Notices
C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted C6 Corvette Performance Parts, OEM, Aftermarket, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements

New offering...WC hood in fiberglass, sale on carbon fiber, as well

Old 12-02-2008, 11:48 AM
0BlackdogSpeedShop
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New offering...WC hood in fiberglass, sale on carbon fiber, as well

By popular demand, we have decided to offer our Blackdog World Challenge hood in vacuum infused, post cured, fiberglass construction.

This is produced from the same mold that produces the race car hood, so you'll be getting the same track and wind tunnel tested part that we compete with.

Unlike 'chop and shoot' or 'hand layup' processes, the vacuum infusion construction ensures complete impregnation of the fibers, which leads to an extremely strong part.

Another potential problem with mass produced fiberglass parts is shrinkage. The polyester resins used by many manufacturers continue to cure, and shrink, long after the part is shipped, and often long after it is installed. This can cause problems ranging from weave becoming visible to cracking. Blackdog's parts are constructed using superior resins, and are post cured to ensure that all curing and the resulting shrinkage is complete before it leaves the mold.

One point that has been made before concerns water entry, as our hood has no previsions for water deflection. This is not an oversight, or an accident. Anything we would put beneath the louvers, no matter how well designed, would interfere with airflow, which would negatively affect down force and heat extraction.

And more importantly, water intrusion through our hood doesn't hurt anything. For one, the highest louver in the hood is right over top of the throttle body. So, the majority of the engine and components are still covered by the hood, and any water entering through the louvers is primarily entering dead space. And further, most everything in the engine compartment is really quite waterproof, as it doesn't exactly live in the driest of environments with the stock hood. We run this same hood on our street Z06, and it has seen plenty of rain. And if any of you saw the Sebring race last year, you know the race car basically swam its way around the track, with no ill effects.

To go along with this new offering, we're also going to drop the prices of our carbon fiber versions of the WC hood.

Raw (clear) carbon hood...this is the one on our street Z06...$3100

Paintable carbon. This is also 100% carbon fiber, but uses an opaque gelcoat, and doesn't require the exact cloth placement that the raw hood uses...$2500

Post cured fiberglass...$1800.

All prices are FOB Lincolnshire. All hoods are direct bolt on replacements for the factory C6 hood. We can also offer these in super light weight, 'pin on' versions for racing. Since the race hoods are basically just the outer skin of the street hoods, we can offer them at a substantial savings. Email, call, or PM for quote.

Toby

Last edited by BlackdogSpeedShop; 12-04-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Gotcha
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

Very Interested. I'll try to give you guys a call today
Old 12-03-2008, 12:12 PM
0BlackdogSpeedShop
Former Vendor

I've also got some used / prototype hoods that I could let go for a good price...

I have one carbon fiber street hood, painted 06 Z06 silver. This is the hood that was on our street Z06 until we switched to the clear carbon part. While this one is painted, it looks like it wasn't prepped all that well (typical rush job), and has a couple of bubbles. So, it will need to be repainted. The bubbles are only in the paint...the carbon underneath is just fine. I can let this one go for $1800...this is basically the same hood we sell for $2500.

I also have two carbon fiber 'race' hoods...these will need pins, and don't have the under structure of the bolt on hood. One is new, still in carbon / gelcoat, and the other is painted silver with a blue stripe, as it was used on the race car. Both are earlier revisions of our current hood...the louvers are slightly different. We can do the unpainted one for $1500, and the painted one for $1300.

Toby
Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in a vented street hood in fiberglass. How much are they and do you paint match them?

I am in st Louis so I could bring the car to you or at least pick the hood up.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
0BlackdogSpeedShop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rjung
I am interested in a vented street hood in fiberglass. How much are they and do you paint match them?

I am in st Louis so I could bring the car to you or at least pick the hood up.
The hood price has gone up slightly since I originally posted this...the post cured fiberglass hood is $1900.

We don't paint here, but I could probably get you a quote on painting.

I don't keep fiberglass parts in stock, so lead time would be 3-4 weeks, plus painting.

Toby
Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
0BlackdogSpeedShop
Former Vendor

By popular demand, we now have another version of our carbon fiber body panels that we call our Street Series. The outer layer is still carbon fiber, but subsequent layers are fiberglass. So, you get the look of clear carbon, but without the price of our race car quality, 100% carbon parts.

http://www.blackdogspeedshop.com/ind...gory&Itemid=65

We've also added several parts, like a ZR1/Z06 chin spoiler, a C6 rear spoiler, ZR1 style rear fender flaps, and a World Challenge inspired front fascia and spliter for C5's.

Get notified of new replies

To New offering...WC hood in fiberglass, sale on carbon fiber, as well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New offering...WC hood in fiberglass, sale on carbon fiber, as well