Iron block 408
brand "who ever" 4340 crank
brand "who ever" H beam rods
Brand "who ever" pistons for boost
Custom cam (why throw in a cam that everyone and brother has when you can have a custom cam ground for you and only you at the same price.
ARP everything!
Stock GM timing components
Melling oil pump with low pressure spring
Clevite H series bearings

I just did all of this with a top end not near as good as yours with 16psi and made 904whp
My good friend with his sn95 mustang / turbo build went 7.4 @ 191 w/ an eagle rotating assembly lol A motor is a motor, I read some of these threads and it's almost as if the corvette forum guys want to over spend. They feel like if they spend the most money on everything it will be the best. You can have the best parts but if the machine guy is a hack it doesn't mean squat. I'd rather have a cheaper shortblock done by a killer machianest then expensive parts done shitty. For what your trying to do. Any of the stock blocks will do. If it's in the budget and your buying a crank anyway then do the 4 inch and don't look back. If your gonna be a bear be a grizzly. If you wanna save the money get the ls3 grandsport crank (it's forged and fairly cheap) and stock stroke. Matte that with a forged h beam rod and piston and you have a good motor! Use the durabond cam bearings and clevite bearings also. Arp main studs and head studs would be nice also. Like MTI said call a cam company and get something specd out. I used bob at cam motion he is very personable. Btr is good also. Cam motion also sells a killer 8620 grind for a little bit extra. Good luck with everything. Any questions you can text me 732-489-3371 I was in a similar boat as you recently and been there done that.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:06 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I have to disagree somewhat. I have seen my buddies eagle crank give out at 1000 hp. For the power you are going for I would go with good parts and do it once, properly.

I do agree that the actual building of the motor is as important as the parts used. Personally I went with LME, but I'm sure there are others that do a fine job.
The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 11:08 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I have to disagree somewhat. I have seen my buddies eagle crank give out at 1000 hp. For the power you are going for I would go with good parts and do it once, properly.

I do agree that the actual building of the motor is as important as the parts used. Personally I went with LME, but I'm sure there are others that do a fine job.
I can post the time slip / video if you like. He never blew up that motor once. Beat the snout out of it. Here is a video of the car...

Last edited by 1MEANGS; 10-20-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Dyekid04
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know what your chamber size is?
they are stage 2.5 PRC 243's milled .015 so probably 62cc?
Old 10-20-2016, 11:13 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
I can post the time slip / video if you like. He never blew up that motor once. Beat the snout out of it. Here is a video of the car... https://youtu.be/wU29Cj1Im14
Turbos do not stress a crank like superchargers do. I am not saying that every cheaper part will fail, but there is a bigger risk of failure.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:14 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Old 10-20-2016, 11:15 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Turbos do not stress a crank like superchargers do. I am not saying that every cheaper part will fail, but there is a bigger risk of failure.
I agree I'm not saying to purposely put **** parts in the motor lol I'm just saying don't over buy or over think it like most do. Any of the brands he mentioned will work well and hold that power!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:16 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

You want to talk about mustangs and cranks ? Heres my buddy 2 weeks ago at the track. Near 1000 hp running and F1a.

Dyekid04
Instructor

I have built plenty of N/A builds but this time i think its time for a professional to step in and actually do it right. I keep hearing LME so it looks like them and maybe TSP . Out of most the responseshear ive yet to see a "thompson" post so idk with them as of yet.
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Bright side is.........belts are still good.. ROFL
Old 10-20-2016, 11:20 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

And I have also had a Compstar flex itself to death at 850 rwhp...

People tend to forget that the blower itself is eating 200+hp to turn itself, that is power the crank is still seeing. Honestly, I'd trust a stock crank before I trusted another Compstar.

I also vote to build it right the first time, you will DAMN sure be doing it again eventually when you're in the 800+rwhp range.

Also, I would personally stick with an LS2 block. They are plenty strong and can easily handle 900-1000 rwhp if you don't detonate on them. The up side is you save 80-90lbs of weight and more importantly its way easier to keep the water temps down with the aluminum block. Just my opinion...

OP
If I were you, I'd take your stock LS2 engine to a local builder, have them put rods/pistons in it, put head studs in it and call it good....Build it for less the $4k, have no weight penalty and not create potential heating issues. DONE... Unless your block is damaged, then thats another story.

Last edited by ajrothm; 10-20-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:20 AM
0Billy@MTI
Former Vendor

they are stage 2.5 PRC 243's milled .015 so probably 62cc?
I would think with a 62cc chamber you can get away with a -15cc to -20cc without completely killing your compression ratio and the bottom end torque with that YSI.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:22 AM
0Billy@MTI
Former Vendor

I have built plenty of N/A builds but this time i think its time for a professional to step in and actually do it right. I keep hearing LME so it looks like them and maybe TSP . Out of most the responseshear ive yet to see a "thompson" post so idk with them as of yet.
Don't overlook Thompson, they build a great motor too. Go with what fits your budget.

You are looking at all great engine assembly shops.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:30 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Don't overlook Thompson, they build a great motor too. Go with what fits your budget.

You are looking at all great engine assembly shops.

Ask Winters97GT about his Thompson 370 that didn't last a month....

Their Taiwan/Malaysian rings don't like boost...
The following users liked this post:
TTBlueZ06 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 11:46 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ajrothm
And I have also had a Compstar flex itself to death at 850 rwhp...

People tend to forget that the blower itself is eating 200+hp to turn itself, that is power the crank is still seeing. Honestly, I'd trust a stock crank before I trusted another Compstar.

I also vote to build it right the first time, you will DAMN sure be doing it again eventually when you're in the 800+rwhp range.

Also, I would personally stick with an LS2 block. They are plenty strong and can easily handle 900-1000 rwhp if you don't detonate on them. The up side is you save 80-90lbs of weight and more importantly its way easier to keep the water temps down with the aluminum block. Just my opinion...

OP
If I were you, I'd take your stock LS2 engine to a local builder, have them put rods/pistons in it, put head studs in it and call it good....Build it for less the $4k, have no weight penalty and not create potential heating issues. DONE... Unless your block is damaged, then thats another story.
My LS2 block is holding up fine so far. For a racecar I would definitely go a different route, but for a driver that gets beaten once in a while, it works fine.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

LME or Livernois is the only places I would go for a engine build (short of super high end stuff like Proline/Urban/etc)

Don't cheap out on crank.

Cubes is up to you. Friends 376ci Ysi makes near identical power to my 427 Ysi from 5-7k. I make a lot more torque from 2-5k, but from there up graphs are within 5hp of each other. He did a cheap basic piston/rod forged ls3 combo and I have a high end 427 lsx setup. He did finally wipe out the stock ls3 crank from flex. Just redid another 376 with better parts and is all good and making way more power than me now on a smaller motor. The low end from the cubes just makes it harder to hook. If I could go back I would probably do a smaller stroke.

Get notified of new replies

To Time for a shortblock for my YSI

Old 10-20-2016, 12:54 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

"OP
If I were you, I'd take your stock LS2 engine to a local builder, have them put rods/pistons in it, put head studs in it and call it good....Build it for less the $4k, have no weight penalty and not create potential heating issues. DONE... Unless your block is damaged, then thats another story."

This imo. but of course depends on your goals

I got an unusual deal but I way overthought my LSX block 427ci setup and doing it again would have not gone super crazy on the short block and spent more money on other exterior stuff.

agreed with lower stroke too. doing it again I probably would go with 376ci setup instead of my 427ci. I underestimated how hard it it so to hook up >900whp on the street and my car might be even faster on the street with less mid range actually.

agreed on LME though. also all the good engine builders will be backed up for at least a few months. it sucks but if I were you I'd just get ready to wait for awhile and just have LME build it.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:51 PM
TTBlueZ06
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Ask Winters97GT about his Thompson 370 that didn't last a month....

Their Taiwan/Malaysian rings don't like boost...

Here is another example, this TMS engine was sent to Mike for blueprinting. Numbers speak for themselves.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ine-build.html
Old 10-20-2016, 03:51 PM
Dyekid04
Instructor

Spoke with Bryan at LME and he was very personal and professional with everything. Pretty sure thats where im gonna end up going to for it. Now to decide 402 aluminum or 408 Iron . Hmmm

Quick Reply: Time for a shortblock for my YSI