C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help tuning TCC for A6 shift points

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:52 PM
C5pilot
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help tuning TCC for A6 shift points

I changed my A6 shift points with HPtuners. Now S mode will hold gears longer and downshift sooner (S mode is EXACTLY the same as D mode from the factory). My question is, where do I program the TCC apply/release settings? Is there a rule of thumb to get close? HPtuners forum hasn't been much help for the A6. Some suggest setting the TCC to lock 2mph after a shift. But the stock tune has tables where the TCC is actually applied BEFORE a shift in higher gears.

Thanks

Last edited by C5pilot; 01-11-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 PM
PB40X40
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-13-2008, 11:38 AM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

PM our tuner ChrisN203 and he can help.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:59 PM
C5pilot
Race Director

Thanks Tracy, I'll do that. BTW, I decided to try turning the Master TM switches off but the downshifts were just too abrupt for life here in the cold north. The car already gets squirrely on downshifts, no need to make traction an ON/OFF situation. BUT, for kicks, I turned just the Upshift TM off, and WOW, what a difference! I can't wait to get back to the track to try those shifts out. I just hope I don't break anything using DR's.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:41 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5pilot
Thanks Tracy, I'll do that. BTW, I decided to try turning the Master TM switches off but the downshifts were just too abrupt for life here in the cold north. The car already gets squirrely on downshifts, no need to make traction an ON/OFF situation. BUT, for kicks, I turned just the Upshift TM off, and WOW, what a difference! I can't wait to get back to the track to try those shifts out. I just hope I don't break anything using DR's.
Your on the right track, and you shouldn't break anything.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I found out the same thing on my '07 A6 with HP Tuner. Disabling Power Downshifts made it too abrupt (even in hot weather and I have no traction problems) and seemed hard on the tranny. I did disable "upshifts" and that saved me .15 in the 1/4 mile from that change alone.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 PM
C5pilot
Race Director

Originally Posted by siffert
I did disable "upshifts" and that saved me .15 in the 1/4 mile from that change alone.
Now that's what I'm talking about. I just have to wait for the tracks to reopen to prove what I feel. I can't wait until they unlock the TM tables that will allow better 60's.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

what do you mean by unlocking the tables? Is there still no way to completely disable the TM on the A6? I am very new to this but my understanding was that with the predator tuner you could lesson the effect but with more complete tuners (those able to access the a6 controll module such as hptuner) TM could be completely disabled.....what is the full story?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:33 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bent
what do you mean by unlocking the tables? Is there still no way to completely disable the TM on the A6? I am very new to this but my understanding was that with the predator tuner you could lesson the effect but with more complete tuners (those able to access the a6 controll module such as hptuner) TM could be completely disabled.....what is the full story?
No. You cannot eliminate TM from launches, just at upshift points using the lastest HP Tuner software V2.2

Last edited by siffert; 02-18-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

that sux....does any tuner offer this ability? What about custom tunes such as chuck coW etc?

siffert you are making it a habit of answering all of my questions.....thanks!!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:07 PM
siffert
Safety Car

that sux....does any tuner offer this ability? What about custom tunes such as chuck coW etc?

siffert you are making it a habit of answering all of my questions.....thanks!!!!
There are no miracles in tuning...if sombody had a tune to completely eliminate TM, would you not think that would be the only C6 A6 tuner of choice for drsg racers? But you cannot make gold out of corn, can you? As far as "custom tune", I think every tune by any tuner (even yourself) is a custom one, save for e-mail order.

I have an HP tuner. Since I plan on only using my drag tires at the strip and to and fro, I dont see the need to adjust the tire diameter in HP Tuner, like you mentioned elsewhere. Why should one? I know it has no effect on your ET/MPH. Though I would guess you scanned logs of the "speed in mph" info would off by 4.5% or so along with your shift points.

Last edited by siffert; 02-18-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

I have an HP tuner. Since I plan on only using my drag tires at the strip and to and fro, I dont see the need to adjust the tire diameter in HP Tuner, like you mentioned elsewhere. Why should one? I know it has no effect on your ET/MPH. Though I would guess you scanned logs of the "speed in mph" info would off by 4.5% or so along with your shift points.

Once again you have the answer.....I read that shift points are controlled by mph instead of rpm so that someone running a shorter than stock wheel/tire combo could possibly hit the rev limiter before reaching the stock programmed shift mph. I also read where ABS/TCS/AH can be thrown a loop by different-than-stock tire diameter. While I won't be using TCS/AH I will be relying on the brakes and I would like them functioning properly.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:55 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Once again you have the answer.....I read that shift points are controlled by mph instead of rpm so that someone running a shorter than stock wheel/tire combo could possibly hit the rev limiter before reaching the stock programmed shift mph. I also read where ABS/TCS/AH can be thrown a loop by different-than-stock tire diameter. While I won't be using TCS/AH I will be relying on the brakes and I would like them functioning properly.
I tried heavy braking with my drags on, no problemo. Though I think I'll run a test with changing diameter setting. Never thought about it until I got my habit of reading your posts

Also, I personally recommend only shutting TC off, not AH. AH has nothing to do with straight line performance or TM and could save your skin on the strip. In the C6, the TS-Off setting gives you the aggressive form of Active Handling (AH), a crucial tool in the event the rear gets loose with those hot Hoosiers of yours. In contrast, Competitive Driving mode relaxes AH. That’s undesirable unless the car’s on a road-race course or auto-X.

Last edited by siffert; 02-18-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Yes, I can do it.......

Yes, I can do it....It must be done in person. I only wish I could do it through the mail.

I'm not using HPT to do it....

Most people mistakingly think that it is a button you push....Like anything in life....It's much more than it appears on the surface. This vehicle is a comprehensive "SYSTEM" and pushing a button or flipping a switch not gonna do it....

The engine and trans must be programmed as a "SYSTEM" to get quality results.

I have done more A6 cars than anyone out there...I can help you.

Additionally, I can custom tailor the shift feel to your liking.

Call me any time and I'll explain.
Chuck CoW
Old 02-18-2008, 04:24 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

So Chuck, when are you coming to Louisiana>>>>
Old 02-18-2008, 04:35 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Yes, I can do it....It must be done in person. I only wish I could do it through the mail.

I'm not using HPT to do it....

Most people mistakingly think that it is a button you push....Like anything in life....It's much more than it appears on the surface. This vehicle is a comprehensive "SYSTEM" and pushing a button or flipping a switch not gonna do it....

The engine and trans must be programmed as a "SYSTEM" to get quality results.

I have done more A6 cars than anyone out there...I can help you.

Additionally, I can custom tailor the shift feel to your liking.

Call me any time and I'll explain.
Chuck CoW
you can do what Chuck?
Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default I might be in Kentucky Early next week.....

So Chuck, when are you coming to Louisiana>>>>
I might be in Kentucky Early next week....SHHHHHHHHHHHH This one is top secret.....Call. me if you wanna know more.....

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To Need help tuning TCC for A6 shift points

Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
you can do what Chuck?
I think every C6 A6 1/4 mile drag racer on these forums would be very interested in anybody being able to completely eliminate TM from an A4/A6 1/4 mile WOT run, including eliminating TM at launch. I and many others have data logged many times with trying different programming but TM is always there at launch with timing advance going negative at launch.

I know so far it has not been done, but am quite open for anybody to prove to us wrong, of course with empirical data showing no loss of timing at launch.

Last edited by siffert; 02-18-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM
C5pilot
Race Director

Originally Posted by siffert
I know so far it has not been done, but am quite open for anybody to prove to us wrong, of course with empirical data showing no loss of timing at launch.
No disrespect for Chuck, but when you tune as many as he has, you'd expect to see real data before long. Where are all the sub 1.9 60's from just a tune? You'd expect people who pay for custom tunes to be at the track more often.

Does anyone know of any threads with data of just a tune and DR's consistantly hitting sub 1.9s? I've only heard rumors.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 PM
siffert
Safety Car

No disrespect for Chuck, but when you tune as many as he has, you'd expect to see real data before long. Where are all the sub 1.9 60's from just a tune? You'd expect people who pay for custom tunes to be at the track more often.

Does anyone know of any threads with data of just a tune and DR's consistantly hitting sub 1.9s? I've only heard rumors.
There was one guy with a 1.85/11.99 on run flats with CAI and tune but nobody has shown any before data so for all I know he did a 1.89 & 12.2 before his CAI and tune.

I am not sure you'll find what your looking for. Most with DR's are serious enough to have headers, cai's etc. I'd just like to see some before and after tune 1/4 mile times. I know I picked up .15 from TM upshifts disabled and another .12 from additional tuning off my installed headers.

Last edited by siffert; 02-21-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help tuning TCC for A6 shift points