C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat from supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:46 AM
mzeitler
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default heat from supercharger

Ok i'm pretty much settled on the Magneson Heartbeat supercharger for my 2012 c6 after talking to everyone i can about which is best. My next question is heat under a stock hood. Is this going to be a problem? Lingenfelter is going to do the work and they put in a 160 degree thermostat and the Maggie has an intercooler but i don't want to deal with over heating. Am i going to have to replace the stock hood?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:17 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Where are you located?

What do you use the car for?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:24 AM
mzeitler
Intermediate

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Where are you located?

What do you use the car for?

This is just a weekend driver. I'm in Illinois
Old 02-15-2017, 11:24 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'd have no concerns then
Old 02-15-2017, 11:28 AM
mzeitler
Intermediate

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I'd have no concerns then

thanks
Old 02-15-2017, 10:13 PM
maiettar1
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mzeitler
thanks
what made you decide that the maggie was the best route to go? Lingenfelter.....great product and work but i definitely feel you are getting jacked up prices just to carry their badge on the side of your car....spots like Livernois and Katech aren't too far from your area. did you think about using a centrifugal supercharger?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:11 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

You'll have little if any under hood heat issues with a stock radiator. With a Dewitts, there's even less. Good addition if you ever park with the engine idling with A/C on in 95+ degree heat. I've done that with my Heartbeat setup and the ECT's will approach 200, but I've never seen it higher than that. And the A/C keeps blowing cold.

Your stock hood is fine. Enjoy the ride!
The following users liked this post:
CI GS (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You'll have little if any under hood heat issues with a stock radiator. With a Dewitts, there's even less. Good addition if you ever park with the engine idling with A/C on in 95+ degree heat. I've done that with my Heartbeat setup and the ECT's will approach 200, but I've never seen it higher than that. And the A/C keeps blowing cold.

Your stock hood is fine. Enjoy the ride!

Check out the other threads referring to the Maggie Heartbeat installs, there's quite a few. Those that are running them seem to be very happy. I'm one of them...
The following users liked this post:
CI GS (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:45 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

I agree with the two gentlemen above (old motorhead and Chiselchst) who, like me, have Heartbeat blower. Heat and a hood change are two things you do not need to worry about with the Heartbeat. With a 160 thermostat, it will run cooler than a stock C6.
The IATs are among the lowest of any type of blower. With the stock out of the box HX system, I used to experience IATs of around 10* above ambient cruising around. Now, with a simple expansion tank upgrade, I have them down to +2* above ambient at cruising, and no more than 10* idling along in traffic.
Just to give you an idea of how cool this blower runs, I can drive my car around for over an hour, drive it into the garage, shut it down, lift the hood and rest my hand directly on the blower lid and hold it there. Ask anyone you know with another type of supercharger to do that.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:37 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CI GS
I agree with the two gentlemen above (old motorhead and Chiselchst) who, like me, have Heartbeat blower. Heat and a hood change are two things you do not need to worry about with the Heartbeat. With a 160 thermostat, it will run cooler than a stock C6.
The IATs are among the lowest of any type of blower. With the stock out of the box HX system, I used to experience IATs of around 10* above ambient cruising around. Now, with a simple expansion tank upgrade, I have them down to +2* above ambient at cruising, and no more than 10* idling along in traffic.
Just to give you an idea of how cool this blower runs, I can drive my car around for over an hour, drive it into the garage, shut it down, lift the hood and rest my hand directly on the blower lid and hold it there. Ask anyone you know with another type of supercharger to do that.
Shoot Sammy, I could run the snot out of mine, slam on the brakes, pop the hood, and hold my hand on the blower without my hand getting hot.

I get a chuckle out of the guys that tell you how hot the Heartbeat runs without ever having even seen one in person....much less ever owned or even driven one.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Shoot Sammy, I could run the snot out of mine, slam on the brakes, pop the hood, and hold my hand on the blower without my hand getting hot.

I get a chuckle out of the guys that tell you how hot the Heartbeat runs without ever having even seen one in person....much less ever owned or even driven one.
Yep, you got it Rod. That "heat sink" crap is a much a myth as "it falls flat on the top end". Mine keeps making boost and pulls like a bitch right up to 7,000. Now, if I could just get another 2 psi out of it...
Good to hear from you, BTW. I was starting your wonder if you had given up on us. Keep in touch.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:52 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CI GS
Yep, you got it Rod. That "heat sink" crap is a much a myth as "it falls flat on the top end". Mine keeps making boost and pulls like a bitch right up to 7,000. Now, if I could just get another 2 psi out of it...
Good to hear from you, BTW. I was starting your wonder if you had given up on us. Keep in touch.
I keep up with you guys. Gotta stay up on the latest. GM is scrapping SS production in Australia in a few months. Probably won't build it over here either. So, if this one ever ***** the bed, I'll probably be back in a Vette. Camaro's don't do it for me and foreign cars (yes, I know my SS is technically foreign, but it is a Chevrolet), Ferds and Mopars need not apply.

Here's a little description of why I really enjoy this 4 door https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7463&FORM=VIRE

Last edited by old motorhead; 02-17-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

This is just a weekend driver. I'm in Illinois
Where at in IL?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 AM
mzeitler
Intermediate

Just added a Dewitts radiator to my Lingenfleter build. Thanks for all the feed back guys
Old 02-27-2017, 08:14 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Just added a Dewitts radiator to my Lingenfleter build. Thanks for all the feed back guys
So, how did this turn out? Did LPE finish the car yet?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:19 AM
mzeitler
Intermediate

i am scheduled for first week of April at LPE and i dropped shipped a Dewitts direct fit radiator to them to help with heat.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:20 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

i am scheduled for first week of April at LPE and i dropped shipped a Dewitts direct fit radiator to them to help with heat.
April?! Man, the wait would kill me! Let us know how it turns out.
BTW: What are you doing for a fuel system upgrade? If youre keeping the standard 96mm pulley, you probably wouldn't need that. If you install a BAP (boost-a-pump), you could go with the 90mm upper and pick up a good bit of power (~35-40whp) from the additional 2 psi of boost (~8.5psi vs. ~6.5psi) without having to change injectors. It will run fine with 93 octane like that. My car was a lot of fun like that. So much so that I couldn't leave it alone...
Do you have headers on it already?

Get notified of new replies

To heat from supercharger

Old 02-27-2017, 10:42 AM
mzeitler
Intermediate

I'm leaving it up to LPE, this is their Maggie 600 hp package it includes injectors and i believe a boost pump. I'm waiting until April so i don't have to deal with snow.... car is not even driven in the rain let alone snow....
Old 02-27-2017, 11:53 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Okay. Got it. I'm not sure myself what LPE does with their various packages. It'll be fun, no matter what.
Ah, snow! I keep forgetting about that. Wish we had some here every once in a while - it got up to frickin 86 degrees outside yesterday. Ah, well, the grass is always greener in the neighbour's yard...
Old 02-27-2017, 11:54 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Manual or auto tranny?

Quick Reply: heat from supercharger