C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cog drive manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:44 PM
1evilzee
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cog drive manual trans

ok guys so I came across an f2 with cog drive for my c6 z06 obviously won't be going in the stock ls7 okay on to the questions ..

has house of boost bracket with iw cog balancer along with flip drive sooo I've read its a hit or miss on belts and manual trans ,so if anyone can shoot me a few tips or recommend anything as far as setting it up so I won't go through belts would be greatly appreciated .. I am aware of the sprag pulley however if I can run without one I'd rather do so .. shooting for 20-22psi
Old 03-17-2017, 09:53 AM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

With a manual car especially, I don't know why you would not want to run the sprag. It would save a lot of tension on the belts whenever you let off.

Alignment is key and so is the right amount of tension (needs certain amount of slack), which is different than running a normal ribbed belt that most try to crank down as tight as they can.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:08 PM
1evilzee
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yur2slo
With a manual car especially, I don't know why you would not want to run the sprag. It would save a lot of tension on the belts whenever you let off.

Alignment is key and so is the right amount of tension (needs certain amount of slack), which is different than running a normal ribbed belt that most try to crank down as tight as they can.

I'm open to running the sprag however Seems more then a few people have had issues with it and prefer to not use it .. as far as the slack goes how much are we talkn here ? Say an inch of slack ? Also my idler or tensioner has quite a bit of in and outward play not sure if that is gonna hurt me .. thanks in advance !

Last edited by 1evilzee; 03-17-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:44 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

12 rib and a strong spring tensioner ( or as many ribs as you can get )

Screw cogs.

Of course how risky cogs might be depends on how you intend to drive the car. Lots of fast rpm changes, throttle modulation, traction loss etc etc will all be very hard on the blower and drive.

So if you do any of those and do them often....cogs are perhaps not a great idea.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 03-19-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:12 AM
playtoy
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I have been running a cog driven f2 for a couple of years in my m6. I run the sprag pulley on my car and have found out it's all in the set up weather your belt lives or not. I run a BDS belt and don't tighten the crap out of the tensioner. On my initial set up I had some problems with the belts shredding but have not had that problem in a long time. Set it up right and you won't have problems.

If you haven't purchased that f2 system shoot me a pm. I'm toying with the idea of selling my f2 setup. Maybe we can work something out.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 PM
b16gsr
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by playtoy
I have been running a cog driven f2 for a couple of years in my m6. I run the sprag pulley on my car and have found out it's all in the set up weather your belt lives or not. I run a BDS belt and don't tighten the crap out of the tensioner. On my initial set up I had some problems with the belts shredding but have not had that problem in a long time. Set it up right and you won't have problems.

If you haven't purchased that f2 system shoot me a pm. I'm toying with the idea of selling my f2 setup. Maybe we can work something out.
this guy knows well. trust him. been a long time since i have seen you around. glad to see it still working versus what everyone says can be done.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:07 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Lots of naysayers out there. That's never going to change after the horrible start that cog systems got in the Vette world.

I had the Dallas Performance cog setup. I had loads of problems. I didn't feel it was fair to pawn my troubles off on someone else, so I studied cog systems, spoke with a number of engineers with various companies, including Gates power transmission division. After over a year of research and design work, I came up with some changes that were more conducive to belt survival. I put the system together and beat the living crap out of it before selling it. I sold it to a customer of Vengeance that, after over 2 years, still has the cog system on his car and runs it without issue. It's no cruiser either. He's done several racing events with it, rowing gears and never had one problem with it. No sprag either.

Tried to reply to your PM but your box was full.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.

Get notified of new replies

To Cog drive manual trans

Quick Reply: Cog drive manual trans