C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to do prior to adding SC?

Old 01-05-2017, 10:37 PM
newbC6
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Things to do prior to adding SC?

So, I have a 2006 C6 with 80k on the odometer and picked up a used A&A V3 kit from a forum member. I wanted to ask the eperts on some of the things I should go ahead and change out when I'm putting it on in the spring?

I'm thinking harmonic balancer would be the most important thing, anything else anyone would suggest ? I live in the South so I may be doing the Camaro Hood vent mod if the temps get a little to high.

Oh and anyone know a good tuner in OKC area?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2017, 08:09 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Through cleaning of ac condensor/radiator.

Possibly a clutch.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:16 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'd add racetronix harness while you're at it, along with all the stuff already mentioned. Clutch might hold up depending on how you drive it/how much power you end up with. Maybe. Maybe not
Old 01-06-2017, 12:32 PM
C6-Sage
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought an A&A kit too. I'll be doing an ATI balancer and pinning it.
I'm also going to weld an extra bung for a wideband sensor. I would suggest that as well.
Then I either want to get the dash commander or find a clean way to mount a widebanad gauge. You may also want to get HPtuners (even if somoene else tunes it, you can later datalog or make small changes)

Stuff that car needs but not necessarily because of blower:
Coolant flush.
Diff fluid.
Trans fluid (already done)
Old 01-06-2017, 12:40 PM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Wheel/tire combo to get it to put down the power.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:16 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

wideband is nice, I'd say get some R888 rear tires at a minimum if you aren't already rolling on something sticky.

cleaning the condensor is a good tip also and easy to do while you have the front of the car apart.

find a tuner who has tuned supercharged vettes before too.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 AM
BoosTTed C6
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

What those guys before me have said and, of course, a Driver mod....,

Don't do the Camaro insert. Use the ACS insert/vent that fits the ZR1 window. The Camaro scoop protrudes into the engine bay a little bit. The other is flush to the bottom.

One day, when I get my car back from the shop, I'll take photos.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Twayneo1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I recently did an A&A over the winter myself and removing the steering rack and balancer is something i found i only wanted to do once, especially since i had to do it by myself, and putting a steering rack in by yourself is cause for many choice words.

If you have any inkling about doing a cam, take my advice and spend the extra money to do it. I regret pulling my car apart and not doing it when had the chance.

My tuner highly recommended a cam and headers both of which i have not done, but eventually will. The other thing i would absolutely do is move the coolant lines to the passenger side of the car. Here is a link to the forum i made after doing my install you might find some of it helpful : https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pictures.html
Old 01-07-2017, 01:25 PM
newbC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6-Sage
I just bought an A&A kit too. I'll be doing an ATI balancer and pinning it.
I'm also going to weld an extra bung for a wideband sensor. I would suggest that as well.
Then I either want to get the dash commander or find a clean way to mount a widebanad gauge. You may also want to get HPtuners (even if somoene else tunes it, you can later datalog or make small changes)

Stuff that car needs but not necessarily because of blower:
Coolant flush.
Diff fluid.
Trans fluid (already done)
Wide band I've debated. I probably should do it for peace of mind.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:26 PM
newbC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Twayneo1
Well I recently did an A&A over the winter myself and removing the steering rack and balancer is something i found i only wanted to do once, especially since i had to do it by myself, and putting a steering rack in by yourself is cause for many choice words.

If you have any inkling about doing a cam, take my advice and spend the extra money to do it. I regret pulling my car apart and not doing it when had the chance.

My tuner highly recommended a cam and headers both of which i have not done, but eventually will. The other thing i would absolutely do is move the coolant lines to the passenger side of the car. Here is a link to the forum i made after doing my install you might find some of it helpful : https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pictures.html
awesome. Good tip for the coolant lines. I think I'll probably hold off on the cam. I.may do headers if I can grab some decent priced ones.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:31 PM
newbC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6SC
What those guys before me have said and, of course, a Driver mod....,

Don't do the Camaro insert. Use the ACS insert/vent that fits the ZR1 window. The Camaro scoop protrudes into the engine bay a little bit. The other is flush to the bottom.

One day, when I get my car back from the shop, I'll take photos.
pics would be great. I've looked at the zr1 insert but couldn't tell if it would work on a base. But.it does.look better than the camaro vent.

Definitely going to have to get used to the power. I will either going toyo or Nitto street/strip tires on the back so maybe it will hook ok. Not sure what to expect on it though. Shooting for a conservative 540whp so maybe those tires will be alright for street use.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:00 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

for a base kit you should not be having any cooling issues assuming tuner is good and everything is operating properly so I highly doubt you "need" that at all.
if you want to vent the hood though I strongly recommend the track spec setup. fit perfectly, amazing customer service and extremely high quality, looks way better than the other options at least in my opinion.
I've never used r888 but an nt05r should hook that up easily on the street in probably every gear.

Last edited by neverstop; 01-08-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Hood vent should be a last ditch thing after every other cooling mod, or just done for looks. It barely does anything, so I wouldn't plan on doing it to address cooling issues.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:07 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Add a BAP to your list, if your used kit doesn't come with any kind of fuel system upgrade already. The Racetronix harness is a no-brainer, as pointed out already, and makes the BAP a plug and play deal. With those two mods, you should have more than enough fueling then for the power level you're shooting for.
Since you're in the South, I would also suggest a 160* or 178* thermostat. That's the easiest, cheapest mod to lower your ECTs, along with tweaking your fan settings.
For a reasonably priced alternative to headers, you could consider either Z06 or ZR1 takeoff manifolds and matching X-pipe, which will be a lot better than the stock log-type manifolds, and even better if you can get the mufflers to go with it.
A good wide band, coupled with a Dashlogic module, is also a good add-on for any modified vette.

Last edited by CI GS; 01-08-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:27 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Dont forget fluids like ps, sc fluid and coolant if the lower rad line needs to be modded. I would change the valve springs and seals for peace of mind.

Last edited by Pitufina; 01-08-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:42 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Unreal
Hood vent should be a last ditch thing after every other cooling mod, or just done for looks. It barely does anything, so I wouldn't plan on doing it to address cooling issues.
truth.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:21 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I do not think stock injectors with a bap are up to the job.
I would do headers,mid pipe and exhaust.
I would do a cai also.
Then do a tune.
Plus what CI GS said.

Have fun

Last edited by zrracer; 01-09-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Get notified of new replies

To Things to do prior to adding SC?

Old 01-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 730 Likes on 472 Posts

It depends what your used A&A kit came with. A new complete A&A V3 Si kit comes with the CAI, BAP, intercooler, brackets, hoses, clamps, belt, BOV, S/C oil, bolts, radiator bracket spacers, correct fuel injectors and the optional Dewitts radiator for the Z51/GS.

Which fuel injectors came with the kit? #80's are used for manuals, #60's for autos.

At the time of Install of S/C:

1. ATI HB pinned.
2. DeWitts radiator recommended.

Before or after Install of S/C:

1. Possibly clutch, depending on rwhp.
2. Stickier tires/wider rims.
3. Headers or Z06/ZR1 exhaust to reduce higher EGT's (exhaust gas temps).
4. Z06 fuel pump when the oem pump goes out (80k current miles).

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 01-10-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:42 PM
newbC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
It depends what your used A&A kit came with. A new complete A&A V3 Si kit comes with the CAI, BAP, intercooler, brackets, hoses, clamps, belt, BOV, S/C oil, bolts, radiator bracket spacers, correct fuel injectors and the optional Dewitts radiator for the Z51/GS.

Which fuel injectors came with the kit? #80's are used for manuals, #60's for autos.

At the time of Install of S/C:

1. ATI HB pinned.
2. DeWitts radiator recommended.

Before or after Install of S/C:

1. Possibly clutch, depending on rwhp.
2. Stickier tires/wider rims.
3. Headers or Z06/ZR1 exhaust to reduce higher EGT's (exhaust gas temps).
4. Z06 fuel pump when the oem pump goes out (80k current miles).
Good list.
The used kit thankfully had 60lbs(A6) and a BAP . I'm thinking about getting them flow tested prior to install. Good tip on exhaust, I was trying to stay away from dropping 1k on headers so if those bolt up those should be cheaper?

The fuel pump does.worry me since it will be running with a BAP. Dang, horrsepower is not cheap
Old 01-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 730 Likes on 472 Posts

[QUOTE=newbC6;1593836854]Good list.
The used kit thankfully had 60lbs(A6) and a BAP . I'm thinking about getting them flow tested prior to install. Good tip on exhaust, I was trying to stay away from dropping 1k on headers so if those bolt up those should be cheaper?

The fuel pump does.worry me since it will be running with a BAP. Dang, horrsepower is not cheap:

About a month after the S/C install, my stock fuel pump went out. Heat destroys theses pumps. I was advised to keep a min. of 1/4 tank of gas when going into boost, otherwise you should be fine. Fuel aids in the cooling of the pump. Unfortunately, the advice came after my fuel pump went out. Once you get over the 650 rwhp range, there are better fuel systems to run along with Meth. See where this is going, "Dang, horsepower is not cheap"

I went with the full Z06 exhaust because I live in CA, headers will not pass our smog inspections. Since I have a manual the install was a complete bolt on. The axle back on auto's will need some bending, however you can retain your axle back mufflers and have a muffler shop run reducers on the mid pipe. The Z06/ZR1 exhaust is pretty damn good. No questions, headers will give you a little more power and more so in the mid range.

Today, I was reading the Northern CA regional forum, someone is selling the LS7 exhaust manifolds, cat down pipes, midpipe and 02 extensions for $350.00 plus shipping and paypal fees. Also, check C6 parts forum.

Get a good tune and enjoy!

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 01-10-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things to do prior to adding SC?