C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:36 PM
harveyjl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default trans help

Ok so I got a friend with an F1x build (all brand new drive line parts). RPS quad Carbon clutch, tilton slave, tick master cylinder, DSS with solid couplers, RPM lvl7 TR6060 and a diff with a quaife.

are the build the car was backed out everything was fine went and drove it no issues for about a week, then took it out for some fun runs. Car made 5 pulls maybe and then all of a sudden it was having troubles getting into gear and wouldn't come out of gear. When the car was rolling down the road in gear and the clutch was pushed in it acted like the brake pedal was being pushed and would stop the car.

He took the car to a reputable shop and the clutch was removed, and the visually inspected, the clutch was sent to RPS to verify it was ok the tick was installed (is had a stock master before) and the tilton was checked and no issues found.

They shop finished the install after receiving the clutch back from RPS and when backing out of the shop in reverse the car would start rolling 3-4 mph and the clutch was pushed back in and the car would jerk and stop abruptly. Car does the same thing in first and second. We would get the car rolling and once it was moving leave the car in gear and depress the clutch and the car was acting like the brakes were being pushed on a warped rotor.

I put the rear end of the car on jack stands to try and replicate the issue and the wheels appeared to spin freely. Put car in first got the tires spinning and pressed in the clutch, tires continued to spin freely like normal. did the same in reverse and the tires spun freely.

Put the car on the ground put the car in neutral and pushed the car nothing was binding. Put the car in first gear and kept the clutch pressed in and 3 guys pushed the car 2-3 ft and then all of a sudden it would stop and we couldn't push it any further. Put the car in reverse with the motor off and pressed the clutch in and the car would roll 2-3 ft and then something would lock up and we couldn't push it any more. I am at a complete loss and cant figure this out. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:20 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like clutch isn't fully releasing.

Wouldn't care who said what about an inspection.. If you put the rear back up on stands, start it in neutral, clutch in and put it in first gear while leaving clutch fully depressed... and the rear tires move at all, it's not fully disengaged.

Shop should have checked slave clearance and shimmed as necessary.

Last edited by JDS99; 11-28-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:58 AM
harveyjl
Pro

Originally Posted by JDS99
Sounds like clutch isn't fully releasing.

Wouldn't care who said what about an inspection.. If you put the rear back up on stands, start it in neutral, clutch in and put it in first gear while leaving clutch fully depressed... and the rear tires move at all, it's not fully disengaged.

Shop should have checked slave clearance and shimmed as necessary.
correct me if I'm wrong but if the clutch isn't fully releasing the car would continue to go not stop when the clutch is depressed
Old 11-29-2016, 05:58 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyjl
correct me if I'm wrong but if the clutch isn't fully releasing the car would continue to go not stop when the clutch is depressed
Not entirely true. If the clutch werent disengaging all the way, the discs could rub and cause a slight bit of engagement. This certainly is not enough to cause a bucking after a few feet. You can check drag by placing the car into gear with the clutch in and revving the car. If the car rolls then the clutch may be dragging.

However, if there were a seal bypassing slowly in the master I could see it having your issue. Put the car on jack stands, start it, hold the clutch in, and let the car run while in gear that way. Do the wheels start spinning after a short time? If so, a seal is bypassing in your hydraulic system.. If not and it can run all day without spinning them up then you have something else going on.

Good luck
Old 11-29-2016, 06:52 PM
harveyjl
Pro

Originally Posted by User Omega
Not entirely true. If the clutch werent disengaging all the way, the discs could rub and cause a slight bit of engagement. This certainly is not enough to cause a bucking after a few feet. You can check drag by placing the car into gear with the clutch in and revving the car. If the car rolls then the clutch may be dragging.

However, if there were a seal bypassing slowly in the master I could see it having your issue. Put the car on jack stands, start it, hold the clutch in, and let the car run while in gear that way. Do the wheels start spinning after a short time? If so, a seal is bypassing in your hydraulic system.. If not and it can run all day without spinning them up then you have something else going on.

Good luck

thanks. I had my transmission guy go look at the car and he thinks the bolts to the drive shaft are backing out. I talked my friend into removing the car from the shop and I am going to take it all apart tonight and see what I find

Get notified of new replies

To trans help

Quick Reply: trans help