C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day at the track. Pulley on SC came loose

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM
4LtVette
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bad day at the track. Pulley on SC came loose

So first time at the track at Irwindale Ca. I've ran my car a few times before in Mexico but this was the first time at the track.
My car is a 2009 6 speed with the ECS kit + Meth Injection.
Pulled up to do a burnout before the race and the serpentine belt came off.
Pulled the car to inspect and noticed the pulley on the SC came loose.
There was no bolt/washer holding it in place.
My set up was professionally installed by a shop and it only has about 500-600 miles since i got it done.
I called ECS to get a replacement pulley, washer, bolt and serpentine belt.

Does anyone know how to get the dam pulley on SC to come off?
I tried taking it off yesterday and it doesn't just slip off.
I sprayed it with wd40 and moved it around to lubricate it.
I have a pulley puller but doesn't seem like it would work for this as there is no bolt holes on the SC that would hold the Puller bolts.
There is a keyway that is suppose to keep it aligned but since the bolt came loose it is not alined anymore.
See attached pictures. Any info would be helpful.

Has this happened to anyone here yet? Anything else I should check or replace while i'm dealing with this?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The bolt on mine wasn't tight, only halfway snug, when I received the head unit. Sounds like installer didn't tighten it down to me.

The pulley is a PITA to get off the first time.. there is a SC pulley puller you can buy if it's really stuck but it shouldn't be necessary. I ended up doing basically what you're doing and prying it off but it was a pain the first time. I think I used a small 3 jaw puller but it's been a while. I always think I almost screwed up the pulley when I was pulling it off, so be careful.

edit: GET A NEW KEY TOO if yours is missing.. looks like it is

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-13-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Should be a key in there.

Seen it happen to others that didn't snug that up after install. Can't really tighten it until belt goes on.

I've always used a towel/pry bar to get the SC pulley off.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:48 PM
4LtVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by schpenxel
The bolt on mine wasn't tight, only halfway snug, when I received the head unit. Sounds like installer didn't tighten it down to me.

The pulley is a PITA to get off the first time.. there is a SC pulley puller you can buy if it's really stuck but it shouldn't be necessary. I ended up doing basically what you're doing and prying it off but it was a pain the first time. I think I used a small 3 jaw puller but it's been a while. I always think I almost screwed up the pulley when I was pulling it off, so be careful.

edit: GET A NEW KEY TOO if yours is missing.. looks like it is
I tried prying it but seemed the the shaft of the SC was being pulled too and didn't want to mess that up. So I should be fine with the "prying method"?
I did manage to slide it out about 1/2" then sprayed wd40 again and pried it out another 1/4" but it seemed like that would take hours.

I bought another pulley anyways so if I screw the one i'm removing I wouldn't mind. As long as the shaft of the SC is fine.
And I did order another key.

Originally Posted by Unreal
Should be a key in there.

Seen it happen to others that didn't snug that up after install. Can't really tighten it until belt goes on.

I've always used a towel/pry bar to get the SC pulley off.
There should but I think it came off when the bolt came loose. I already ordered another one so I'll be putting that on as soon as I'm able to remove the old pulley.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering on how the hell i was going to torque down the bolt if the pulley spins. I didn't want to grab the pulley with vise grips. Putting on the belt then torquing it down makes sense.

I'll give it another go today after work.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:01 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Since it's partly off already, try gripping the pulley and slightly rocking it from side to side to see if it loosens. That usually works for me. Looks like your pulley got dinged pretty good too. Make sure that you either dress that nicely with something like a small triangle file or a dremel before you put the belt on (or replace the pulley) or it will probably eat up a couple of ribs on your belt.
BTW: although tightening the bolt after you've installed the pulley works fine, I have a Craftsman strap wrench, which is more or less designed for removing filters and such without damaging them, which works great for doing jobs like this. It has a handle with an adjustable rubber strap that wraps around the object you're trying to hold and grips it very tightly when you push against the handle.

Last edited by CI GS; 02-14-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:57 PM
4LtVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by CI GS
Since it's partly off already, try gripping the pulley and slightly rocking it from side to side to see if it loosens. That usually works for me. Looks like your pulley got dinged pretty good too. Make sure that you either dress that nicely with something like a small triangle file or a dremel before you put the belt on (or replace the pulley) or it will probably eat up a couple of ribs on your belt.
BTW: although tightening the bolt after you've installed the pulley works fine, I have a Craftsman strap wrench, which is more or less designed for removing filters and such without damaging them, which works great for doing jobs like this. It has a handle with an adjustable rubber strap that wraps around the object you're trying to hold and grips it very tightly when you push against the handle.
I tried moving it side to side while pulling and its really on there.
I ended up renting a 3 jaw puller so I'll give that a go later.
Yes the pulley is pretty dinged up and I already have a replacement one.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:38 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Not really a "bad" day at the track. You didn't trash your engine or hit a wall or die.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:52 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Not really a "bad" day at the track. You didn't trash your engine or hit a wall or die.
Seriously.. I call that a good day at the track because you can get it running for a hundred bucks or so. Reading other people posting about tight pulley fits on their kits has me wondering because my pulley was a loose fit on the shaft, would rock back and forth even with the keyway installed. Thought is was normal.

I'd also get the installer to reimburse you for the work
Old 03-28-2017, 04:43 PM
4LtVette
Advanced

Quick update:

Finally got it fixed. Took it to a speed shop got the pulley swapped out and had him replace the harmonic balancer since it had a wobble.
Labor wasn't so bad for both items, $400.00
I've read dealers charge about $750-$850 just to swap out the harmonic balancer.

Car was re-tuned for peace of mind and will hit the track soon.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad day at the track. Pulley on SC came loose

Quick Reply: Bad day at the track. Pulley on SC came loose