C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding mods w/ no tune... watching A/F on dyno, but curious about timing advance

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Adding mods w/ no tune... watching A/F on dyno, but curious about timing advance

I've added a Halltech intake and ported stock intake manifold to my LS3 and plan to add C6Z manifolds/cats/3" x-pipe to my stock mufflers.

It's easy to see the change in A/F on the dyno as I add the mods, but I can't tell what's happening w/ the timing. Is there anything I need to worry about? I'd assume the stock timing is low enough that I wouldn't need to turn it down lower w/ mods, but just wanted to check.

As far as the reason for no tune, the car only has 900 miles on it and I'd like to get through a few thousand more miles and maybe year of ownership before I tune it incase a manufacture defect appears that could be blamed on a tune.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
I've added a Halltech intake and ported stock intake manifold to my LS3 and plan to add C6Z manifolds/cats/3" x-pipe to my stock mufflers.

It's easy to see the change in A/F on the dyno as I add the mods, but I can't tell what's happening w/ the timing. Is there anything I need to worry about? I'd assume the stock timing is low enough that I wouldn't need to turn it down lower w/ mods, but just wanted to check.

As far as the reason for no tune, the car only has 900 miles on it and I'd like to get through a few thousand more miles and maybe year of ownership before I tune it incase a manufacture defect appears that could be blamed on a tune.
Just curious, what were the changes in A/F at cruise speed vs. WOT?

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 02-21-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Just curious, what were the changes in A/F at cruise speed vs. WOT?

the a/f has only been checked on the dyno which has been WOT... is there something I should be looking out for at cruise speed?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

the a/f has only been checked on the dyno which has been WOT... is there something I should be looking out for at cruise speed?
The MAF sensor could detect a change in air flow and the ECM can compensate for that change. In a lean condition, the ECM could add fuel to compensate back to the factory setting. Therefore, I was just curious to what the A/F was at either cruise or WOT?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
The MAF sensor could detect a change in air flow and the ECM can compensate for that change. In a lean condition, the ECM could add fuel to compensate back to the factory setting. Therefore, I was just curious to what the A/F was at either cruise or WOT?
Do you mean the MAF sensor can detect a change in air flow and the ECM can adjust timing advance as well?

Here's the dyno stock vs. w/ the mods showing the A/F

Unless there's something I'm missing, I'm pretty comfortable w/ the A/F.. more just curious about the timing advance since I can't see that or timing pull w/o a scan tool.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Do you mean the MAF sensor can detect a change in air flow and the ECM can adjust timing advance as well?

Here's the dyno stock vs. w/ the mods showing the A/F

Unless there's something I'm missing, I'm pretty comfortable w/ the A/F.. more just curious about the timing advance since I can't see that or timing pull w/o a scan tool.
Thanks for posting the graph. Your base numbers are really good, along with a nice steady gain throughout the rpm range. Your A/F ratio is in line with the stock graph, except for a richer reading between 3500-4900 rpm. If you had a lean conditon, the knock sensors could pull timing, but your graphs do not indicate that. An aftermarket tune could produce a few more hp, but with the risk of voiding your warranty. Good job and good numbers!

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 02-21-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

And the stock timing map is conservative enough that I'll never have too much timing advance as long as the A/F is in check will I?

I guess what prompted this was someone saying they had to take a degree or two out when they added a ported intake manifold... just wondering if I need to pay attention to timing in addition to A/F, or if I can just watch the A/F and assume that the stock timing is ok for the car.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

And the stock timing map is conservative enough that I'll never have too much timing advance as long as the A/F is in check will I?

I guess what prompted this was someone saying they had to take a degree or two out when they added a ported intake manifold... just wondering if I need to pay attention to timing in addition to A/F, or if I can just watch the A/F and assume that the stock timing is ok for the car.
Looks like you should be fine, just keep on eye on the A/F. Enjoy your mods
Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Your ported intake manifold will void the warranty just like a tune will. You may as well at this point.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DSteck
Your ported intake manifold will void the warranty just like a tune will. You may as well at this point.
A bolt on part could be removed if need be w/o having a gap in the recorded vehicle history like swapping an ECU would have. I also feel it would be less likely for my dealership to argue about an intake and ported stock intake than a tune. Seems the tune warranty voiding comes from higher up and can't really be looked over.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:43 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

You'd be surprised. If you have a stock, untouched manifold to put back on then it'd be a non issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Adding mods w/ no tune... watching A/F on dyno, but curious about timing advance

Quick Reply: Adding mods w/ no tune... watching A/F on dyno, but curious about timing advance