C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble Codes P0171 & P0174

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM
popfly
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Codes P0171 & P0174

I resently installed a hurricane air intake on my 2008 C6. I'm getting lean codes P0171 & P0174. Will this damage the engine? If so how many miles can be driven before damage? Also how do you clear the check engine light in the dash display?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,811 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

If DTC P0174 is also set?
Visually/physically inspect the following items:

* Vacuum hoses for splits, kinks, and proper connections. Refer to Emission Hose Routing Diagram .
* Crankcase ventilation valve and/or system for leaks. Refer to Crankcase Ventilation System Description .
* Contaminated fuel. Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .
* PCM and sensor grounds are clean, tight and in the proper locations.
* Air induction system after MAF sensor for vacuum leaks.
* Engine mechanical failure. Refer to Base Engine Misfire Diagnosis in Engine Mechanical 5.7L.

My guess is a Vac leak. Are you sure you have a good seal at all of the band clamps?

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 05-20-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

That Hurricane intake probably threw your MAF calibration totally out of whack... I'd look into a retune after you verify that you don't have a vacuum leak.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

I installed the hurricane last week. No codes. I don't foresee a need for a tune as I haven't change the airflow but I may have changed the temperature.

Elemr
Old 05-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck
That Hurricane intake probably threw your MAF calibration totally out of whack... I'd look into a retune after you verify that you don't have a vacuum leak.
Agreed, it is very common to see lean codes with a CAI on the LS3s.
Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I installed the hurricane last week. No codes. I don't foresee a need for a tune as I haven't change the airflow but I may have changed the temperature.

Elemr
Is yours and LS2 or LS3?

If LS2, I am not surprised you have not seen any issues...
Old 05-20-2010, 04:09 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Agreed, it is very common to see lean codes with a CAI on the LS3s.

Is yours and LS2 or LS3?

If LS2, I am not surprised you have not seen any issues...
Hey, it's not fair to beat up on the aged! I missed his ls3. Yep. I have the LS2, oh well. The LS3 is too fussy!
Old 05-20-2010, 04:14 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

Elemr
You should still get a retune, because it does impact your MAF calibration, even if you don't get a check engine light. Different intake geometry neccessitates a change in the MAF calibration, unless the intake's geometry is so precisely calibrated that it matches the factory MAF calibration.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:19 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Crap. I DO NOT want to put a tune in this car. The mods I do are not supposed to cause a tune requirement. If I toss a code, the damn Hurricane is going up for sale and I'll go back to stock.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 PM
popfly
7th Gear

Thanks guys! I had a custom tune installed two weeks ago, and I have an appointment this weekend to have the bugs worked out. My big question was I'm a little worried about driving with the check engine light on. I don't want to damage anything getting it back to the shop. I'll let you know how everything turns out. By the way, for 10 or 15 miles after the custom tune (and before the check engine light) she ran like a dream.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Where are you located?... I'm worried that you are going back to the same tuner.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:19 AM
AndyAmador
Instructor

When I installed the vararam air intake I through the same codes and I replaced my oxygen sensors and it went away. Also my car was running a little crappy when it was in closed loop mode and when I physically disconnected my oxygen sensors and the car went into open mode on my scanner it ran like a champ. May help , may not but just throwing it your way anyway. hope you get the problem fixed.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:52 AM
popfly
7th Gear

I live in Albuquerque, who would you suggest?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:37 PM
tlm2010gsc
Instructor

I have a hurricane on a ls3. It throws leans if I floor it or let it idle for a longer period of time. I've had it programmed and still throws codes. They keep telling me there is an vacuum leak but the engine, hoses and connections are all like new. Can't find a thing. Anybody have the same issue? How did you fix yours?

Some said replace the oxygen sensors?
Old 04-26-2015, 01:26 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I got the lean codes with my Superbee when too much air was getting to the filter because of the shroud being opened too much. Went away when I reduced the airflow. Turbulent air to the Hitachi MAF is what causes the code, per Halltech, and their MAF forward design makes it even more sensitive. Although you don't have the MAF forward design, the results are probably the same. It certainly can damage the engine to run too lean. Remapping the MAF through a tune is the logical way to correct it, or reduce the airflow (turbulence) to the filter. Hope they can fix it for you by tune.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 PM
tlm2010gsc
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
I got the lean codes with my Superbee when too much air was getting to the filter because of the shroud being opened too much. Went away when I reduced the airflow. Turbulent air to the Hitachi MAF is what causes the code, per Halltech, and their MAF forward design makes it even more sensitive. Although you don't have the MAF forward design, the results are probably the same. It certainly can damage the engine to run too lean. Remapping the MAF through a tune is the logical way to correct it, or reduce the airflow (turbulence) to the filter. Hope they can fix it for you by tune.
How did you determine you had too much air to handle it. the tuner says he can't adjust any higher for it than what I have.

i was going to try to cleam the MAF while another member said they replaced their o2 sensors to stop it. Can't seem to find the problem.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:28 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tlm2010gsc
How did you determine you had too much air to handle it. the tuner says he can't adjust any higher for it than what I have.

i was going to try to cleam the MAF while another member said they replaced their o2 sensors to stop it. Can't seem to find the problem.
Jim Hall is very clear on the LS3 with the Hitachi MAF being highly sensitive to turbulent air. The Superbee moves the MAF forward, which evidently makes it even more sensitive. Air coming from the shroud, small openings, that flows to the side of the filter is ok. The opening I had expanded because I had taken out the shroud pin on the left side, so airflow opened it towards the middle of the shroud. That caused turbulent air to get to the filter. I taped it up: problem solved. Then I opened the shroud a bit on the extreme left but kept the pin in. Works fine now and gets plenty of outside air. Jim is ok with the small openings but only on the extreme sides of the shroud.

Note, this is for the Halltech Superbee 105S and may not apply to other CAIs. I don't think any other ones move the MAF forward. Halltech does it to lean out the engine, which is good as they run richer than hell, but too much air leans it too much, hence the codes I got and you're getting. But the fact is the LS3 doesn't like turbulent air. Cleaning the MAF is a good idea. Redirecting airflow to the sides of the filter would probably fix your problem. Maybe you can block off the center, but keep the sides open. Good luck. Just don't run too lean for too long.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:09 PM
tlm2010gsc
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
Jim Hall is very clear on the LS3 with the Hitachi MAF being highly sensitive to turbulent air. The Superbee moves the MAF forward, which evidently makes it even more sensitive. Air coming from the shroud, small openings, that flows to the side of the filter is ok. The opening I had expanded because I had taken out the shroud pin on the left side, so airflow opened it towards the middle of the shroud. That caused turbulent air to get to the filter. I taped it up: problem solved. Then I opened the shroud a bit on the extreme left but kept the pin in. Works fine now and gets plenty of outside air. Jim is ok with the small openings but only on the extreme sides of the shroud.

Note, this is for the Halltech Superbee 105S and may not apply to other CAIs. I don't think any other ones move the MAF forward. Halltech does it to lean out the engine, which is good as they run richer than hell, but too much air leans it too much, hence the codes I got and you're getting. But the fact is the LS3 doesn't like turbulent air. Cleaning the MAF is a good idea. Redirecting airflow to the sides of the filter would probably fix your problem. Maybe you can block off the center, but keep the sides open. Good luck. Just don't run too lean for too long.
you know now that you say that no one seemed to know what that side attachment (on the right side) was on the standard LS3 OEM filter set-up. it almost seemed like an air pressure volume release or soemthing to do with air because it seemed it did nothing but created a spacce for air to expand before it hit the MAF. The dealer tech guys had no ides back then either why the LS3's had this set up.

Now you got me really thinking.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:59 PM
KathysownC6
1st Gear

Default Codes P0171 with P0174

Hi all,

I just bought an 06, LS2 coupe. I love it, until my check engine light came on.
I had re-installed the Halltech intake on a Friday night (it was replace with a stock intake to pass smog). I filled the tank with Premium gas on Saturday. A few hours later the check engine light came on.
1st, people said it's the gas cap as Corvettes can be picky with that. So, I took it off and put it back on. (my other car is a Lexus and never had this problem). I drove approx. 80 miles and the light went off for about 20 miles. Then the check engine light came back on.
any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 09-04-2015, 11:11 AM
jackwabbit703
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by popfly
I resently installed a hurricane air intake on my 2008 C6. I'm getting lean codes P0171 & P0174. Will this damage the engine? If so how many miles can be driven before damage? Also how do you clear the check engine light in the dash display?
Same thing happened to me last week but it was only after I put in a K&N filter. Inside the intake, I saw think oil streaks. Took CRC cleaner, clean the MAF, let the K&N dry out in the sun for few hours, stuck it back it and code is gone after good 15 miles of drive and the code never came back.

I also checked the long term fuel trim level and shot term fuel trim level and it well within normal range (using data monitoring on the scanner). Anything over 10 can be consider running little lean. I believe the DTC code is thrown when it reaches 20.

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble Codes P0171 & P0174

Quick Reply: Trouble Codes P0171 & P0174