C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pressure Regulator Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:05 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Default Fuel Pressure Regulator Question

Hey all,
I'm more than likely going to be getting an ecs 1500 kit some time next year, but the car is currently setup for flex fuel and the stock pump is having issues keeping up when the ethanol content is high, so I'm dropping a walbro 450 in the tank and I decided to go ahead and setup a full return fuel system (with a provision for an external pump if I need it).

I already have most everything I need for the system but I had a few questions about the regulator (thinking of going with the fuelab single inlet regulator unless anyone has other suggestions).

First, I'm not sure if I'm going to use the stock rails or the holley rails that I have sitting on a shelf...not sure I really need the holley rails other than for aesthetics, since it is my belief that I can use the test port (4an I think) on the stock rail as the input for the regulator...am I incorrect in that thought?

Secondly, if I do go with that plan..do I just cap off the "outlet" of the regulator? The rails would feed the inlet of the regulator and I'd send the return through the factory feed.

Thanks for your time...and I know an ecs fuel system would be a simpler install but I want to go ahead and get this out of the way so that I'm comfortable pushing the car as it sits right now.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:00 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by sevinn
Hey all,
I'm more than likely going to be getting an ecs 1500 kit some time next year, but the car is currently setup for flex fuel and the stock pump is having issues keeping up when the ethanol content is high, so I'm dropping a walbro 450 in the tank and I decided to go ahead and setup a full return fuel system (with a provision for an external pump if I need it).

I already have most everything I need for the system but I had a few questions about the regulator (thinking of going with the fuelab single inlet regulator unless anyone has other suggestions).

First, I'm not sure if I'm going to use the stock rails or the holley rails that I have sitting on a shelf...not sure I really need the holley rails other than for aesthetics, since it is my belief that I can use the test port (4an I think) on the stock rail as the input for the regulator...am I incorrect in that thought?

Secondly, if I do go with that plan..do I just cap off the "outlet" of the regulator? The rails would feed the inlet of the regulator and I'd send the return through the factory feed.

Thanks for your time...and I know an ecs fuel system would be a simpler install but I want to go ahead and get this out of the way so that I'm comfortable pushing the car as it sits right now.
You can use 4AN off the rail using a female coupler into a 4-6AN union, a 6AN 180, 150 or 120° hose end to the regulator where you have a straight thread 10AN O-ring on the regulator side and a 6AN male flare on the other with the appropriate hose end mating with that. Use a -10 ORB fitting to block off the other end and 6AN to return to the tank. You probably already know, but for the sake of anyone else reading that might not, don't forget the block-off in the driver tank if you want the regulator to allow you to control the pressure. Without pulling the passenger tank, you still won't have full control of your fuel pressure.

Your second option is to interrupt the factory feed line on at least one end with an adapter fitting, converting it to 6 or 8AN, adding a matching AN tee to the regulator and then the same method at the regulator. Either run the line the entire way to the other end and convert it back or convert it back to a male EFI adapter and restore it at the other end. You have loads of ways you could make those connections in a clean way.

One thing I want to mention because I've seen it too many times is that it's a really bad idea to put a full AN flare fitting with an o-ring into the regulator because the flare often will protrude into the regulator so far that it kills the flow and can even interfere with the regulator operation.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
The following users liked this post:
sevinn (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:14 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance
You can use 4AN off the rail using a female coupler into a 4-6AN union, a 6AN 180, 150 or 120° hose end to the regulator where you have a straight thread 10AN O-ring on the regulator side and a 6AN male flare on the other with the appropriate hose end mating with that. Use a -10 ORB fitting to block off the other end and 6AN to return to the tank. You probably already know, but for the sake of anyone else reading that might not, don't forget the block-off in the driver tank if you want the regulator to allow you to control the pressure. Without pulling the passenger tank, you still won't have full control of your fuel pressure.

Your second option is to interrupt the factory feed line on at least one end with an adapter fitting, converting it to 6 or 8AN, adding a matching AN tee to the regulator and then the same method at the regulator. Either run the line the entire way to the other end and convert it back or convert it back to a male EFI adapter and restore it at the other end. You have loads of ways you could make those connections in a clean way.

One thing I want to mention because I've seen it too many times is that it's a really bad idea to put a full AN flare fitting with an o-ring into the regulator because the flare often will protrude into the regulator so far that it kills the flow and can even interfere with the regulator operation.
Thanks so much. This was really helpful.

I do have both block offs on the way so I'm glad you mentioned that as well.

My plan was to run a new feed through the rocker or tunnel depending on how lazy I'm feeling when I do the install; then run the return back through the factory feed into a bulkhead I purchased that has a provision for an external pump and return so that I didn't have to screw fittings directly into the tank. I might just plumb it as if I already have the secondary pump installed with a y block with a cap on one of the inlets so that its super easy to add a pump later if the 450 doesn't keep up on e85..

Thanks again...going to order the last of what I need today!

​​​​

Last edited by sevinn; 12-09-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pressure Regulator Question

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Regulator Question