C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.9s in 1/8 6l80

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 11:04 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5.9s in 1/8 6l80

Took the car to the track. Last time out with the YSI I broke the trans/diff ears first pass. So I ordered the century stuff and upgraded my spare trans and modified my subfloor brace I had purchased for my stock diff to fit my Z06 diff.

I was on my pump/meth tune and it tagged limiter slightly on 2-3 and 3-4 shift. The car weighs in right under 3600lbs, had to be 3500 for the class.

Unfortunately the 3rd pass I found out my modified brace wasn't enough for the 1.3 60fts and it broke the trans case again. So back to the drawing board. Thankfully I can just switch all my good stuff into another case. I plan to stay away from the track for a while now and just enjoy my 5 second street car.

Needless to say I'm loving the blower life. It hits so hard with this Circle D converter.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2017, 11:05 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Slightly better shifting
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2017, 11:06 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Some air
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2017, 11:07 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by The_Nigel
Took the car to the track. Last time out with the YSI I broke the trans/diff ears first pass. So I ordered the century stuff and upgraded my spare trans and modified my subfloor brace I had purchased for my stock diff to fit my Z06 diff.

I was on my pump/meth tune and it tagged limiter slightly on 2-3 and 3-4 shift. The car weighs in right under 3600lbs, had to be 3500 for the class.

Unfortunately the 3rd pass I found out my modified brace wasn't enough for the 1.3 60fts and it broke the trans case again. So back to the drawing board. Thankfully I can just switch all my good stuff into another case. I plan to stay away from the track for a while now and just enjoy my 5 second street car.

Needless to say I'm loving the blower life. It hits so hard with this Circle D converter.
Wow. That's to bad. I know the feeling. I stopped going to the track to just enjoy it also. Kept breaking things.

You're problem is not very common. Gotta be something going on to cause that.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:12 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

It's odd for sure. I feel if I had a more involved bracing system it would be okay. Not mad Though as I'm stoked about the times. I figured it would have went 5.8 on the last run since the temps had dropped so much.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:23 AM
nenji01
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats moving for sure what converter do you have? And engine mods? Also what hp do you think its putting down with the ysi now?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Nice times. That 1.30 60' must feel good too. Another broken trans case, not so much so...
What kind of mounts are you running? There are a few guys out there running 8s in the 1/4 with this transmission, so I wonder what their setup is?
Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Only the trans case broken? What about the rear shaft? Rear diff? I am just getting my '12 GS back together after breaking the rear trans shaft, trans to rear adapter plate, and stock Z06 rear. I can't even think about blowing up this stuff again!!!

BIGMAC
1998 C5 (Avatar Pic)
2012 C6 GS (Still in shakedown after a 3 year build )
Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Wow. That's to bad. I know the feeling. I stopped going to the track to just enjoy it also. Kept breaking things.

You're problem is not very common. Gotta be something going on to cause that.
I would love to see you run that thing on a track though, just once.
I have to say that I don't know how you can really enjoy a 1000+hp car other than on a track though. I took my puny little 650ish out on the road yesterday and was reminded just how careful you have to be when overtaking a car going ~30mph, even with drag radials on it. With regular runflat street radials, that power level is downright suicidal, IMV.
If I had anywhere near 1000whp, I would've probably wrecked it already. Just saying...
Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
Only the trans case broken? What about the rear shaft? Rear diff? I am just getting my '12 GS back together after breaking the rear trans shaft, trans to rear adapter plate, and stock Z06 rear. I can't even think about blowing up this stuff again!!!

BIGMAC
1998 C5 (Avatar Pic)
2012 C6 GS (Still in shakedown after a 3 year build )
You ordered those Hinson mounts yet?
All kidding aside, I think having stiffer mounts must help from keeping the diff from rotating in the cradle. The stocks mounts have the structural integrity of porridge, in my view.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:05 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

I have Pfadt engine and trans mounts.

It broke the main shaft again too. Haven't torn it apart yet but lost ability to hold itself in park again.

I'm gonna pickup a Z06 diff kit that has upper and lower bars and make it work on 6l80 so it'll have 4 mounting points.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:08 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I have Pfadt engine and trans mounts.

It broke the main shaft again too. Haven't torn it apart yet but lost ability to hold itself in park again.

I'm gonna pickup a Z06 diff kit that has upper and lower bars and make it work on 6l80 so it'll have 4 mounting points.
Not trying to nitpick, but one of the reasons that I think the Hinsons are better than the Pfadt trans mounts for high output applications is the solid design of the Hinsons, which I think would tend to help hold the diff from rotating, whereas the pfadt version with a single bolt in the middle will allow the diff to rotate. I'm not suggesting that the Hinson mounts alone will stop this kind of thing from happening, but it must help somewhat. Compare the pics below to see what I'm trying to say.
Please keep us posted on what you do with the brace. I think there's quite a few folks out there, myself included, that would like a sturdy brace setup for the A6.
Attached Images   
Old 03-26-2017, 01:23 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

That's certainly a possibility. This time I'm going to take the trans mounts apart and see if I see any twist marks on them.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:01 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

This picture makes it worth it
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2017, 03:22 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I haven't been following you C6 guys as much as I should. Your car launches amazingly well. I'm sorry you're breaking parts as that sure puts a thorn in your side when trying to enjoy the car. I'm nervous that we're going to start breaking drivetrain parts this year in the search for 1.teen 60's ourselves. Good luck with your car and I'll be following your progress with great interest.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:59 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

This picture makes it worth it
NICE!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

That's certainly a possibility. This time I'm going to take the trans mounts apart and see if I see any twist marks on them.
You might not be able to see anything, because I think they are designed like that to allow that kind of rotation. I can only imagine they have a steel sleeve/bushing that the bolt goes through? If so, that sleeve will probably just rotate inside the poly bushing, just like on a poly control arm bushing. I would just buy a set of the Hinsons and throw those in when you put it back together, and sell the pfadt ones.

Get notified of new replies

To 5.9s in 1/8 6l80

Old 03-27-2017, 12:05 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by smokinstorm
I haven't been following you C6 guys as much as I should. Your car launches amazingly well. I'm sorry you're breaking parts as that sure puts a thorn in your side when trying to enjoy the car. I'm nervous that we're going to start breaking drivetrain parts this year in the search for 1.teen 60's ourselves. Good luck with your car and I'll be following your progress with great interest.

That's some serious squat!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:54 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

For a point of 1/4 mile reference, when it was too windy at our Corvette challenges, the 8.90 index class would be ran at 5.90 in the 1/8th.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:47 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Quick Reply: 5.9s in 1/8 6l80